The Effect of Financial Leverage on Real and Accrual-Based Earnings Management in Vietnamese Firms
Our research examines the effect of leverage on the form and extent of earnings management in Vietnamese listed firms. We use panel data of 241 companies on Vietnam stock markets in the period from 2010 to 2016 (1687 firm-years) and conduct GMM regression. Four models are employed to estimate the level of discretional accruals and real earnings management. Our research finds a positive relationship between leverage and earnings management, which is consistent to "debt hypothesis". Furthermore, a preference for real earnings management over accrual-based earnings management is observed among highly leverage firms. The findings notice the substitution between these two forms of earnings management and reinforce full attention to both accrual-based earnings management and real activities manipulations rather than to separated earnings management strategy. (original abstract)
- Ahn, S., & Choi, W. (2009). The role of bank monitoring in corporate governance: Evidence from borrowers' earnings management behavior. Journal of Banking & Finance, 33(2), 425-434.
- Al-dhamari, R., & Ku Ismail, K. N. I. (2015). Cash holdings, political connections, and earnings quality: some evidence from Malaysia. International Journal of Managerial Finance, 11(2), 215-231.
- AlNajjar, F., & Riahi-Belkaoui, A. (2001). Growth opportunities and earnings management. Managerial Finance, 27(12), 72-81.
- Alsharairi, M. a. S. (2012). Does High Leverage Impact Earnings Management? Evidence from Non-cash Mergers and Acquisitions. Journal of Financial and Economic Practice, Volume 12 (1)(pp.17-33).
- Alzoubi, E. S. S. (2017). Audit quality, debt financing, and earnings management: Evidence from Jordan. Journal of International Accounting, Auditing and Taxation.
- Anagnostopoulou, S. C., & Tsekrekos, A. E. (2016). The effect of financial leverage on real and accrual-based earnings management. Accounting and Business Research, 47(2), 191-236. doi:10.1080/00014788.2016.1204217
- Arellano, M., & Bond, S. (1991). Some tests of specification for panel data: Monte Carlo evidence and an application to employment equations. The review of economic studies, 58(2), 277-297.
- Baatour, K., Ben Othman, H., & Hussainey, K. J. A. R. J. (2017). The effect of multiple directorships on real and accrual-based earnings management: Evidence from Saudi listed firms. 30(4), 395-412.
- Barton, J., & Simko, P. J. (2002). The balance sheet as an earnings management constraint. The Accounting Review, 77(s-1), 1-27.
- Bazaz, M. S., & Mashayekhi, B. (2010). The effects of corporate governance on earnings quality: Evidence from Iran. Asian Journal of Business and Accounting, 3(2), 71-100.
- Becker, C. L., DeFond, M. L., Jiambalvo, J., & Subramanyam, K. (1998). The effect of audit quality on earnings management. Contemporary Accounting Research, 15(1), 1-24.
- Bradshaw, M. T., Richardson, S. A., & Sloan, R. G. (2006). The relation between corporate financing activities, analysts' forecasts and stock returns. Journal of accounting and economics, 42(1-2), 53-85.
- Cai, J., & Zhang, Z. (2011). Leverage change, debt overhang, and stock prices. Journal of Corporate Finance, 17(3), 391-402. doi:10.1016/j.jcorpfin.2010.12.003
- Chaney, P. K., Faccio, M., & Parsley, D. (2011). The quality of accounting information in politically connected firms. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 51(1-2), 58-76.
- Cheng, Q., & Warfield, T. D. (2005). Equity incentives and earnings management. The Accounting Review, 80(2), 441-476.
- Cohen, D. A., Dey, A., & Lys, T. Z. (2008). Real and accrual-based earnings management in the pre-and post-Sarbanes-Oxley periods. The Accounting Review, 83(3), 757-787.
- Cohen, D. A., & Lys, T. Z. (2006). Weighing the evidence on the relation between external corporate financing activities, accruals and stock returns. Journal of accounting and economics, 42(1-2), 87-105.
- Cohen, D. A., & Zarowin, P. (2010). Accrual-based and real earnings management activities around seasoned equity offerings. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 50(1), 2-19.
- DeAngelo, H., DeAngelo, L., & Skinner, D. J. (1994). Accounting choice in troubled companies. Journal of accounting and economics, 17(1-2), 113-143.
- Dechow, P. M., Sloan, R. G., & Sweeney, A. P. (1995). Detecting earnings management. Accounting review, 193-225.
- DeFond, M. L., & Jiambalvo, J. (1994). Debt covenant violation and manipulation of accruals. Journal of accounting and economics, 17(1-2), 145-176.
