The Evolving Concept of Health Promotion: Definitions, Outcomes and Classification of Interventions
The concept of health promotion emerged as a new approach to the challenge of health maintenance and improvement. It offered a new quality of thinking about health with strong emphasis on its positive understanding and not only on avoiding diseases. After several decades of translation of health promotion doctrine into practice, it became obvious that health promotion interventions should be seen in the context of complex interrelationships encompassing citizens, communities, health care systems and surrounding environments. This paper was prepared in the context of international project focused on evidence search for health promotion interventions addressed to elderly persons. Thus, the approaches offering systematic thinking about definitions, outcomes and interventions of health promotion are reminded. Furthermore, the concept of disesae prevention is discussed in search for differences and common elements with health promotion. Although, every model or classification is usually only some approximation of strategies applied in real life conditions, their knowledge may be helpful in assessment of available evidence in search of practical recommendations. (original abstract)
- Horizon 2020 - Work Programme 2014-2015. Health, demographic change and wellbeing. PHC 4 - 2015: Health promotion and disease prevention: improved inter-sector co-operation for environment and health based intervention, https://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/data/ref/h2020/wp/2014_2015/main/h2020-wp1415-health_en.pdf; accessed: 11.06.2015.
- Trygfonden and The Danish Cancer Society, Centre for Intervention Research in Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, http://www.interventionsforskning.dk/?ver=uk; accessed: 12.06.2015.
- Flemish Institute for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention (Vigez) Homepage, http://www.vigez.be/home; accessed: 14.06.2015.
- The Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development (ZonMw), Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Programme (2010-2014), http://www.zonmw.nl/en/programmes/health-promotion-and-disease-prevention-programme/innovation-for-longer-healthy-life/; accessed: 12.05.2015.
- Ministry of Health of the Czech Republic, Health 2020 - National Strategy for Health Protection and Promotion and Disease Prevention, Prague 2014.
- University of Southern California, Institute of Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research, Home page, https://ipr.usc.edu/; accessed: 12.05.2015.
- Lalond M., A new perspective on the health of Canadians, Government of Canada, Ottawa, April 1974.
- National Consumer Health Information and Health Promotion Act. US Public Law94-317, 1976, http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/STATUTE-90/pdf/STATUTE-90-Pg695.pdf; accessed: 2.04.2015.
- MacDonald G., Davies J.K., Reflection and vision. Proving and improving the promotion of health, in: Davies J.K., Macdonald G., (eds), Quality, Evidence, and Effectiveness in Health Promotion: Striving for Certainties, Routledge, Londres 1998.
- Constitution of the World Health Organization as adopted by the International Health Conference, New York, 19-22 June 1946, http://www.who.int/about/definition/en/print.html; accessed: 16.06.2015.
- Terris M., Newer Perspectives on the Health of Canadians: Beyond the Lalonde Report. The Rosenstadt Lecture, "Journal of Public Health Policy" 1984; 5(3): 327-337.
- Lantz P.M., Lichtenstein R.L., Pollack H.R., Health Policy Approaches to Population Health: The Limits of Medicalization, "Health Affairs" 2007; 26(5): 1253-1257.
- McKeown T., The role of Medicine: Dream, Mirage, or Nemesis? Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey 1989.
- World Health Organization, The Ottawa Charter for Health Promotion, First International Conference on Health Promotion, Ottawa, 21 November 1986.
- World Health Organization, Declaration of Alma Ata, 1978, http://www.who.int/hpr/NPH/docs/declaration_almaata.pdf; accessed: 13.03.2015.
- World Health Organization, Advocacy Strategies for Health and Development: Development Communication in Action. A Background Paper to the Inter-Agency Meeting on Advocacy Strategies for Health and Development: Development Communication in Action, Geneva, 9-13 November 1992.
- Nutbeam D., Health promotion glossary, "Health Promotion International" 1998; 13(4): 349-364.
- Green L.W., Current Report: Office of Health Information, Health Promotion, Physical Fitness and Sports Medicine, "Health Education" 1980; 11(2): 28.
- Nutbeam D., Health Promotion Glossary, WHO Regional Office for Europe, Copenhagen 1985 (document IPC/HBI 503 (GO 4).
- Goodstadt M.S., Simpson R.I., Loranger P.T., Health promotion: A conceptual Integration, "American Journal of Health Promotion", 1987; 1(3): 58-63.
- Green L.W., Kreuter M.M., Health promotion planning an educational and environmental approach. 2nd ed., Mountain View, Mayfield 1991.
- Council of Europe, Committee of experts on criteria for preventative policies and health promotion. Final Report, Strasbourg 1998, http://www.coe.int/t/dg3/health/Source/1998healthpromotionRep_en.doc Access on July 10, 2015; accessed: 12.05.2015.
- Modeste N.N., Tamayose T.S., Dictionary of Public Health and Education. Terms and concepts, 2nd ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York 2004.
- Tannahill A., Health Promotion: The Tannahill model revisited, "Public Health" 2008; 122(12): 1387-1391.
