An Empirical Analysis Of Corporate Capital Structure and Financial Performance of Listed Conglomerates In Nigeria
The relationship between capital structure and firms' financial performance has attracted the attention of many researchers both locally and globally. The paucity of empirical evidence from Nigeria in this regard, especially on Nigerian conglomerate firms, portends the need for further research. Against this backdrop, the study investigated the impact of capital structure on the financial performance of listed conglomerates in Nigerian using descriptive statistics, pairwise correlation and panel data regression technique to analyze the secondary data extracted from the annual reports and accounts of the six (6) selected conglomerates for the period 2008 to 2017. The study found that financial leverage proxy by total debt ratio, long-term debt ratio and short-term debt ratio have significant impact on the selected firms' financial performance proxy by return on assets, except debt to equity ratio that reveals an insignificant impact on return assets (ROA). Firm size and growth also reported a significant effect on the financial performance of the selected firms. The findings is in tandem with the proposition of the agency cost theory in the Nigeria settings but with caution considering the facts that firms in Nigeria were largely finance through short term debt obligation as against long term debt funding that was presumed in the agency cost theoretical proposition. It is therefore recommended that managers of companies should be guided when seeking credit advances from the financial market as it is important when considering the appropriate capital mix that optimize firm value.(original abstract)
- Abdeljawad, I., Mat-Nor, F., Ibrahim, I., & Abdul-Rahim, R. (2014). Dynamic capital structure trade-off theory: evidence from Malaysia. International Review of Business Research Papers, 9 (6), 102-110.
- Abdul, G.K. (2010). The Relationship of Capital Structure Decisions with Firm Performance: A Study Of The Engineering Sector Of Pakistan. COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Vehari.
- Abor, J. (2008). Determinants of the Capital Structure of Ghanaian Firms. Research Paper African Economic Research Consortium, 179.
- Adesina, J.B., Nwidobie, B.M., & Adesina, O.O. (2015). Capital Structure and Financial Performance in Nigeria. International Journal of Business and Social Research, 5(2), 21-31.
- Adesola, W. A. (2009). Testing static trade-off theory against pecking order models of capital structure in Nigerian quoted firms. Global Journal of Social Sciences, 8(1), 61-76.
- Akinlo, O. (2011). Determinants of capital structure: Evidence from Nigerian panel data. African Economic and Business Review, 9(1), 1-16.
- Akintoye, I.R. (2009). Impact of capital structure on firms' performance: the Nigerian experience. European Journal of Economics, Finance and Administrative Sciences, 4(3), 233-243.
- Akinyomi, O.J. (2013). Effect of Capital Structure on Firm Performance: Evidence from Nigeria Manufacturing Industry. International Journal of Innovative Research & Studies, 2(9), 469-480.
- Alshatti, A.S. (2015). The Effect of Capital Structute on Financial Performance of the Jordanian Commercial Banks. Journal of investment management and Financial Innovation, 12(1), 338-345.
- Amraoui, M., Ye, J., Shinta, A.H.H. and Hapzi, A. (2017). The impact of capital structure on Firms performance in Morocco. International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering & Management, 6(10), 011-016.
- Armen, H., Gayane H., & Hassan, T. (2004). Determinants of target capital structure: The case of dual debt and equity issues. Journal of financial economics, 71 (3), 517-540.
- Asimakopoulos, I., Samitas, A., & Papadogonas, T. (2009). Firm-specific and economy wide determinants of firm profitability: Greek evidence using panel data. Journal of Managerial Finance, 35(11), 930-939.
- Bandyopadhyay, A. (2005). Effect of Capital Structure on Firms' Product Market Performance: Empirical Evidence from Indian Manufacturing. Economic and Political Weekly, 40(9), 866-876.
- Berger, A.N., & Bonaccorsi di Patti, E. (2006). Capital structure and firm performance: A new approach to testing agency theory and an application to the banking industry. Journal of Banking & Finance, 30(4), 1065-1102.
