Changes in Product Value Contributing to Customer Satisfaction: the Case of the Digital Camera
Using time series information, we identify the changes in the benefit items of products contributing to customer satisfaction. Through multiple regression analysis, where the customer satisfaction ratings are the outcome variable and the evaluation items are the predictors, we compare initial and successor digital camera models from the same manufacturer; benefit items differ depending on the models. We found that design is significant in the initial models while functionality is significant in successor models. (original abstract)
- Bjorn, F., Ankara, T., Okuma, N. (2009), Economic influences on customer satisfaction and their difference by core and peripheral functions [in Japanese], Japan Industrial Management Association, 60(2): 87-94. DOI:10.1109/IEEM.2008.4737860
- Chikara, T., Fujino, K. (1997), Models and techniques for measuring customer satisfaction so as to evaluate information systems [in Japanese], Information Processing Society of Japan, 38: 891-903.
- Chitturi, R., Raghunathan, R., Mahajan, V. (2008), Delight by design: The role of hedonic versus utilitarian benefits, Journal of Marketing, 72(3): 48-63. https://doi.org/10.1509/JMKG.72.3.048
- Eisenman, M. (2013), Understanding Aesthetic Innovation in the Context of Technological Evolution, Academy of Management Review, 38(3): 332-351.
- Gemser, G., Leenders, M. (2001), How integrating design in the product development process impacts on company performance, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 18(1): 28-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0737-6782(00)00069-2
- Goto, S., Shigemoto, Y., Ishida, S. (2017), The comprehensive analysis of technology and design for a competitive advantage [in Japanese], Journal of Japan Association for Management Systems, 34(1): 73-78.
- Goto, S., Shigemoto, Y., Ishida, S. (2019), Perceived function: An investigation into a product advantage between aesthetics and function, Journal of Technology Management & Innovation, 14(2): 33-43. http://dx.doi.org/10.4067/S0718-27242019000200033
- Han, H., Shim, C., Lee, W.S., Kim, W. (2019), Product performance and its role in airline image generation and customer retention processes: Gender difference, Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 36(4): 536-548. https://doi.org/10.1080/10548408.2019.1583627
- Hirschman, E.C., Holbrook, M.B. (1982), Hedonic consumption: Emerging concepts, methods and proposition, Journal of Marketing, 46(3): 92-101. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224298204600314
- Homburg, C., Schwemmle, M., Kuehnl, C. (2015), New product design: Concept, measurement, and consequences, Journal of Marketing, 79(3): 41-56. https://doi.org/10.1509/jm.14.0199
- Kano, N., Seraku, N., Takahashi F., Tsuji, S. (1984), Attractive quality and must-be quality [in Japanese], Journal of the Japanese Society for Quality Control, 14(2): 39-47.
- Kotler, P., Armstrong, G. (2011), Principles of Marketing (14th edition), Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- March, A. (1994), Usability: The new dimension of product design, Harvard Business Review, 72(5): 144-149.
- New Product Check Up. Nikkei (morning) (2016), 2 August.
- Nobeoka, K. (2010), Management of technology to capture value: Importance of non-functional value [in Japanese], Hitotsubashi Business Review, 57: 6-19.
- Ott, M., Cardie, C., Hancock, J. (2013), Negative deceptive opinion spam, Proceedings of the 2013 Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies, June, pp. 497-501.
- Shimaguchi, M. (1994), Kokyaku manzokugata marketing no kouzu atarashi kigyou seityou no rinri wo motomete. Tokyo: Yuhikaku.
- Shin, Y.H., Kim, H., Severt, K. (2019), Consumer values and service quality perceptions of food truck experiences, International Journal of Hospitality Management, 79: 11-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2018.12.008
- Swan, J., Combs, L.J. (1976), Product performance and consumer satisfaction: A new concept, Journal of Marketing, 40(2): 25-33. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224297604000206
- Teng, Y.-M., Wu, K.-S. (2019), Sustainability development in hospitality: the effect of perceived value on customers' green restaurant behavioral intention, Sustainability 2019, 11, 1987; DOI: 10.3390/su11071987
- Wang, C.-H. (2017), Association rule mining and cognitive pairwise rating based portfolio analysis for product family design, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 30(4): 1911-1922. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10845-017-1362-y
- Xu, X., Li, Y. (2016), The antecedents of customer satisfaction and dissatisfaction toward various types of hotels: A text mining approach, International Journal of Hospitality Management, 55: 57-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2016.03.003