- O'Donnell M.P., Definition of Health Promotion 2.0: Embracing Passion, Enhancing Motivation, Recognizing Dynamic Balance, and Creating Opportunities, "American Journal of Health Promotion" 2009; 23(1): iv.
- Goodstadt M.S., Health promotion and the bottom line: what works? Paper presented at the Seventh National Health Promotion Conference, Brisbane 1995.
- Rootman I., Goodstadt M., Potvin L., Springett J., A framework for health promotion evaluation, in: Rootman I. et al. (eds)., Evaluation in health promotion: principles and perspectives, No. 92. WHO Regional Office Europe, 2001: 7-40.
- Rokeach M., A values approach to the prevention and reduction of drug abuse, in: Glynn T.J. et al. (eds), Preventing adolescent drug abuse: intervention strategies, Department of Health and Human Services US, Rockville 1983: 172-194.
- McQueen D.V., Critical issues in theory for health promotion, in: McQueen D., Kickbusch I., Potvin L., Pelikan J.M., Balbo L., Abel T. (eds.), Health and Modernity. The Role of Theory in Health Promotion, Springer, New York 2007: 21-42.
- Norman C.D., Health promotion as a systems science and practice, "Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice" 2009;15: 868-872.
- O'Neill M., Stirling A., Travailler à promouvoir la santé ou travailler en promotion de la santé?, in: O'Neill M., Dupéré S.A., Rootman I. (eds), Promotion de la santé au Canada et au Québec. Perspectives critiques, Presses de l'Université Laval, Québec 2006: 42-61.
- Best A., Systems Thinking and Health Promotion, "American Journal of Health Promotion" 2011; 25(4): eix-ex.
- Golden B.R., Martin R.L., Aligning the stars: Using systems thinking to (re)design Canadian healthcare, "Healthcare Quart." 2004; 7(4): 34-42.
- Leischow S.J., Milstein B., Systems thinking in modeling for public health practice, "American Journal of Public Health" 2006; 96: 403-405.
- Tremblay M.C., Richard L., Complexity: a potential paradigm for a health promotion discipline, "Health Promotion International" 2014; 29(2): 378-388.
- A Report for the European Commission by the International Union for Health Promotion and Education. The Evidence of Health Promotion Effectiveness. Shaping Public Health in a New Europe. Part Two, Evidence Book, 1999.
- McKenzie J.F., Neiger B.L., Thackeray R., Planning, Implementing & Evaluationg Health Promotion Program. A Primer, Six Edition, Pearson Education, Inc., Boston 2013.
- Tenessee State Government, Website of Department of Health, Maternal and Child Health, MCH Services, http://tn.gov/health/section/MCH; accessed: 12.05.2015.
- Issel L.M., Health Program Planning and Evaluation. A practical, systematic approach for Community Health, Jones and Barlett Publishers, LLC, 2009: 23-27.
- Westmaas J.L., Gil-Rivas V., Cohen Silver R., Designing and implementing interventions to promote health and prevent illness. Foundations of health psychology, Oxford University Press, Oxford 2007: 52-72.
- Issel L.M., Measuring comprehensive case management interventions. Development of a tool, "Nursing Case Management: Managing the Process of Patient Care" 1996; 2(4): 3-12.
- Grobe S.J., Hughes L.C., The conceptual validity of a taxonomy of nursing interventions, "Journal of Advanced Nursing" 1993: 18: 1942-1961.
- The Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada, AFMC Primer on Population Health, A virtual textbook on public health concepts for clinicians, http://phprimer.afmc.ca;accessed: 12.05.2015.
- National Public Health Partnership, Preventing chronic disease: a strategic framework. Background paper, National Public Health Partnership, Melbourne, Australia, 2001.
- Breslow L., From disease prevention to health promotion, "JAMA" 1999: 281(11): 1030-1033.
- Tannahill A., What is health promotion? "Health Education Journal" 1985; 44: 167-168.
- US Department of Health, Education and Welfare, Disease prevention & health promotion: federal programs and prospects. Report of the Departmental Task Force on Prevention. DHW (PHS) Publication No. 78 0 55071B, Washington DC, 1978.
- Gordon R.S., An operational classification of disease prevention, "Public Health Reports" 1983; 98(2): 107-109.
- Bloom M., Gullotta T.P., Evolving Definitions of Primary Prevention, in: Gullotta T.P., Bloom M. (eds.), Encyclopedia of Primary Prevention and Health Promotion. A sponsored Publication of the Child and Family Agency of Southeastern Connecticut, Springer Science+Business Media, LLC, New York 2003.
- Sosic Z., Donev D., Contemporary Concept and Definition of Health Care, in: Donev D., Pavlekovic G., Kragelj L.Z. (eds.), Health Promotion and Disease Prevention. A Handbook for Teachers, Researchers, Health Professionals and Decision Makers, Stability Pact for South Eastern Europe, Hans Jacobs Publishing Company, Skopje 2007.
- Tengland P.A., Health promotion and disease prevention: Logical different conceptions? "Health Care Analysis" 2010; 4(18): 323-341.
- Tengland P.A., Health promotion or Disease Prevention: A Real Difference for Public Health Practice? "Health Care Analysis" 2010; 18: 203-221.