Are Incomes a Key Determinant of the Levels of Ousehold Sight Deposits During a Financial Market Downturn? The Case of the Eurozone Countries
The paper investigates the significance of households' characteristics for the levels of their sight deposits in the eurozone countries - which, according to the European Banking Authority (EBA), are primarily dependent on household incomes. The analysis is based on household-level data and applies regression models. Its main finding is that the effect of annual gross incomes of households was statistically significant in most of the eurozone countries. However, a broader set of household characteristics revealed various mechanisms of the formation of sight deposits. The priority significance of incomes was confirmed only in four member states.(original abstract)
- Bologna, P., Is there a role for funding in explaining recent U.S. banks failures? IMF Working Paper, WP/11/180, pp. 1-28, 2011.
- Brandmeir, K., Grimm, M., Heise, M., Holzhausen, A., Steck, G., Allianz global wealth report 2012, https://www.allianz.com/v_1347875767000/media/press/document/other/ Global-Wealth-Report-2012-englisch.pdf (accessed: 15.03.2017).
- Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2015/61 of 10 October 2014 to supplement Regulation (EU) No 575/2013 of the European Parliament and the Council with regard to liquidity coverage requirement for credit institutions, OJ L 11, 17.01.2015, pp. 1-36.
- Cussen, M., O'Leary, B., Smith, D., The impact of the financial turmoil on households: A cross country comparison, http://www.cbfsai.ie/publications/Documents/The%20Impact%20 of%20the%20Financial%20Turmoil%20on%20Households%20A%20Cross%20Country%20Comparison.pdf (accessed: 15.03.2017).
- Directive 2013/36/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 June 2013 on access to the activity of credit institutions and the prudential supervision of credit institutions and investment firms, amending Directive 2002/87/EC and repealing Directives 2006/48/EC and 2006/49/EC, OJ L 176, 27.06.2013, pp. 338-436.
- Dziechciarz, J. (ed.), Ekonometria. Metody, przykłady, zadania [Econometrics. Methods, Examples, Problems], pp. 1-112. WUE, Wrocław, 2013.
- ECB, The eurosystem household finance and consumption survey: Results from the first wave, ECB Statistics Paper Series, 2/April, pp. 1-112, 2013.
- EBA, Consultation Paper, Draft guidelines on retail deposits subject to different outflows for purposes of liquidity reporting under Regulation (EU) No 575/2013 (Capital Requirements Regulation CRR), EBA, London, 2013a.
- EBA, Guidelines on retail deposits subject to different outflows for purposes of liquidity reporting under Regulation (EU) No 575/2013, on prudential requirements for credit institutions and investment firms and amending Regulation (EU) No 648/2012 (Capital Requirements Regulation CRR), EBA, London, 2013b.
- EBA, Overview of the potential implications of regulatory measures for banks' business models, EBA, London, 2015.
- Kochaniak, K., Regulatory thresholds of household deposit stability in the euro area: Neglected factors and omissions made, Panoeconomicus, OnLine-First (00):11-11, pp. 1-37, 2017, DOI: 10.2298/PAN170117011K.
- Kufel, T., Ekonometria. Rozwiązywanie problemów z wykorzystaniem programu GRETL [Eco-nometrics. Solving problems using GRETL programme]. Wydawnictwo
- Naukowe PWN, Warsaw, 2013. McQuinn, K., Woods, M., Modelling the corporate deposits of Irish financial institutions: 2009-2010, Central Bank of Ireland Research Technical Papers, 2/RT/12, pp. 1-26, 2012.
- Podolec B., Wybrane aspekty analizy warunków życia ludności w Polsce. Metody ilościowe w badaniach empirycznych [Chosen aspects of analysis of populations' life conditions in Poland]. Krakowskie Towarzystwo Edukacyjne, Oficyna Wydawnicza AFM, Cracow, 2014.
- Regulation (EU) No 575/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 June 2013 on prudential requirements for credit institutions and investment firms and amending Regulation (EU) No 648/2012, OJ L 176, 27.6.2013, pp. 1-337.
- Wahrenburg, M., Kaffenberger, B., Fragmentation in the European retail deposit market and implications for loan availability in European member states, "SAFE White Paper", No. 31, pp. 1-11, 2015.