Market Orientation and Survival of Small and Medium Enterprises in Nigeria
The adoption of a market orientation (MO) model for effective management of small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Nigeria and beyond has drawn diverse views. Extant studies conducted in Nigeria in the past decades have leveraged on the existing entrepreneurial marketing model that has not significantly contributed to the survival of SMEs in Nigeria. The objective of this quantitative study is to investigate the effects of MO on the survival of manufacturing SMEs in Nigeria. The study adopted a positivistic ontology and descriptive survey design. The study randomly selected 387 owner-managers of manufacturing SMEs in Nigeria. The results show that MO significantly contributed to the survival of SMEs in Nigeria. Based on the results, the study recommends that integrative Entrepreneurial Marketing (EM) should be adopted by both the owners and managers of SMEs as this would help reduce the rate of business failure in Nigeria. (original abstract)
- Arifin, D.N., 2016. Understanding Market Orientation in Victorian Schools. Thesis submitted as fulfillment of the requirements of the degree of Doctor of Philosophy. The University of Melbourne: Melbourne Graduate School of Education.
- Aminu, S.A., Olayinka, K.A., Akinkunmi, M., Salau, J.T. and Odesanya, E.O., 2015. Entrepreneurial Marketing: Understanding the Interface Between Entrepreneurship and Marketing in Nigeria. International Journal of Management Sciences and Humanities, 3(1), pp.46-67.
- Aminu, S.A., 2016. Market Orientation and Small and medium enterprises Performance in Nigeria: A review. Ilorin Journal of Marketing, 3(1), pp.122-132.
- Anderson, J.C. and Narus, J.A., 1998. Business Marketing: Understand what Customers Value. Harvard Business Review, 76(6), pp.53-65.
- Asikhia, O.U., 2010. SMEs and Poverty Alleviation in Nigeria: Marketing Resources and Capabilities Implications. New England Journal of Entrepreneurship, 13(2), pp.1-14.
- Avlonitis, G.J. and Gounaris, S.P., 1997. Marketing Orientation and Company Performance Industrial vs. Consumer Goods Companies. Industrial Marketing Management, 26, pp.385-402.
- Bagozzi, R.P. and Yi, Y., 2012. Specification, Evaluation, and Interpretation of Structural Equation Models. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. 40(1), pp.8-34.
- Bamfo, B.A. and Kraa, J.J., 2019. Market Orientation and Performance of Small and Medium Enterprises in Ghana: The Mediating Role of Innovation. Cogent Business and Management, 6, pp.1-16. https://doi.org/10.1080/23311975.2019. 1605703.
- Baumgartner, H. and Hombur, C., 1996. Applications of Structural Equation Modeling in Mar-keting and Consumer research: A Review. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 13, pp.139-161.
- Boachie-Mensah, F. and Issau, K., 2015. Market Orientation and the Performance of Small and Medium-Sized Manufacturing Enterprises in the Accra Metropolis. International Journal of Marketing Studies, 7(3), pp.39-52
- Bollen, K.A., 1989). A New Incremental Fit Index for General Structural Equation Models. Sociological Methods & Research, 17(3), pp.303-316.
- Bueno, G., John, E., Lyra, F.R. and Lenzi, F.C., 2016. Knowledge Management, Market Orientation and Innovation: A Study at a Technology Park of Santa Catarina. Brazilian Business Review (English Edition), 13(3), pp.70-89.
- Chen, H. L., and Hsu, C. H., 2013. Entrepreneurial Orientation and Firm Performance in Non-Profit Service Organizations: Contingent Effect of Market Orientation. Service Industries Journal, 33(5), pp.445-466.
- Dadfar, H., Brege, S. and Semnani, S.S.E., 2013. Customer Involvement in Service Production, Delivery and Quality: The Challenges and Opportunities. International Journal of Quality and Service Sciences, 5(1), pp.46-65. DOI: 10.1108/17566691311316248.