- Berger, A.N., & Mester, L.J, (1997). Inside the Black Box: What Explains Differences in the Efficiencies of Financial Institutions? Journal of Banking and Finance, 895-947.
- Dawood, M.H.A.K, Moustafa, E.I., & El-Hennawi, M.S. (2011). The determinants of capital structure in listed Egyptian corporations. Middle Eastern Finance and Economics, 9, 83-99.
- De Miguel, A., & Pindado, J. (2001). Determinants of capital structure: new evidence from Spanish panel data. Journal of Corporate Finance, 7, 77-99.
- Ebaid, E.I. (2009). The effect of capital-structure choice on firm performance: empirical evidence from Egypt. The Journal of Risk Finance, 10(5), 477-487.
- Ebimobowei, A., Okay, O. E., & Binaebi, B. (2013). Capital Structure and the Operating Performance of Quoted Firms in the Nigerian Stock Exchange. Research Journal of Finance and Accounting, 4(5), 6-22.
- Fattouh, B, Harris, L., & Scaramozzino, P (2002). Capital structure in South Korea: a quantile regression approach. Royal Economic Society Annual Conference, 70, 1-34.
- Fosu, S. (2013). Capital structure, product market competition and firm performance: Evidence from South Africa. The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, 53(2), 140-151.
- Gwatidzo, T. (2009). Determinants of capital structure in Africa (Unpublished PhD thesis). University of Witwaterstrand, South Africa.
- Harris, M., & Raviv, A. (1991).The Theory of Capital Structure. The Journal of Finance, 46(1), 297-355.
- Harvey, C.R., Lins, K.V., & Roper, A.H. (2004).The effect of capital structure when expected agency costs are extreme. Journal of Financial Economics, 74(1), 3-30.
- Ismail, F. (2006). A study of alternative capital structure theories in the Malayasian context (PhD thesis). University of Nottingham.
- Jensen, M.C., & Meckling, W.H. (1976). Theory of the firm: managerial behaviour, agency costs and the ownership structure, Journal of Financial Economics, 2, 305-360.
- John, K., & Senbet, L.W. (1998). Corporate governance and board effectiveness. Journal of Banking & Finance, 22(4), 371-403.
- Kennedy, P. (2008). A Guide to Econometrics. Malden, Mass: Blackwell Publishing.
- Khalaf, A. (2013). The Relationship Between Capital Structure and Firm Performance: Evidence from Jordan. Journal of Finance and Accounting, 1(3), 41-45. doi: 10.11648/j.jfa.20130103.11.
- Khrawish H.A., & Khraiwesh, A.H. (2010). The determinants of the capital structure: evidence from Jordanian industrial companies. Journal of King Abdulaziz University: Economics and Administration, 105 (3055), 1-48.
- Kim, H., Almas, H., & Dany, A. (2005). Dynamics of capital structure: The case of Korean listed manufacturing companies. Asian Economic Journal, 20 (3), 275-302.
- King, M.R., & Santor, F. (2008). Family values: Ownership structure, performance and capital structure of Canadian firms. Journal of Banking & Finance, 32 (11), 2423-2432.
- Kumar, M.A.S, Dhanasekaran, M., Sandhya, S., & Saravanan, R. (2012). Determination of financial capital structure on the insurance sector firms in India. European Journal of Social Sciences, 29(2), 288-294.
- Levent, C., & Ersan, E. (2012). The determinants of corporate debt ratio: an empirical analysis on Turkish corporations. International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, 95, 151-162.
- Mahvish, S., & Qaisar, A.M. (2012). Determinants of capital structure - a study of oil and gas sector of Pakistan. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 3(10), 395-400.
- Majumdar, S.K., & Sen, K. (2010). Debt in the Indian Corporate Sector: Its effects on firm strategy and performance. Decision, 37(3), 0304-0941.
