Management Control Systems and Innovation Process Efficiency : a Conceptual Model
Research background: There seem to be a research gap concerning the relation between management control and innovation. Previous research in the field has generated inconclusive findings. Purpose: The purpose of the present study was to create a conceptual model representing the relation between management control and innovation. Research methodology: The study relied on a systematic literature review. The initial search yielded 269 papers, which were later analysed and reduced to select those with a substantial contribution to the purpose of the study. Next, the meta-synthesis method was employed to create a thematic map and extract information from the papers. Results: The formulated conceptual model indirectly links management control systems to innovation process efficiency through decision-making quality. Furthermore, it connects management control systems indirectly to decision-making quality, through the transactive memory system (specialisation, building credibility and coordination) and shared interpretation schemes. The link between decision-making quality and innovation process efficiency is introduced and based on the concept of an innovation process. Novelty: The paper fills in the missing link between management control and innovation by introducing decision-making quality into this context. (original abstract)
- Arundel, A., Kemp, R. (2009). Measuring eco-innovation. Working Paper Series, 31, 1-40.
- Bernstein, B., Singh, P.J. (2006). An integrated innovation process model based on practices of Australian biotechnology firms. Technovation, 26 (5/6), 561-572.
- Bock, G.-W., Zmud, R., Kim, Y., Lee, J. (2005). Behavioral intention formation in knowledge sharing: Examining the roles of extrinsic motivators, social psychological forces, and organizational climate. MIS Quarterly, 29 (1), 87-111.
- Bonner, J.M., Ruekert, R., Walker, O. (2002). Upper management control of new product development projects and project performance. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 19 (3), 233-245.
- Brandon, D.P., Hollingshead, A. (2004). Transactive memory systems in organizations: Matching tasks, expertise and people. Organization Science, 15 (6), 633-644.
- Calantone, R.J., Harmancioglu, N., Dröge. C. (2010). Inconclusive innovation "returns": A meta-analysis of research on innovation in new product development. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 27 (7), 1065-1081.
- Cooper, R.G. (2008). Perspective: The Stage-Gate idea-to-launch process - update, What's new and NextGen systems. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 25, 213-232.
- Cronin, P., Ryan, F., Coughlan, M. (2008). Undertaking a Literature Review. British Journal of Nursing, 17 (1), 38-43. DOI: 10.1177/107808747000500401.
- Davila, A., Wouters, M. (2004). Designing cost-competitive technology products through cost management. Accounting Horizons, 18 (1), 13-26.
- Dougherty, D. (1992). Interpretive barriers to successful product innovation in large firms. Organization Science, 3 (2), 179-202.
- Guan, J., Chen, K. (2010). Measuring the innovation production process: A cross-region empirical study of China's high-tech innovations. Technovation, 30 (5-6), 348-358. DOI: 10.1016/j.technovation.2010.02.001.
- Hammedi, W., Van Riel, A.C.R., Sasovova, Z. (2013). Improving screening decision making through transactive memory systems: A field study. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 30 (2), 316-330. DOI: 10.1111/j.1540-5885.2012.01001.x.
- Hansen, M.T., Birkinshaw, J. (2007). The Innovation Value Chain. Harvard Business Review, 85 (6), 121-130.
- Henri, J.F. (2006). Management control systems and strategy: a resource- based perspective. Accounting. Organizations and Society, 31 (6), 529-558.
- Hoegl, M., Parboteeah, P. (2006). Team reflexivity in innovative projects. R&D Management, 36 (2), 113-125.
- Jaworski, B.J., Macinnis. D. (1989). Marketing jobs and management controls: Toward a framework. Journal of Marketing Research, 26 (4), 406-419.
- Kihlander, I., Ritzén, S. (2012). Compatibility before completeness - Identifying intrinsic conflicts in concept decision making for technical systems. Technovation, 32 (2), 79-89. DOI: 10.1016/j.technovation.2011.10.005.
- Lewis, K. (2003). Measuring transactive memory systems in the field: Scale development and validation. Journal of Applied Psychology, 88 (4), 587-604.