- Deshpande, R., Farley, J.U. and Webster, F.E.Jr., 1993. Corporate Culture, Customer Orientation and innovativeness. Journal of Marketing, 57(1), pp.23-37.
- Ekaterina, P. and Utz, D., 2014. The impact of market orientation on Business Performance: The Case of Tatarstan Knowledge-Intensive Companies, Russia. Problems and Perspectives in Management, 12, pp.225-231.
- Felgueira, T., and Ricardo, G.R., 2012. Entrepreneurial Orientation, Market Orientation and Performance of Teachers and Researchers in Public Higher Education Institutions. Public Policy and Administration, 11(4), pp.703-718.
- Fiore, A.M., Niehm, L.S, Son, J. and Sadachar, A., 2013. Entrepreneurial Marketing: Scale Validation with Small, Independently-Owned Businesses. Journal of Marketing Development and Competitiveness, 7(4), pp.63-86.
- Ghorbani, H., Dalvi, M.R. and Hirmanpour, I., 2014. Studying the Effect of Market Orientation on Marketing Effectiveness Case Study: Hotels in Isfahan Province. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 4(1), pp.570-579.
- Grainer, B. and Padanyi, P., 2005. The Relationship between Market-Oriented Activities and Market-Oriented Culture: Implications for the Development of Market Orientation in Nonprofit Service Organizations. Journal of Business Research, 2005, 58, pp.854-862.
- Grinstein, A., 2008. The Relationships Between Market Orientation and Alternative Strategic Orientations: a Meta-Analysis. European Journal of Marketing, 42(1/2), pp.115-134.
- Gwadabe, U.M. and Amirah, N.A., 2017. Entrepreneurial Competencies: SMES Performance Factor in the Challenging Nigerian Economy. Academic Journal of Economic Studies, 3(4), pp.55-61.
- Hooper, D., Coughlan, J., and Mullen, M.R., 2008. Structural Equation Modelling: Guidelines for Determining Model Fit. Electronic Journal of Business Research Methods, 6(1).
- Hu, L.T., and Bentler, P.M., 1999. Cutoff Criteria for Fit Indexes in Covariance Structure Analysis: Conventional Criteria Versus New Alternatives. Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 6(1), pp.1-55.
- Hussain, J., Ismail, K., Akhtar, C.S., 2015. Market Orientation and Organizational Performance: Case of Pakistani SMEs. Arabian Journal of Business Management Review, 5(5), pp.1-6.
- Jangl, P., 2015. Relationship between Market Orientation and Business Performance in Czech and German High-Tech Firms. Tržište/Market, 27(2), pp.154-170.
- Jawad, H., Fayaz, A.S. and Shoaib, Ch.A., 2016. Market Orientation and Organizational Performance in Small and Medium Sized Enterprises: A Conceptual Approach. City University Research Journal, 6, pp.166-180.
- Jaworski, B.J., and Kohli, A.K., 2017. Conducting Field-Based, Discovery-Oriented Research: Lessons from our Market Orientation Research Experience. Academy of Marketing Science Review, 7(4), pp.1-9, DOI: 10.1007/s13162-017-0088-5.
- Katou, A.A., and Budhwar, P.S., 2010. Causal Relationship Between Human Resource Management Policies and Organisational Performance: Evidence from the Greek Manufacturing Sector. European Management Journal, 28, pp.25-39.
- Kanagasabai, K., 2008. Market Orientation and Company Performance: A Study of Selected Japanese and Sri Lankan Companies. The Journal of Faculty of Economics, Gakshuin University, 44(4), pp.291-308.
- Keskin, H., 2006. Market Orientation, Learning Orientation, and Innovation Capabilities in SMEs: An Extended Model. European Journal of Innovation Management, 9(4), pp.396-417. DOI: 10.1108/14601060610707849.
- Kohli, A.K. and Jaworski, B.J., 1990. Market Orientation: The Construct, Research Proposi-tions, and Managerial Implications. Journal of Marketing, 54, pp.1-18, https://doi.org/10.2307 /1251866.
