Key Audit Matters: a Research on Listed Firms in CEE Countries and Turkey
This study aims to identify and analyze the most significant matters (key audit matters) in auditing highlighted in auditors' reports of companies in the manufacturing sector and to determine whether there is a divergence or convergence between the CEE countries and Turkey. Three CEE countries were chosen according to their economic development levels (Romania, Poland and the Czech Republic). Audit reports of the firms listed in stock exchange examined and analyzed for the year ended in 2017 by frequency and cross-table analysis. When the manufacturing sector is considered as a whole, both key audit matters (KAMs) sub-headings and the average number of KAMs showed the most similarity in Turkey and Poland. In a more specific assessment, Turkey bears a resemblance to both Poland and Romania in the "fabricated metal production" sub-sector. The most notable difference in terms of KAMs sub-headings between Turkey and two of the CEE countries (Poland and Romania) is "going concern." (original abstract)
- Abdolmohammadi, M. J., & Tucker, R. R., (2002).The influence of accounting and auditing on a country's economic development.Review of Accounting and Finance, 1(3), 42-53.
- ACCA. (2017). Embracing transparency enhancing value: A first year review of the enhanced auditor's report in Singapore. Retrieved September 14, 2018, from https://www.accaglobal.com
- ACCA. (2018a). Key audit matters: Unlocking the secrets of the audit. Retrieved September 14, 2018, from https://www.accaglobal.com
- ACCA. (2018b). Enhanced auditors' report A review of first-year implementation experience in Malaysia. Retrieved September 14, 2017, from https://www.accaglobal.com
- Accountancy Europe, (2019). Definition of public interest entities in Europe- State of play after the implementation of 2014 audit reform. Retrieved February 12, 2019, from https://www.accountancyeurope.eu
- Accountancy Europe. (2015). Recent developments in auditor communication. Retrieved February 12, 2019, from https://www.accountancyeurope.eu
- Asare, S. K., & Wright, A. M., (2012). Investors', auditors' and lenders' understanding of the message conveyed by the standard audit report on the financial statements. Accounting Horizon, June 2012, 26(2), 193-217.
- Backof, A., Bowlin, K., & Goodson, B. (2014). The impact of proposed changes to the content of the audit report on jurors' assessments of auditor negligence. Retrieved February 27, 2019, from http://papers.ssrn.com
- Brasel, K., Doxey, M., Grenier, J. H., & Reffett, A (2016). Risks disclosure preceding negative outcomes: The effects of reporting critical audit matters on judgment of auditor liability. The Accounting Review, 91(5), 1345-1362.
- Brenninkmeijer, A., Moonen, G., Debets, R., & Hock, B. (2018). Auditing standards and the accountability of the European Court of Auditors (ECA). Utrecht Law Review, 14(1), 1-17.
- Brown, T., Majors, T., & Peecher, M., (2015).The influence of evaluator evidence, A judgment rule, and critical audit matters on assessments of auditor legal liability. Unpublished Manuscript, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign.
- BVB (2019). Shares. Retrieved June 22, 2019, from http://www.bvb.ro
- Christensen, B., E., Glover, S. M., & Wolfe, C. J. (2014). Do critical audit matter paragraphs in the audit report change nonprofessional investors' decision to invest?. Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, 33(4), pp.71-93.
- Coram, P. J., Mock T. J., Turner J. L., & Gray G. L. (2011). The communicative value of the auditor's report. Australian Accounting Review, 21(3), 235-252.
- Craswell, A. T., Francis J. R., & Taylor S. L. (1995). Auditor brand name reputations and industry specialisations'. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 20, 297-322.
- Czerney, K., Schmidt, J., & Thompson A. (2014). Does auditor explanatory language in unqualified audit reports indicate increased financial misstatement risk. The Accounting Review, 89(6), 2115-2149.
- Deloitte, (2017). Benchmarking the new auditor's report- Key audit matters and other additional information. Retrieved December 21, 2018, from https://www2.deloitte.com
- Djadvarpour, M., & Larsson, J. (2014). The audit report - How will the auditor's application of ISA 701 affect the audit expectation gap?, Unpublished Manuscript, Skövde: HögskolaniSkövde.
- Dogan, B., & Arefaine, B. (2017).The implementation of ISA 701- Key audit matters: Empirical evidence on auditors' adjustment in the new audit report. Unpublished Manuscript, Uppsala University, Department of Business Studies.
- Doogar, R., Rowe, S. P., & Sivadasan P. (2015). Asleep at the wheel (again)? Bank audits during the lead-up to the financial crisis. Contemporary Accounting Research, 32(1), 358-391.
- EU.(2011). Proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on specific re-quirements regarding audit of public-interest entities. European Commission, Brussels.
- European Investment Bank. (2013). Banking in Central Europe and Turkey Challenges and opportunities. Retrieved August 9, 2019, from https://www.eib.org
- Francis, J.R., & Wang, D. (2008). The joint effect of investor protection and Big 4 audits on earnings quality around the world. Contemporary Accounting Research, 25(1), 157-191.
