Tendency to Use the Virtual Fitting Room in Generation Y - Results of Qualitative Study
E-commerce is growing rapidly on a global scale. Among many products purchased via the Internet, clothing is the first in terms of purchase frequency. However, there are growth barriers for this product category, which include, first of all, the client's fear of matching clothing to their own figure or complexion. This results in a high percentage of returns reaching up to 60% of transactions, which is more than that in other e-commerce sectors. One of the possible solutions to the abovementioned problem is the use of a virtual fitting room (VFR), which allows you to try on clothes in terms of size, fit, style, or color on a computer or smartphone screen. The main purpose of the article is to determine the propensity to use a VFR in the age group of generation Y. The second goal is to compare the propensity to use by type of VFR: 2D vs. 3D. The methodology is based on the qualitative exploratory approach. To conduct research, content analysis and sentiment analysis were used. The results of the study indicate that the participants of the research have an ambivalent attitude towards VFR - on the one hand, they perceive VFRs as an interesting solution for Internet users (not only generation Y). On the other hand, however, they themselves show a distance to use the VFR. The analysis also showed that a two-dimensional type of VFR based on augmented reality technology has greater market opportunities. (original abstract)
- Anagaha, R., Brinda, D., Ankit, R.K., Vaishnavi, S., 2018. 3D Virtual Trial Room. In: NCESC - 2018 Conference Proceedings. [online] Available at: https://www.ijert.org/research/3d-virtualtrial-room-IJERTCONV6IS13159.pdf [Accessed 15 August 2019].
- Bakopoulos, K., 2019. e-Commerce Share of Total Global Retail Sales from 2015 to 2021. [online] Available at: https://www.protocol. gr/2019/05/19/e-commerce-share-of-total-global -retail-sales-from-2015-to-2021/ [Accessed 15 August 2019].
- Barclaycard, 2016. Emergence of 'serial returners' - online shoppers who habitually over order and take advantage of free returns - hinders growth of UK businesses [online] Available at: https://www.home.barclaycard/media-centre/pre ss-releases/emergence-of-serial-returners-hinder s-growth-of-UK-businesses.html [Accessed 15 August 2019].
- Barclaycard, 2019. The age of the 'serial returner'. [online] Available at: https://www.home. barclaycard/insights/payments/The-age-of-theserial-returner.html [Accessed 15 August 2019].
- Bazaki, E. Wanick, V., 2019. Unlocking the Potential of the Salesperson in the Virtual Fitting Room: Enhancing the Online Retail Experience for Fashion Brands. [online] Available at: https://eprints.soton.ac.uk/432242/1/3d_virtual_r oom_services_final_camera_ready_EB.pdf [Accessed 15 August 2019].
- Bolton, R.N., Parasuraman, A., Hoefnagels, A., Migchels, N., Kabadayi, S., Gruber, T., Komarova Loureiro, Y. and Solnet, D., 2013. Understanding Generation Y and their use of social media: a review and research agenda. Journal of Service Management, 24(3), pp.245-267.
- Bonetti, F., Warnaby, G. and Quinn, L., 2018. Augmented reality and virtual reality in physical and online retailing: A review, synthesis and research agenda. In: Augmented reality and virtual reality. Cham: Springer, pp.119-132.
- Boonbrahm, P., Kaewrat, C. and Boonbrahm, S., 2015. Realistic simulation in virtual fitting room using physical properties of fabrics. Procedia Computer Science, 75, pp.12-16.
- Clancy, O., 2016. Most online clothes shoppers send something back. BBC. [online] Available at: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-363957 19 [Accessed 15 August 2019].
- Cullinane, S., Browne, M., Karlsson, E. and Wang, Y., 2019. Retail Clothing Returns: A Review of Key Issues. In: Contemporary Operations and Logistics. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan, pp.301-322.
- Daaboul, J., Le Duigou, J., Penciuc, D. and Eynard, B., 2014. Reverse logistics network design: a holistic life cycle approach. Journal of Remanufacturing, 4(1), pp.1-15.
- de Leeuw, S., Minguela-Rata, B., Sabet, E., Boter, J. and Sigurðardóttir, R., 2016. Trade-offs in managing commercial consumer returns for online apparel retail. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 36(6), pp.710-731.
- DPD, 2018. E-shopper barometer report 2018 [online] Available at: https://www.dpd.com/gro up/wp-content/uploads/sites/77/2019/03/201903 27_e-shopper_barometer_2018.pdf [Accessed 15 August 2019].
- Dunn, Ch. 2015. How Sizing Technology Can Bring Online Apparel Returns Down to Zero. [online] Available at: https://www.mytotalretail. com/article/sizing-technology-can-bring-onlineapparel-returns-zero/all/ [Accessed 15 August 2019].
- Duszczyk, M., 2019. Wirtualna przymierzalnia nadzieją e-sklepów (A virtual fitting room is the hope of e-shops). [online] Available at: https://cyfrowa.rp.pl/biznes/33935-wirtualna-prz ymierzalnia-nadzieja-e-sklepow [Accessed 15 August 2019].
- Duriau, V.J., Reger, R.K. and Pfarrer, M.D., 2007. A content analysis of the content analysis literature in organization studies: Research themes, data sources, and methodological refinements. Organizational research methods, 10(1), pp.5-34.
- Ecommercenews, 2019. The ecommerce market in Europe. [online] Available at: https://ecom mercenews.eu/ecommerce-in-europe/ [Accessed 15 August 2019].
- Eisenhardt, K.M. (1989), Building theories from case study research, Academic Management Review, 14 (4), pp.532 - 550.
- Erra, U., Scanniello, G. and Colonnese, V., 2018. Exploring the effectiveness of an augmented reality dressing room. Multimedia Tools and Applications, 77(19), pp.25077-25107.
- Eurostat, 2018. E-commerce statistics for individuals. [online] Available at: https://ec.europa. eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/pdfscache/46776. pdf [Accessed 15 August 2019].
- Flick U., 2018. Designing Qualitative Research. The Sage Qualitative Research Kit, 2nd edition. London: Sage.
- Franco, C.E. and Regi, B.S., 2016. Advantages and challenges of e-commerce customers and businesses: in Indian perspective. International Journal of Research - Granthaalayah, 4(7), pp.7-13.
- Gao, Y., Brooks, E.P. and Brooks, A.L., 2014. The performance of self in the context of shopping in a virtual dressing room system. In: International Conference on HCI in Business. Cham: Springer, pp.307-315.
- Gemius, 2019. E-commerce w Polsce. Gemius dla e-Commerce Polska (E-commerce In Poland. Gemius for e-Commerce Poland). Warsaw. [online] Available at: https://www.gemius. pl/ecommerce2019/cac74bec2fac091ac0370e91 8bdf5e3e [Accessed 15 August 2019].
- Glamstorm, 2019. Fitting Room. [online] Available at: hhttp://glamstorm.com/en/fittingroom/ clothes/c/skirts