On Computers and Men
The title of the article was inspired by the novel by John Steinbeck "Of Mice and Men" (1937) and the poem by Robet Burns about the deception of human plans. Even the best of them often lead astray, or their far-reaching negative effects are revealed. As it seems, nowadays nature ("mice") and men (people) are in a breakthrough period - in the geological sense between the old and the new era, the Holocene and the Anthropocene, in the cultural sense - between the analogue and digital era that can be - and it should actually be called a digit. Levi-Strauss in his essay "Raw and cooked" points to the groundbreaking for the emergence of human culture the use of fire in the preparation of food, and therefore the transition from nature to culture, and its foundation - the kitchen . At present, this new phase of transition can be seen in the digitization of interpersonal communication and its current correlation - cross-linking. It was announced by the famous Turing machine (1936), a computer design and layout, which was realized in the 1940s and 1950s, and enter in mass production at its end, networked on a global scale in the 1990s and make mobile in the second decade of the 21st century in the form of a smartphone. (original abstract)
- Bolter, J. D. The Digital Plenitude: The Decline of Elite Culture and the Rise of New Media, Cambridge: The MIT Press, 2019.
- Bolter, J. D. Człowiek Turinga. Kultura Zachodu w erze komputera, trans. by T. Goban-Klas, Warszawa: PiW, 1991.
- Castells, M. Społeczeństwo sieci, trans. by M. Marody et al., Warszawa: PWN, 2008.
- Domingos, P. The Master Algorithm: How the Quest for the Ultimate Learning Machine Will Remake Our World, New York: Basic Books, 2015.
- Harrari, Y. N. 21 Lessons for the 21st Century, New York: Spiegel & Grau, 2018.
- Bolter, J. D. Examining and Changing a World of Media, http://leading-edge.iac.gatech.edu/humanistic-perspectives/examining-and-changing-a-world-of-media./
- Vernadsky, V. https://www.geochemsoc.org/files/4813/4436/8118/gn125.pdf.
- Wiernadski, W. https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/WÅadimir_Wiernadski.
- Bolter, J. D. https://www.digitalplenitude.net/.
- Laskowska, M., Marcyñski, K. Komunikacja społeczna według Benedykta XVI, Kraków: Petrus, 2016.
- Lévi-Strauss, C. Surowe i gotowane, trans. by M. Falski, Warszawa: Wydawnictwo Aletheia, 2010
- Shannon, C. A Mathematical Theory of Communication, The Bell System Technical Journal 27, 1948, pp. 379-423, 623-656.