A Web-Based Electronic Data Interchange as Supplier and Assembly Interface
In the assembly industry, almost all components are outsourced or transferred to other parties, in order to meet the need for supply. This is referred as outsourcing of production. The outsourcing of assembly product components is based on a relationship model between the contractor and the industry. However, there is no relationship or communication pattern between the contractor or supplier and the assembler. Hence, in order to accelerate line production and overcome problems with assembly components, the communication path is shortened by providing a direct communication channel between the assembler and the supplier or contractor, in order to communicate any problems that arise during the assembly process by internal communication within the industry. The purpose of this study is the design and development of a web-based software application electronic data interchange (EDI) that can be used as a tool for communication between the assembler and supplier. The EDI application provides formal communication between the assembly industry and the contractor providing the components or parts needed in the assembly process. The main purpose of using EDI technology is to help the assembler to communicate the relevant documents to suppliers quickly, accurately and efficiently. The documents to be communicated are in the form of reports or claims, and are related to non-conformities, errors and component difficulties arising during the assembly process. This research novelty is providing direct communication between assembly and supplier by using EDI application that can give contribution in manufacturing area so it can accelerate the line production in assembly. (original abstract)
- Leavy B., Outsourcing strategies: opportunities and risks, Strategy & Leadership, 32, 6, 20-25, 2004.
- Canez L.E., Platts K.W., Probert D.R., Developing a framework for make-or-buy decision, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 20, 11, 1313-1330, 2000.
- Sharma A., Loh P., Emerging trends in sourcing of business services, Business Process Management Journal, 15, 2, 149-165, 2009.
- Van Arnum P., Bulls or bears? Outlook in contract manufacturing, Chemical Market Reporter (Feb. 14), FR3-FR6, 2000.
- Manufacturing Performance Institute (MPI), Industry week, Census of US Manufacturers Database, Manufacturing Performance Institute, 2008.
- Kaipia R., Turkulainen V., Managing integration in outsourcing relationships - the influence of cost and quality priorities, Industrial Marketing Management, 61, 114-129, 2016.
- Globerman S., Vining Aidan R., The outsourcing decision: a strategic framework, European Management Journal, 2004.
- Mohanty R.P., Mishra D., Mishra T., Comparative study of production outsourcing models, Journal of Advances in Management Research, 6, 1, 41-69, 2009.
- Demoly F., Gomes S., Eynard B., Rivest L., PLMbased approach for Assembly Process Engineering, International Journal of Manufacturing Research, 5, 4, 413-428, 2010.
- Samy S., ElMaraghy H., A model for measuring complexity of automated and hybrid assembly systems, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 62, 5-8, 813-833, 2012.
- Yen Yu Xiang, Wang Shis-Tse E., Horng Fuinn D., Supplier's willingness of customization, effective communication, and trust: a study of switching cost antecedents, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 26, 4, 250-259, 2011.
- Elfing T., Baven G., Outsourcing technical services: stages of development, Long Range Planning, 27, 5, 42-51, 1994.
- Kliem R.L., Managing the risks of outsourcing agreements, Information Systems Management, Summer, pp. 91-3, 1999.
- Meixell M.J., Kenyon G.N., Westfall P., The effects of production outsourcing on factory cost performance: an empirical study, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 25, 6, 750-774, 2014.
- Vlachos I.P., Adoption of Electronic Data Interchange by Agribusiness Organizations, Journal of International Food & Agribusiness Marketing, 16, 1, 19-42, 2004.
- Watts C., Hogan P.T., Treleven M., Issues influencing use of electronic data interchange technology, American Journal of Business, 13, 2, 7-14, 1998.
- Picot A., Neuburger R., Niggl J., Management perspectives of electronic data interchange systems, International Journal of Information Management, 13, 243-246, 1993.
- Vlosky R.P., Smith P.M., Wilson D.T., electronic data interchange implementation strategies: a case study, Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, 9, 4, 5-18, 1994.
- Hammer M., The super efficient company, Harvard Business Review, 79, 8, 82-91, 2001.
- Subramani M.R., How do suppliers benefit from IT use in supply chain relationships?, MIS Quarterly, 28, 1, 45-73, 2004.
- Grover V., Teng J., Fiedler K., Investigating the role of information technology in building buyer-supplier relationships, Journal of the AIS, 3, 217-45, 2003.
- Son J.Y., Narasimhan S., Riggins F.J., Effects of relational factors and channel climate on EDI usage in the customer-supplier relationship, Journal of Management Information Systems, 22, 1, 321-53, 2005.
- O'Callaghan R., Kaufmann P.J., Konsynski B.R., Adoption correlates and share effects of electronic data interchange in marketing channels, Journal of Marketing, 56, 45-56, 1992.
- Torrington D., Hall L., Personnel management: a new approach, London: Prentice Hall, 1991.
- Grimaldi A., At last an EDI explosion, Transport and Distribution, 31/6, 33, 1990.