- El Diri, M. (2017). Introduction to Earnings Management: Springer.
- Gao, J., Gao, B., & Wang, X. (2017). Trade-off between real activities earnings management and accrual-based manipulation-evidence from China. Journal of International Accounting, Auditing Taxation, 29, 66-80.
- Graham, J. R., Harvey, C. R., & Rajgopal, S. (2005). The economic implications of corporate financial reporting. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 40(1-3), 3-73.
- Gujarati, D. N., & Porter, D. C. (2003). Basic Econometrics. 4th. In: New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Hribar, P., & Collins, D. W. J. J. o. A. r. (2002). Errors in estimating accruals: Implications for empirical research. 40(1), 105-134.
- Jelinek, K. (2007). The effect of leverage increases on earnings management. The Journal of Business Economic Studies, 13(2), 24.
- Jensen, M. C. (1986). Agency costs of free cash flow, corporate finance, and takeovers. The American economic review, 76(2), 323-329.
- Jensen, M. C., & Meckling, W. H. (1976). Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure. Journal of Financial Economics, 3(4), 305-360.
- Jha, A. (2013). Earnings management around debt-covenant violations-An empirical investigation using a large sample of quarterly data. Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance, 28(4), 369-396.
- Khanh, H. T. M., & Nguyen, V. K. (2018). Audit quality, firm characteristics and real earnings management: The case of listed vietnamese firms. International Journal of Economics Financial Issues, 8(4), 243.
- Kim, B. H., Lisic, L. L., & Pevzner, M. J. G. M. U. W. P. (2010). Debt covenant slack and real earnings management.
- Kim, Y., Liu, C., & Rhee, S. G. (2003). The effect of firm size on earnings management. Journal College of Business Administration University of Hawai, 6, 1-30.
- Kothari, S. P., Leone, A. J., & Wasley, C. (2005). Performance matched discretionary accrual measures. Journal of accounting economics, 39(1), 163-197.
- Lazzem, S., & Jilani, F. (2018). The impact of leverage on accrual-based earnings management: The case of listed French firms. Research in International Business and Finance, 44, 350-358.
- Myers, S. C. (1977). Determinants of corporate borrowing. Journal of financial economics, 5(2), 147-175.
- Nickell, S. (1981). Biases in dynamic models with fixed effects. Econometrica: Journal of the Econometric Society, 1417-1426.
- Nini, G., Smith, D. C., & Sufi, A. J. C. B. S. o. B. W. P. (2009). Creditor control rights, corporate governance, and firm value.
- Penman, S. H., Richardson, S. A., & Tuna, I. (2007). The book-to-price effect in stock returns: accounting for leverage. Journal of accounting research, 45(2), 427-467.
- Phan, Q. T. (2018). Corporate debt and investment with financial constraints: Vietnamese listed firms. Research in International Business Finance, 46, 268-280.
- Raman, K., & Shahrur, H. (2008). Relationship-specific investments and earnings management: Evidence on corporate suppliers and customers. The Accounting Review, 83(4), 1041-1081.
- Reynolds, J. K., & Francis, J. R. (2000). Does size matter? The influence of large clients on office-level auditor reporting decisions. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 30(3), 375-400.
- Roberts, M. R., & Sufi, A. J. T. J. o. F. (2009). Control rights and capital structure: An empirical investigation. 64(4), 1657-1695.
- Rodríguez-Pérez, G., & van Hemmen, S. (2010). Debt, diversification and earnings management. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 29(2), 138-159.
- Ronen, J., & Yaari, V. (2008). Earnings management (Vol. 372): Springer.
- Roychowdhury, S. (2006). Earnings management through real activities manipulation. Journal of accounting and economics, 42(3), 335-370. doi:10.1016/j.jacceco.2006.01.002
- Sweeney, A. P. (1994). Debt-covenant violations and managers' accounting responses. Journal of accounting and economics, 17(3), 281-308.
- Vo, X. V. (2017). Determinants of capital structure in emerging markets: Evidence from Vietnam. Research in International Business and Finance, 40, 105-113. doi:10.1016/j.ribaf.2016.12.001
- Vu, V. (2016). Solution to improve the quality of labor in banking sector. J J. Dev. Integr., 26(36).
- Watts, R., & Zimmerman, J. (1986). Positive theory of accounting. Englewood Cliffs, NY: Prentice-Hall.
- Zang, A. Y. (2011). Evidence on the trade-off between real activities manipulation and accrual-based earnings management. The Accounting Review, 87(2), 675-703.