Performance Evaluation Frameworks in the Context of Indian Microfinance Institutions
The paper conducts a detailed examination of the existing evaluative frameworks for micro-finance institutions to gauge the differences and similarities. Efficiency evaluates how MFIs are meet-ing the performance standards considering time and budget constraints. Outreach evaluates the effectiveness of MFIs in reaching the beneficiaries. Relative efficiency scores were calculated using data envelopment analysis and outreach was measured in five different dimensions (pentagon model). Further, cluster analysis assisted in categorizing the MFIs into five value clusters. The study compares both outreach performance and relative efficiency scores employing ANOVA and correlation analysis. The study was conducted among the Indian context when the sector was hit by crisis during 2010. Pa-per brought out important insights about the sample. Indian MFIs were found to be more socially effi-cient, since the social dimension taken into consideration was number of female clients and majority of Indian MFIs has exclusive female focus. The correlation tests found that relative efficiency scores are positively related to depth (poor focus) and length (sustainability) outreach. The results showed that cluster analysis model basing outreach scores was more comprehensive and captured more information compared to the data envelopment model relative efficiency scores. The study is original in its ap-proach in using cluster analysis for outreach performance and in the objective of comparing the two different models. (original abstract)
- Arun, T., Imai, K. and Sinha, F., 2006. Does the Microfinance Reduce Poverty in India? Propensity Score Matching based on a National-Level Household Data. Economics Discussion Paper, The University of Manchester, September.
- Athanassopoulos, A.D., 1995. Performance Improvement Decision Aid Systems (PIDAS) in Retailing Organizations Using Data Envelopment analysis. Journal of Productivity Analysis, 6(2), pp.153-170.
- Athanassopoulos, A.D., 1997. Service Quality and Operating Efficiency Synergies for Management Control in the Provision of Financial Services: Evidence from Greek Bank Branches. European Journal of Operational Research, 98(2), pp.300-313.
- Athanassopoulos, A.D., 1998. Nonparametric Frontier Models for Assessing the Market and Cost Efficiency of Large-Scale Bank Branch Networks. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, pp.172-192.
- Athanassopoulos, A.D. and Thanassoulis, E., 1995. Separating Market Efficiency from Profitability and its Implications for Planning. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 46(1), pp.20-34.
- Balammal, A., Madhumathi, R and Ganesh, MP, 2016. Pentagon Performance Model of Indian MFIs: A study of Institutional Enablers. Paradigm, 20(1), pp.1-13.
- Bassem, B.S., 2008. Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions in the Mediterranean: an Application of DEA. Transition Studies Review, 15(2), pp.343-354.
- Berg, G., 2010. Evaluating the Impacts of Microsaving: The Case of Sewa Bank in India. Journal of Economic Development, 35.
- Berger, A.N. and Humphrey, D.B., 1997. Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research. European Journal of Operational Research, 98(2), pp.175-212.
- Bhaskar, T. and Subramanian, G., 2011. Loan Recommender System for Microfinance Loans: Increasing Efficiency to Assist Growth. Journal of Financial Services Marketing, 15(4), pp.334345.
- Bhatt, N. and Tang, S.Y., 1998. The Problem of Transaction Costs in Group-Based Microlending: an Institutional Perspective. World Development, 26(4), pp.623-637.
- Caudill, S.B., Gropper, D.M. and Hartarska, V., 2009. Which Microfinance Institutions are Becoming More Cost Effective with Time? Evidence from a Mixture Model. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 41(4), pp.651-672.
- Christen, R.P., Rhyne, E., Vogel, R.C. and McKean, C., 1995. Maximizing the Outreach of Microenterprise Finance. USAID Program and Operations Assessment Report, 10.
- Cull, R., Demirgüç-Kunt, A. and Morduch, J., 2011. Does Regulatory Supervision Curtail Microfinance Profitability and Outreach? World Development, 39(6), pp.949-965.
