Destination Management Level Evaluation with an Emphasis on the Internationalisation Factor
The paper deals with main research problem connecting with the assessment of the quality of the tourism business environment at different levels. The aim of this paper is to identify the key indicators of the business environment of tourism. Based on identified indicators evaluation of specific destination management in the medium term is set. The benchmarking method then determines the position of regional destination management within the chosen economy. In the Czech Republic, the level of destination managers in the range of the two evaluated three-year periods of 2013-2015 and 2016-2018 improved. An influx of tourists, the use of higher-class accommodation capacities, and the increasing number of tourist destinations were drivers of these improvements at the sub-national level, taking into account the internationalisation factor of incoming tourism. On average, the number of domestic visitors in research area increased by 38% overtime, and this trend was even more pronounced from a foreign perspective at 42%. Main contribution of this paper is methodology of the designed destination management evaluation methodology applicatable at the national as well as regional level. Constructed indicator takes into account the number of foreign and domestic tourists separately and brings results and trends of internationalization in evaluated areas. (original abstract)
- Bagur-Femenías, L., Perramon, J., & Oliveras-Villanueva, M. (2019). Effects of service quality policies in the tourism sector performance: An empirical analysis of Spanish hotels and restaurants. Sustainability 11(3), 872.
- Baum, T., Amoah, V., & Spivack, S. (1997). Policy dimensions of human resource management in the tourism and hospitality industries. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 9(5-6), 221-229.
- Belas, J., Demjan, V., Habanik, J., Hudakova, M., & Sipko, J. (2015). The business environment of small and medium enterprises in the selected regions of the Czech Republic and Slovakia. E+M Ekonomie a Management, 18(1), 95-110.
- Buhalis, D., Law, R., Leung, D., & Van Hoof, H. (2013). Social media in tourism and hospitality: A literature review, Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 30(1-2), 3-22.
- Buno, M., Nadanyiova, M., & Hraskova, D. (2015). The comparison of the quality of business environment in the countries of Visegrad group. Procedia Economics and Finance, 26 (1), 423430.
- Czech Heritage Office. (2019). Statistical yearbook. [online].[cit.2019-27-7]. Retrieved July 27, 2019, from https://statistikakultury.cz
- Czech Service Quality System. (2019). Certificated organizations. [online]. [cit. 2019-29-7]. Retrieved July 27, 2019, from http://www.csks.cz
- CZSO. (2019). Statistical yearbooks. [online]. [cit. 2019-29-7]. Retrieved July 27, 2019, from https://www.czso.cz
- Djeri, L., Stamenković, P., Blešić, I., Milićević, S., & Ivkov, M. (2018). An importance-performance analysis of destinatio competitiveness factors: case of Jablanica district in Serbia. Economic research - ekonomska istrazivanja. 31(1), 811-826.
- Dörrenbächer, C. (2000). Measuring corporate internationalization. Intereconomics, 35(3), 119126.
- Hilmersson, M., & Johanson, M. (2016). Speed of SME internationalization and performance. Management international review, 56(1), 67-94.
- Ivanová, E. (2017). Barriers to the development of SMEs in the Slovak Republic. Oeconomia Copernicana, 8(2), 255-272.
- Johanson, M., & Martín, O. M. (2015) The incremental expansion of born internationals: a comparison of new and old born internationals. Int Bus Rev, 24(3), 476-496.
- Kasim, A., Dzakiria, H., (2016). Exploring the influence of macro-environment on small medium size hotel entrepreneurs' predisposition to adopt strategic orientation, ISSC 2016 International Conference on Soft Science, 14, 517-523.
- Klvačová, E. (2008). Phenomenon of renting and its impact on Czech public finance. Praha: Professional publishing.
- Korcsmáros, E., & Šimova, M. (2018). Factors affecting the business environment of SMEs in Nitra region in Slovakia. Oeconomia Copernicana, 9(2), 309-331.
- Kotíková, S, & Pavlů, K. (2018). Impact of globalization on the structure of accommodation capacities in the border area of the former Sudetenland. Globalization and its socio-economic consequences, 1, 1283 - 1290.
- Kozak, M.( 2002). Measuring komparative destination performance: A study in Spain and Turkey. J. Travel Tour. Mark, 13, 83-110.
- Lam, T., & Xiao, H. (2000), Challenges and constraints of hospitality and tourism education in China, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management,12 (5), 291-295.
- Luo, W. (2018). Evaluating tourist destination performance: Expanding the sustainability concept. Sustainability, 10(2), 516.
- Malach, A. (2005). How to do business after joining the EU. Praha: Grada Publishing
- Neumannová, A. (2014). Corporate diagnostics. Bratislava: Iura Edition.
- Řepík, O. (2017) Malé a střední podnikání v cestovním ruchu a jeho veřejná podpora. XX. mezinárodní kolokvium o regionálních vědách [Small and medium business in tourism and its public support. XX. International Colloquium on Regional Sciences]. Sborník příspěvků. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 10, 690-699. [In Czech].
- Rogalska, E. (2018). Multiple-criteria analysis of regional entrepreneurship conditions in Poland. Equilibrium. Quarterly Journal of Economics and Economic Policy, 13(4), 707-723.
- Ryglová, K. (2007). Limiting factors in the field of business activities in rural tourism. Agriculture Economics, 53(9), 421-431.
- Seo, Y. W., & Lee, Y. H. (2019). Effects of internal and external factors on business performance of start-ups in South Korea: The engine of new market dynamics. International Journal of Engineering Business Management. 11, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1177/1847979018824231.
- Šikula, M. (2006). Globalization, integration and termination of transformation - defining the economic development of Slovakia and prerequisites for modernization of Slovak society. Bratislava: Economic Institute SAV. Retrieved July 27, 2019, from http://www.ekonom.sav.sk
- Strážovská, E., Strážovská, Ľ., & Pavlík, A. (2007). Small and medium-sized enterprises. Bratislava: Sprint
- Sullivan, D. (1993). Measuring the degree of internationalization of a firm. Journal of International Business Studies,25(2), 325-342.
- Viturka, M., & Wokoun, R. (2014). Regional development and regional policy in the Czech Republic after 1989. Geoscape, 8(2), 41-47.
- Westman, L., Luederitz, C., Kundurpi, A., Mercado, A. J., Weber, O., Burch, S. L. (2019). Conceptualizing businesses as social actors: A framework for understanding sustainability actions in small- and medium-sized enterprises. Bus Strat Env. 28, 388-402.
- Yıldırım, Y, U. S. B. (2006). Performance measurement in tourism a value chain model. Int. J. Contemp. Hosp. Manag, 18, 341-349.