- Gökgöz, A., (2018). Kilit denetim konularının bağımsız denetçi raporunda bildirilmesi ve borsa İstanbul'da işlem gören işletmeler üzerine bir araştırma [Reporting the key audit issues in the independent auditor's report and conducting a research on the companies listed on the Istanbul Stock Exchange]. Journal of Acoounting, Finance and Auditing Studies. 4(2), 126-138.
- Gold, A., Gronewold U., & Pott C. (2012). The ISA 700 auditor's report and the audit expectation gap do explanations matter?. International Journal of Auditing,16(3), pp.286-307.
- GPW (2019). List of companies. Retrieved July 22, 2019, from https://www.gpw.pl
- ISA 701. (2017). Communicating key audit matters in the independent auditor's report Retrieved December 12, 2017, from https://www.ifac.org
- Kachelmeier, S. J., Schmidt, J. J., & Valentine, K. (2015). The disclaimer effect of disclosing critical audit matters in the auditor's report. Unpublished Manuscript, The University at Texas at Austin.
- Kavut, F. L., & Güngör, N. (2018). Bağımsız denetimde kilit denetim konuları: BİST-100 şirketlerinin 2017 yılı analizi. Journal of Accounting Institute, 16(59), 59-70.
- KGK (2016, September 1). Table 3 - Public interest institutions (PIEs). Retrieved July 22, 2019, from http://www.kgk.gov.tr
- Kipp, P. (2017). The effect of expanded audit report disclosures on users' confidence in the audit and the financial statements. Retrieved February 12, 2019, from https://scholarcommons.usf.edu
- Köhler, A. G., Ratzinger- Sakel, N. V. S., & Theis, J. C. (2016). The effect of key audit matters on the auditor's report's communicative value: Experimental evidence from investment professionals and nonprofessional investors. http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2838162
- Kostova, S. (2016). Opportunities for enhancing informative value of audit reports.Theory and Methodology of Accounting, Control and Analysis, 1, 113-121.
- KPMG. (2016). EU Audit Reform- What you need to know. Retrieved December 12, 2018, from https://assets.kpmg
- KPMG. (2017). Key audit matters- Auditor's report snapshot. Retrieved December 12, 2018, from https://assets.kpmg
- Lennox C. S., Schmidth, J. J., & Thompson, A. M. (2018). Are the expanded model of audit reporting informative to investors? Evidence from the U.K. Retrieved December 12, 2018, fromdoi:http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2619785
- Lundgren L., & Oldenborg M. (2016). The public interest paradox of the Swedish auditing profession: A quantitative study of potential effects of Swedish auditing profession. Unpublished Manuscript, UMEÅ Unıversitet, Umea School of Business and Economics.
- Masdor, N., & Shamsuddin, A. (2018). The implementation of ISA 701- Key audit matters: A review. Global Business and Management Research: An International Journal, 10(3), (2018, Special Issue), 1107-1115.
- Nelson, M. W. (2006). Ameliorating conflicts of interest in auditing: Effects of recent reforms on auditors and their clients. Academy of Management Review, 31(1), 30-42.
- Pacter, P. (2017). Pocket Guide to IFRS standards: The global financial reporting language. Retrieved February 12, 2019, from https://www.ifrs.org
- Procházka, D. (2017). Specifics of IFRS adoption by Central and Eastern European Countries: Evidence from research. Scientific Annals of Economics and Business, 64(1), 59-81.
- PSE. (2019). Market Data. Retrieved July 22, 2019, from https://www.pse.cz
- PWC. (2017a). Enhanced auditor's report-Review of first year experience in Hong Kong. Retrieved December 12, 2018, from https://www.pwchk.com
- PWC. (2017b). Enhanced auditor's report- Survey of first year experience in Singapore. Retrieved December 12, 2018, from https://www.pwc.com
- Reid, L. C., Carcello, J. V., Li, C., & Neal, T. L. (2017). Impact of auditor and audit committee report changes on audit quality and costs: Evidence from the United Kingdom Retrieved February 12, 2019, from https://papers.ssrn.com
- Ruhnke, K., & Schmidt, M., 2014. The audit expectation gap: Existence, causes, and the impact of changes. Accounting and Business Research, 44(5), 572-601.
- Sikka, P. (2009. Financial crisis and the silence of the auditors. Accounting, Organizations and Society, 34(6-7), 868-873.
- Sirois, L. P., Bédard, J., & Bera, P. (2016). The informational value of key audit matters in the auditor's report: Evidence from an eye-tracking. Retrieved December 12, 2017, from http://ssrn.com
- Statistics Times (2019, March 19). List of European countries by GDP. Retrieved July 22, 2019, from http://statisticstimes.com
- Vanstraelen, A.,Schelleman, C., Meuwissen R., & Hofmann, I. (2012). The audit reporting debate: Seemingly intractable problems and feasible solutions. European Accounting Review, 21 (2), pp.193-215.
- XRB and FMA. (2017). Key audit matters A stock take of the first year in New Zealand. Retrieved February 12, 2018, from https://www.xrb.govt.nz
- Yanık S., & Karataş, M. (2017). Denetim raporlarının geleceği: Yeni düzenlemeler ve ülke uygulamaları [The future of audit reports: New regulations and country practices]. Muhasebe ve Finansman Dergisi, January (2017), 1-26.