- De Koster, M.B. M., Balk, B.M. and Van Nus, W.T.I., 2009. On Using DEA for Benchmarking Container Terminals. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 29(11), pp.1140-1155.
- De, R. and Ratan, A.L., 2009. Whose Gain is it Anyway? Structurational Perspectives on Deploying ICTs for Development in India's Microfinance Sector. Information Technology for Development, 15(4), pp.259-282.
- Drake, L. and Simper, R., 2003. The Measurement of English and Welsh Police Force Efficiency: A Comparison of Distance Function Models. European Journal of Operational Research, 147(1), pp.165-186.
- Ejigu, L., 2009. Performance Analysis of a Sample Microfinance Institutions of Ethiopia. International NGO Journal, 4(5), pp.87-298.
- Feigenberg, B., Field, E. and Pande, R., 2013. The Economic Returns to Social Interaction: Experimental Evidence from Microfinance. The Review of Economic Studies, Vol. 80, No. 4(285), pp.1459-1483, DOI: https://doi.org/ 10.1093/restud/rdt016.
- Field, E. and Pande, R., 2008. Repayment Frequency and Default in Microfinance: Evidence from India. Journal of the European Economic Association, 6(2-3), pp.501-509.
- Galema, R. and Lensink, R., 2009. Microfinance Commercialization: Financially and Socially Optimal Investments. Working Paper, University of Groningen.
- Gaski, J.F., 1986. The Concept of Consumer Market Efficiency: Toward Evaluating the Social Efficiency of Consumer Marketing. NAAdvances in Consumer Research Volume 13.
- Gonzalez, A., 2007. Efficiency Drivers of Microfinance Institutions (MFIs): The Case of Operating Costs. Microbanking Bulletin, (15).
- Gonzalez-Vega, C., 2003. Deepening Rural Financial Markets: Macroeconomic, Policy and Political Dimensions. In: Paving the Way Forward for Rural Finance: An International Conference on Best Practices, Washington, DC (pp.2-4).
- Gutierrez-Nieto, B., Serrano-Cinca, C. and Molinero, C. M., 2007. Microfinance Institutions and Efficiency. Omega, 35(2), pp.131-142.
- Gutiérrez-Nieto, B., Serrano-Cinca, C. and Molinero, C. M., 2009. Social Efficiency in Microfinance Institutions. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 60(1), pp.104-119.
- Hair, J.F., Black, W.C., Babin, B.J., Anderson, R.E. and Tatham, R.L., 2006. Multivariate Data Analysis (Vol. 6).
- Haq, M., Skully, M. and Pathan, S., 2010. Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions: A Data Envelopment Analysis. Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, 17(1), pp.63-97.
- Hartarska, V., 2005. Governance and Performance of Microfinance Institutions in Central and Eastern Europe and the Newly Independent States. World Development, 33(10), pp.16271643.
- Hartarska, V. and Nadolnyak, D., 2007. Do Regulated Microfinance Institutions Achieve Better Sustainability and Outreach? Crosscountry Evidence. Applied economics, 39(10), pp.1207-1222.
- Hermes, N., Lensink, R. and Meesters, A., 2009. Financial Development and the Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions. Available at SSRN 1396202.
- Islam, M.T., Takanashi, C. and Natori, T., 2013. Big Challenges by a Small Microfinance Institution-A Case Study of SafeSave Bangladesh from the Customer Satisfaction and ICT Introduction Perspective. International Journal of Business and Management, 8(14), p.23.
- Jones, L., Snelgrove, A. and Muckosy, P., 2006. The Double-X Factor: Harnessing Female Human Capital for Economic Growth. International Journal of Emerging Markets, 1(4), pp.291-304.
- Kamakura, W.A., Ratchford, B.T. and Agrawal, J., 1988. Measuring Market Efficiency and Welfare Loss. Journal of Consumer Research, 15(3), pp.289-302.
- Karim, N., Tarazi, M. and Reille, X., 2008. Islam Micro Finance: an Emerging Market Niche. FOCUS NOTE 49. CGPA. Washington.