- Manos, R. (2001).Capital Structure and Dividend Policy: evidence from emerging markets (Doctoral dissertation) University of Birmingham.
- Margaritis, D., & Psillaki, M. (2007). Capital Structure and Firm Efficiency. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 34 (9-10), 1447-1469.
- Margaritis, D., & Psillaki, M. (2010). Capital Structure, equity ownership and firm performance. Journal of Banking & Finance, 34, 621-632.
- Maxwell, O.O., & Kehinde, E.E. (2012). Determinants of Corporate Capital Structure in Nigeria. International Journal of Economics and Management Sciences, 1(10), 81-96.
- Miller, M. (1977). Debt and taxes, Journal of Finance, 32, 261-275.
- Modigliani, F., & Miller, M.H. (1963), Corporate Income Taxes and the Cost of Capital: A Correction. American Economic Review, 53, 433-443.
- Modigliani, F., & Miller, M.H. (1958). The Cost of Capital, Corporate Finance and the theory of investment. American Economic Review, 48, 261-97.
- Myers, S.C. (1977). Determination of Corporate Borrowing. Journal of Financial Economics, 5, 147-175.
- Oino, I., & Ukaegbu, B. (2015). The impact of profitability on capital structure and speed of adjustment: An empirical examination of selected firms in Nigeria Stock Exchange. Research in International Business and Finance, 35, 111-121.
- Onaolapo, A.A., & Kajola, S.O. (2010). Capital Structure and Firm Performance: Evidence from Nigeria. European Journal of Economics, Finance and Administrative Sciences, 25, 70-82.
- Rajan, R.G., & Zingales, L. (1995). What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data. The Journal of Finance, 50(5) 1421-1460.
- Safieddine, A., & Titman, S. (1999). Leverage and corporate performance: Evidence from unsuccessful takeovers. The Journal of Finance, 54(2), 547-580.
- Salim, M., & Yadav, R. (2012). Capital Structure and Firm Performance: Evidence from Malaysian listed companies. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 65, 156-166.
- San, O.T., & Heng, T.B. (2011). Capital Structure and Corporate Performance of Malaysian construction sector. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 1(2), 28-36.
- Schargrodsky, E. (2002). The Effect of Product Market Competition on Capital Structure: Empirical Evidence from the Newspaper Industry. Universidad Torcuato Di Tella, www.utdt.edu/escharge/RevisionDeptFebruary22_2002.PDF, 1-32.
- Sheikh, N., & Wang, Z. (2011). Determinants of Capital Structure: An Empirical Study of Firms in Manufacturing Industry of Pakistan. Managerial Finance, 37(2), 117-133.
- Stultz, R. (1990). Managerial Discretion and Optimal Financing Policies. Journal of Financial Economics, 26(1), 3-27.
- Tomak, S. (2013). The Impact of Overconfidence on capital structure in Turkey. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 3(2), 512-518.
- Wahab, S.N.A., & Ramli, N.A. (2014). The Determinants of Capital Structure: An Empirical Investigation of Malaysian Listed Government Linked Companies. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 4(4), 930-945.
- Wiwattanakantang, Y. (1999). An empirical study on the determinants of the capital structure of Thai firms. Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, 7(3), 371-403.
- Yeh, T.L. (2011). Capital structure and cost efficiency in the Taiwanese banking industry. The Service Industries Journal, 31(2), 237-249.
- Yinusa O.G., Ismail A., Yulia R., & Olawale, L.S. (2019). Capital Structure and Firm Performance in Nigeria. African Journal of Economics Review, 7(1), 31-56.
- Zabri, S.M. (2012). The determinants of capital structure among SMEs in Malaysia. Being a paper delivered at International Conference of Technology Management, Business and Entrepreneurship.
- Zeitun, R., & Tian, G.G. (2007). Capital structure and corporate: Evidence from Jordan. The Australasian Accounting Business & Finance Journal, 1(4), 40-61.