Effects of the implementation of a progressive tariffs policy on water management in DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
The status of the availability of water resources in DKI (Indonesia's Special Region of) Jakarta has reached a critical phase. Determination of progressive tariffs by the DKI Jakarta Provincial Government in 2007 aimed to encourage water users to use water resources rationally and in a sustainable way. However, since the launch of the policy, there has been no evaluation to determine the effectiveness of these progressive tariffs. This research analysed empirical data to examine the effect of policy interventions on water use behaviour in DKI Jakarta. An analysis was carried out by calculating water usage before progressive tariffs were applied and comparing them to water use after the tariffs were applied. Another analysis calculated the number of customers before and after the implementation of progressive tariffs and compared the changes. The increase in water prices plotted are stated in nominal value by assuming the average level of inflation in Jakarta (especially the price of water) was nearly under 2 percent and the price of water was not controlled by the market mechanism The results of this study indicate that before progressive tariffs were applied, water consumption had declined despite an increase in the number of customers, however, water consumption increased after the implementation. This shows that progressive tariffs are effective instruments to distribute clean water access through cross-subsidies, however, it has no effect on consumption levels. (original abstract)
- Apip S.H.S., Pingping L. 2015. Overview of Jakarta Water-Related Environmental Challenges. "Water and Urban Initiative", 4: 1-5.
- Asteria D., Budidarmono, Herdiansyah H. Ni'mah N.L. 2018. Gender sensitive education in watershed management to support environmental friendly city. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 126: 012146.
- Berbeka K. 2017. Water tariffs as a determinant for water consumption - The analysis across Polish cities. "Economic and Environmental Studies", 17: 319-333.
- Brunner N., Mishra V., Sakhtivel P., Starkl M., Tschohl C. 2015. The human right to water in law and implementation. "Laws", 4: 413-471.
- Bureau of Statistic Center DKI Jakarta Province. 2007. DKI Jakarta Province in Numbers (Provinsi DKI Jakarta dalam Angka). Bureau of Statistic Center DKI Jakarta Province, Jakarta.
- Bureau of Statistic Center DKI Jakarta Province. 2011. DKI Jakarta Province in Numbers (Provinsi DKI Jakarta dalam Angka). Bureau of Statistic Center DKI Jakarta Province, Jakarta.
- Bureau of Statistic Center DKI Jakarta Province. 2016. DKI Jakarta Province in Numbers (Provinsi DKI Jakarta dalam Angka). Bureau of Statistic Center DKI Jakarta Province, Jakarta.
- Common M., Stagl S. 2005. Ecological Economics: An Introduction. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Deyà-Tortella B., Garcia C., Nilsson W., Tirado D. 2017. Analysis of Water Tariff Reform on Water Consumption in Different Housing Typologies in Calvià (Mallorca). "Water", 9: 425.
- Elnaboulsi J.C. 2008. An Incentive Water Pricing Policy for Sustainable Water Use. Environmental and Resource Economics, 42: 451-469.
- Fan L., Wang F., Liu G., Yang X., Qin W. 2014. Public Perception of Water Consumption and Its Effects on Water Conservation Behavior. "Water", 6: 1771-1784.
- Fulazzaky M.A. 2014. Challenges of Integrated Water Resources Management in Indonesia." Water", 6: 2000-2020.
- Governor Office DKI Jakarta. 2007. Jakarta Governor Regulation No 11 Year 2007 Regarding The Automatic Tariff Adjustment (PTO) of Drinking Water in First Semester of 2007. Governor Office DKI Jakarta, Jakarta.
- Governor Office DKI Jakarta. 2007. Jakarta Governor Regulation No 91 Year 2007 Regarding The Procedures for Calculation of Surface Water Prices and Value of Water Extension Settlement. Governor Office DKI Jakarta, Jakarta.
- Hek T., Ramli M., Iryanto. 2017. A review on water pricing problem for sustainable water resource. AIP Conference Proceedings, 1847: 020022.
- Indonesian Ministry of Home Affairs. 2006. The Ministry Regulation No 23 Year 2006 on Technical Guide and Procedure of Tariff in the Local Water Processing Company. Indonesian Ministry of Home Affairs, Jakarta.
- Indonesian Ministry of Home Affairs. 2016. The Ministry Regulation No 71 Year 2016 Calculation and Determination of Tap Water Tariff. Indonesian Ministry of Home Affairs, Jakarta.
- Jorgensen B., Graymore M., O'toole K. 2009. Household water use behavior: An integrated model." Journal of Environmental Management", 91, 1: 227-236.
- Montgomery M.A., Elimelech M. 2017. Water and sanitation in developing countries: Including health in the equation. "Environmental Science & Technology", 41: 17-24.
- Olivier A. 2006. Water Tariff Increase in Manaus (Brazil): An Evaluation of the Impact on Households (Document de travail DT/2006-10), DIAL, Paris.
- Rohrdrommel M. 2017. Drivers of Residential Water Demand - Analysis and Outlook of Water Utility Consumption Data. Master's Thesis, School of Enginering Aalto University, Hamburg.
- Sjödin J., Zaeske A., Joyce J. 2016. Pricing instruments for sustainable water management. Working paper Nr. 28. SIWI: 1-13.
- UNICEF. 2019. The rights to safe water and to sanitation. UNICEF.
- Zetland D., Gasson C. 2012. A global survey of urban water tariffs: are they sustainable, efficient and fair? International "Journal of Water Resources Development": 1-16.