- Khachatryan, K., Avetisyan, E. and Teulon, F., 2014. Microfinance in Armenia: Sector Characteristics and Adaptation Strategies (2014-406). Paris: IPAG Business School.
- Kwon, W.J., 2010. An analysis of Organisational, Market and Socio-cultural Factors Affecting the Supply of Insurance and other Financial Services by Microfinance Institutions in Developing Economies. The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance Issues and Practice, 35(1), pp.130-160.
- Kyereboah-Coleman, A., 2007. The Impact of Capital Structure on the Performance of Microfinance Institutions. The Journal of Risk Finance, 8(1), pp.56-71.
- Louis, P., Seret, A. and Baesens, B., 2013. Financial Efficiency and Social Impact of Microfinance Institutions Using Self-Organizing Maps. World Development, 46, pp.197-210.
- Mader, P., 2013. Rise and Fall of Microfinance in India: The Andhra Pradesh Crisis in Perspective. Strategic Change, 22(1-2), pp.47-66.
- Mersland, R. and Strøm, R.Ø., 2008. Performance and Trade-offs in Microfinance Organisations Does Ownership Matter? Journal of International Development, 20(5), pp.598-612.
- Mersland, R. and Strøm, R.Ø., 2009. Performance and Governance in Microfinance Institutions. Journal of Banking & Finance, 33(4), pp.662-669.
- Mersland, R. and Strøm, R.Ø., 2010. Microfinance Mission Drift? World Development, 38(1), pp.28-36.
- Nair, T. and Tankha, A., 2013. Microfinance India: State of the Sector Report 2013. SAGE Publications India.
- Nghiem, H., Coelli, T. and Rao, D.S.P., 2006. The Efficiency of Microfinance in Vietnam: Evidence from NGO Schemes in the North and the Central Regions. International Journal of Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability, 2(5), pp.71-78.
- PRISMS, 2005. Governance Issues in Microfinance. A paper presented at the International Year of Micro Credit (IYMC) Workshop. Washington, DC: USAID.
- Qayyum, A. and Ahmad, M., 2006. Efficiency and Sustainability of Micro Finance. University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ratan, A.L., Toyama, K., Chakraborty, S., Ooi, K.S., Koenig, M., Chitnis, P.V. and Phiong, M., 2010. Managing Microfinance with Paper, Pen and Digital Slate. In: Proceedings of the 4th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies and Development ACM. December 2010, p. 37.
- Ross, A. and Savanti, P., 2005. Empirical Analysis of the Mechanisms of Group Lending. IFMR, Center for Microfinance Research Working Paper Series.
- Schreiner, M., 2002. Aspects of Outreach: A Framework for Discussion of the Social Benefits of Microfinance. Journal of International Development, 14(5), pp. 591-603.
- Sedzro, K. and Keita, M., 2009. Assessing the Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions using Data Envelopment Analysis. Journal of International Finance and Economics, 9(2), pp. 54-67.
- Sherman, H.D. and Gold, F., 1985. Bank Branch Operating Efficiency: Evaluation with Data Envelopment Analysis. Journal of Banking & Finance, 9(2), pp.297-315.
- Sriram, M.S., 2012. The AP Microfinance Crisis: Discipline or Death? Case Analysis II, Vikalpa, 37(4).
- Sufian, F., 2006. The Efficiency of Non-bank Financial Institutions: Empirical Evidence from Malaysia. International Journal of Finance and Economics, 6.
- Tavanti, M., 2013. Before Microfinance: The Social Value of Microsavings in Vincentian Poverty Reduction. Journal of Business Ethics, 112(4), pp.697-706.
- Werner, W.J., 2009. Micro-insurance in Bangladesh: Risk Protection for the Poor? Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, pp.563-573.
- Woller, G., 2005. Building Successful Microfinance Institutions by Assessing Clients' Needs. Small Enterprise Education and Promotion Network.
- Woller, G., 2006. Evaluating MFIs' social Performance: A Measurement Tool. Micro Report, (35).