- Lövstål, E., Jontoft, A.M. (2017). Tensions at the intersection of management control and innovation: a literature review. Journal of Management Control, 28 (1), 41-79. DOI: 10.1007/s00187-016-0244-3.
- Pattikawa, L.H., Verwaal, E., Commandeur. R. (2006). Understanding new product project performance. European Journal of Marketing, 40 (11-12), 1178-1193.
- Peltokorpi, V. (2008). Transactive memory systems. Review of General Psy-chology, 12 (4), 378-394.
- Pesämaa, O. (2017). Personnel- and action control in gazelle companies in Sweden. Journal of Management Control, 28 (1), 107-132. DOI: 10.1007/s00187-016-0242-5.
- Polit, D., Beck, C. (2006). Essentials of Nursing Research: Methods, Appraisal and Utilization. Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
- Rabino, S. (2001). The accountant's contribution to product development teams - a case study. Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, 18, 73-90.
- Roper, S., Dub, J., Love, J.H. (2008). Modelling the innovation value chain. Research Policy, 37 (6/7), 961-977.
- Roth, S. (2015). Non-technological and non-economic innovations. Contribution to a theory of robust innovation. Berlin: Peter Lang.
- Schultz, C., Salomo, S., De Brentani, U., Kleinschmidt, E.J. (2013). How formal control influences decision-making clarity and innovation performance. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 30 (3), 430-447. DOI: 10.1111/jpim.12009.
- Sethi, R., Iqbal, Z. (2008). Stage-gate controls, learning failure, and adverse effect on novel new products. Journal of Marketing, 72, 118-134.
- Simons, R. (1994). How new top managers use control systems as levers of strategic renewal. Strategic Management Journal, 15 (3), 169-189.
- Spano, R., Sarto, F., Caldarelli, A., Vigano, R. (2016). Innovation & Performance Measurement: An Adapted Balanced Scorecard. International Journal of Business and Management, 11 (6), 194-204. DOI: 10.5539/ijbm.v11n6p194.
- Strauss, E., Zecher, C. (2013). Management control systems: A review. Journal of Management Control, 23 (4), 233-268.
- Suomala, P. (2004). The life cycle dimension of new product development performance measurement. International Journal of Innovation Management, 8 (2), 193-221.
- Szutowski, D. (2016). Innovation and Market Value. Warsaw: Difin.
- Szutowski, D. (2018) Abnormal market valuation and new product announcements: the role of advancement stage and innovativeness, Innovation, 20 (2), 192-208. DOI: 10.1080/14479338.2018.1428104.
- Szutowski, D. (2019). The importance of decision-making quality throughout the product innovation development process. In: A., Ujwary-Gil, N., Potoczek (eds.), Network, Innovation, and Competence-based Economy (pp. 125-146). Warsaw: Institute of Economics, Polish Academy of Sciences.
- Tatikonda, M.V., Montoya-Weiss, M. (2001). Integrating operations and marketing perspectives of product innovation: The influence of organizational process factors and capabilities on development performance. Management Science, 47 (1), 151-172.
- Tervala, E., Laine, T., Korhonen, T., Suomala, P. (2017). The role of financial control in new product development: empirical insights into project managers' experiences. Journal of Management Control, 28 (1), 81-106. DOI: 10.1007/s00187-016-0241-6.
- Ylinen, M., Gullkvist, B. (2014). The effects of organic and mechanistic control in exploratory and exploitative innovations. Management Accounting Research, 25 (1), 93-112. DOI: 10.1016/j.mar.2013.05.001.
- Zhang, X.-A., Cao, Q., Tjosvold, D. (2011). Linking transformational leadership and team performance: A conflict management approach. Journal of Management Studies, 48 (7), 1586-1611.
- Zizlavsky, O. (2015). Approaches to innovation process assessment: Complex results from an exploratory investigation. International Journal of Engineering Business Management, 7 (25), 1-16. DOI: 10.5772/62052.
- Zizlavsky, O. (2016). Innovation Scorecard: Conceptual Framework of Innovation Management Control System. Journal of Global Business & Technology, 12 (2), 10-27. DOI: 10.1007/s10514-005-6843-8.