- Kotler, P., and Armstrong, G., 2018. Principles of Marketing, 17thed. Pearson Europe, Middle East & Africa.
- Kotler, P., and Keller, K.L., 2016. Marketing Management, 14thed. Boston: Prentice Hall, Pearson.
- Korkman, O., 2006. Customer Value formation in Practice: a Practice-Theoretical Approach (Doctoral Dissertation), Swedish School of Economics and Business Administration.
- Kumar, V., Jones, E., Venkatesan, R., and Leone, R.P., 2011. Is Market Orientation a Source of Sustainable Competitive Advantage or Simply the Cost of Competing? Journal of Marketing, 75(1), pp.16-30.
- Kwak, H., Jaju, A., Puzakova, M. and Rocereto, J.F., 2013. The Connubial Relationship between Market Orientation and Entrepreneurial Orientation. The Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 21(2), pp.141-162.
- Ladipo, P.K.A., Rahim, A.G., Oguntoyibo, C.A. and Okikiola, I.O., 2016. Market Orientation and Business Performance: A Study of Interrelationships and Effects in a Small Sized Hotel within Lagos State Metropolis.
- Laukkanen, T., Tuominen, S., Reijonen, H. and Hirvonen, S., 2016. Does Market Orientation Pay off Without Brand Orientation? A Study of Small Business Entrepreneurs. Journal of Marketing Management, 32(7-8), pp.673-694.
- Lin, M.-J., Liu, Y.-C., Chuang, M.-Y. and Chang, J.-J., 2015. The Effects of External Inter-Organizational Integration on Proactive Market Orientation, Responsive Market Orientation, and new Product Development Performance. Commerce & Management Quarterly, 16(1), pp.19-45.
- Lindic, J. and Silva, C.M.D., 2011. Value Proposition as a Catalyst for a Customer Focused Innovation. Management Decision, 49(10), pp.1694-1708.
- Lindgreen, A., Hingley, M.K., Grant, D.B. and Morgan, R.E., 2012. Value in Business and Industrial Marketing: Past, Present, and Future. Industrial Marketing Management, 41, pp.207-214.
- Maurya U.K., Mishra P., Anand S., and Kumar N., 2016. Understanding Corporate Identity of SMES: Conceptualization and Preliminary Construction of Scale. In: Campbell C., Ma J., eds. Looking Forward, Looking Back: Drawing on the Past to Shape the Future of Marketing. Proceedings of the Academy of Marketing Science: Springer, Cham, pp.103-107.
- Maydeu-Olivares, A. and Lado, N., 2003. Market Orientation and Business Economic Performance: A Mediated Model. International Journal of Service Industry Management, 14(3), pp.284-309.
- Mencarelli, R. and Riviere, A., 2015. Perceived Value in B2B and B2C: A Comparative Approach and Crossfertilization. Marketing Theory, SAGE Publications, 15(2), pp.201-220.
- Moghaddam, A.G., Imani, Y.A., Erteza, N. and Setayeshi, L., 2013. Mediating Role of Innovation and Market-orientation in the Relationship Between Knowledge Management and Financial Performance: a Case Study of Small and Entrepreneur Business. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 5(3), pp.688-697.
- Murray, J.Y., Gao, G.Y. and Kotabe, M., 2011. Market Orientation and Performance of Export Ventures: The Process through Marketing Capabilities and Competitive Advantages. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 39, pp.252-269, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-010-0195-4.
- Mutlu, H.M., and Surer, A., 2015. Effects of Market, e-Marketing, and Technology Orientations on Innovativeness and Performance in Turkish Health Organizations. Health Marketing Quarterly, 32(4), pp.313-329.
- Na, Y.K., Kang, S. and Jeong, H.Y., 2019. The Effect of Market Orientation on Performance of Sharing Economy Business: Focusing on Marketing Innovation and Sustainable Competitive Advantage. Sustainability, MDPI, 11(3), pp.1-19.
- Narver, J.C. and Slater, S.F., 1990. The effect of market orientation on business profitability. Journal of Marketing, 54(4), pp.20-35.
