Regional Differentiation of the Service Sector Development in Selected European Countries
The aim of the work is to assess the contemporary state of structural changes in the service sector in the basic territorial division units of France, Germany, Poland and Ukraine, with particular emphasis on the group of producer and business services considered as one of the leading factors of regional development differentiation. Very significant differences were found in the level of development and structure of regional service systems of the countries surveyed, which essentially reflect their different socio-economic experience. Attention was also paid to the presence of certain universal, typical for all considered countries, developmental regularities, which concern primarily the concentration of producer and business services in the most prosperous regions. They constitute, in each case, specific poles of growth, in which the most important developmental impulses are transferred successively to other territorial units of the country.(author's abstract)
- Beyers, W.B. (2005). Services and the changing economic base of regions in the United States. Service Industries Journal, 25 (4), 461-476.
- Bryson, J.R., Rusten, G. (2005). Spatial divisions of expertise: Knowledge intensive business service firms and regional development in Norway. Service Industries Journal, 25 (8), 959-977.
- Deza, X.V., López, M.G. (2014). Regional Concentration of Knowledge-Intensive Business Services in Europe. Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space, 32 (6), 1036-1058.
- Eurostat (2018). Regional statistics by NUTS classification. Retrieved from: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/regions/data/database.
- Genaro, D., Melchor, E. (2010). The impact of the tertiarization process in Spanish economic growth from a regional perspective. Service Industries Journal, 30 (3), 359-374.
- Jennequin, H. (2008). The evolution of the geographical concentration of tertiary sector activities in Europe. Service Industries Journal, 28 (3), 291-306.
- Moyart, L. (2003). The Role of Producer Services in Regional Development: What Opportunities for Medium-Sized Cities in Belgium? The Service Industries Journal, 25 (2), 213-228.
- Peneder, M., Kaniowski, S., Dachs, B. (2003). What Follows Tertiarisation? Structural Change and the Role of Knowledge-Based Services. The Service Industries Journal, 23 (2), 47-66.
- Skórska, A. (2016). Determinanty i perspektywy rozwoju sektora usług w Polsce - zmiany wewnątrzsektorowe. Prace Komisji Geografii Przemysłu Polskiego Towarzystwa Geograficznego, 30 (4), 7-20.
- State Statistics Service of Ukraine (2018). Multidomain statistical information. Retrieved from: www.ukrstat.gov.ua.
- World Bank (2018). World Development Indicators. Retrieved from: https://databank.worldbank.org/data/source/world-developmentindicators.