- Nwaizugbo, I.C and Anukam, A.I, 2014. Assessment of Entrepreneurial Marketing Practices Among Small and Medium Scale Enterprise in Imo State Nigeria: Prospects and Challenges. Review of Contemporary Business Research, 3(1), pp.77-98.
- Nwankwo, C.A. and Kanyangale, M.I., 2019. Deconstructing Entrepreneurial Marketing Dimensions in small and Medium-Sized Enterprises in Nigeria: a Literature Analysis. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Venturing (in press).
- Octavia, A. and Ali, H., 2017. The Model of Market Orientation, Entrepreneurial Orientation and Business Performance of Small and Medium Enterprises. International Review of Management and Marketing, 7(3), pp.331-337.
- Oluwatoyin, A.M., Olufunke, A.P. and Salome, I.O., 2018. The Impact of Market Orientation on Performance of Selected Hotels in Ondo State, Nigeria. Open Journal of Business and Management, 6, pp.616-631. https://doi.org/10.4236/ojbm.2018.63047.
- Özdemir, Ö.G., 2013. Entrepreneurial Marketing and Social Value Creation in Turkish Art Industry: an Ambidextrous Perspective. Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, 15(1), pp.39- 60.
- Payne, A.F., Storbacka, K. and Frow, P., 2008. Managing the Co-Creation of Value. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 36, pp.83-96, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11747-007-0070-0.
- Rezvani, M. and Khazaei, M., 2014. Evaluation of Entrepreneurial Marketing Dimensions According to Characteristics of Institutions: Institutions Age and Size. International Journal of Basic Sciences & Applied Research, 3(4), pp.207-213.
- Shah, D., Rust, R.T., Parasuraman, A., Staelin, R., and Day, G.S., 2006. The Path to Customer Centricity. Journal of Service Research, 9(2), pp.113-124.
- Shehu, A.M. and Mahmood, R., 2014. Influence of Entrepreneurial Orientation and Business Environment on Small and Medium Firm Performance: A PLS Approach. Advances in Management & Applied Economics, 4(4), pp.101-114.
- Sombultawee, K. and Boon-itt, B., 2018. Marketing-Operations Alignment: A Review of the Literature and Theoretical Background. Operations Research Perspectives, 5, pp.1-12
- Sousa-e-silva, C.M., Moriguchi, S.A. and Lopes, J.E.F., 2015. Proposing a Model for Measuring the Perceived Value of B2B Logistics Environment. International Association for Management of Technology Conference Proceedings, pp.2040-2057.
- Spence, M. and Essoussi, L.H., 2010. SME Brand Building and Management: an Exploratory Study. European Journal of Marketing, 44(7/8), pp.1037-1054.
- Terblanche, N.S. and Taljaard, A., 2018. The Perceived Value and Perceived Benefits Experienced by Customers Using Travel Agents, South African Journal of Business Management, 49(1), a7, https://doi.org/10.4102/sajbm.v49i1.7.
- Theodosiou, M., Kehagias, J. and Katsikea, E., 2012. Strategic Orientations, Marketing Capabilities and Firm Performance: An Empirical Investigation in the Context of Frontline Managers in Service Organizations. Industrial Marketing Management, 41(7), pp.1058-1070.
- Trinh, T.H., Liem, N.T. and Kachitvichyanukul, V., 2014. A Game Theory Approach for Value Co-Creation Systems. Production & Manufacturing Research, 2(1), pp.253-265.
- Tucker, L.R., and Lewis, C., 1973. A Reliability Coefficient for Maximum Likelihood Factor Analysis. Psychometrika, 38(1), pp.1-10.
- Varadarajan, R., 2017. Innovating for Sustainability: A Framework for Sustainable Innovations and a Model of Sustainable Innovations Orienta-tion. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 45(1), pp.14-36.
- Xie, Y. and Xiang Z., 2015. Income Inequality in Today's China. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 111(19), pp.6928-2933.