Manager's Role and Skills in Design Management in the Organization
Purpose: The purpose of this paper is to present the undertaken literature review regarding the extent to which analysis and research on design management and design managerial skills have been carried out so far. Methodology/approach: A literature review is presented along with several types of management as possible solutions to restraining the problem of introducing design to the organization as a way to develop the organization's innovative activities.Findings: The paper presents design as a type of organization activity important from the point of view of innovation and competitiveness of enterprises. The essence of design and its role in innovative processes are described. Design management and the role of design managers were characterized. Managerial skills necessary for the adequate implementation of design activities in the organization were also shown. The above considerations were based on the literature review.Implications/limitations either for future research, for practice, or for society: Most of the studies are based on research conducted years ago. The topic of design management returns in busi-ness practice, but there is little research on this topic in modern enterprises. Especially rarely, these topics apply to small and medium-sized enterprises that could benefit a lot from the implementation of design management.Originality/value of the paper: The paper begins with an overview of the role of the design in the innovation processes and then moves on to the implementation of design management. The author then proposes several categories of the managerial skills required for design activities in the organizations and presents their importance for the innovation activities in the organization.(original abstract)
- Acklin, C. (2010), "Design-Driven Innovation Process Model", Design Management Journal, Vol. 5 No. 1, pp. 50-60. DOI: 10.1111/j.1948-7177.2010.00013.x
- Acklin, C., Fust, A. (2014), "Towards a dynamic mode of design management and beyond", 19th DMI: Academic Design Management Conference Design Management in an Era of Disruption London, 2-4 September 2014. DOI: 10.13140/2.1.4145.0887
- Balteco, "Design Management", available at: https://balteco.com/about/design-philosophy (accessed 6 June 2020).
- Best, K. (2006), Design management: managing design strategy, processes and implementation, AVA Publ., Lausanne.
- Bohemia, E. (2002), "Designer as Integrator: Reality or Rhetoric?", The Design Journal, Vol. 5 No. 2, pp. 23-34. DOI: 10.2752/146069202790718549
- Borja de Mozota, B. (2003), Design Management. Using design to build brand value and corporate innovation, Allworth Press, New York.
- Bruce, M., Morris, B. (1994), "Managing external design professionals in the product development process", Technovation, Vol. 14 No. 9, pp. 585-599. DOI: 10.1016/0166-4972(94)90041-8
- Caldecote, V. (1979), "Investment in new product development", Journal of the Royal Society of Arts, Vol. 127 No. 5279, pp. 684-699.
- Chiva, R., Alegre, J. (2007), "Linking design management skills and design function organization: an empirical study of Spanish and Italian Ceramic tile producers", Technovation, Vol. 27 No. 10, pp. 616-627. DOI: 10.1016/j.technovation.2007.05.015
- Christensen, C.M. (2000), The innovator's dilemma, Harper Business, New York.
- Danish Design Centre (2019), "The Design Ladder: Four steps of design use", DDC, available at: https://danskdesigncenter.dk/en/design-ladder-four-steps-design-use (accessed 13 October 2019).
- Danneels, E. (2002), "The dynamics of product innovation and firm competences", Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 23 No. 12, pp. 1095-1121. DOI: 10.1002/smj.275
- Dell'Era, C., Verganti, R. (2010), "Collaborative strategies in design-intensive industries: knowledge diversity and innovation", Long Range Planning, Vol. 43 No. 1, pp. 123-141. DOI: 10.1016/j.lrp.2009.10.006
- Design Management Institute (2019), "What is design management?", DMI, available at: https://www.dmi.org/page/What_is_Design_Manag (accessed 15 October 2019).
- Design Week, "'Frustrated' packaging manager leaves Tesco", available at: https://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/7-november-1996/frustrated-packaging-manager-leaves-tesco/ (accessed 2 June 2020).
- Dickson, P., Schneider, W., Lawrence, P., Hytry, R. (1995), "Managing design in small high growth companies", Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 12 No. 5, pp. 406-414.
- Dumas, A., Whitfield, A. (1989), "Why design is difficult to manage: A survey of attitudes and practices in British industry", European Management Journal, Vol. 7 No. 1, pp. 50-56. DOI: 10.1016/0263-2373(89)90143-6
- Farr, M. (1965), "Design management: Why is it needed now?", Design Journal, No. 200, pp. 38-39, available at: https://vads.ac.uk/diad/article.php?title=200&year=1965&article=d.200.22 (accessed 14 October 2019).
- Fernández-Mesa, A., Alegre-Vidal, J., Chiva-Gómez, R., Gutiérrez-Gracia, A. (2013), "Design management capability and product innovation in SMEs", Management Decision, Vol. 51 No. 3, pp. 547-565. DOI: 10.1108/00251741311309652
- Gaynor, G.H. (2002), Innovation by design: what it takes to keep your company on the cutting edge, AMACOM, New York.
- Gorb, P., Dumas, A. (1987), "Silent design", Design Studies, Vol. 8 No. 3, pp. 150-156. DOI: 10.1016/0142-694X(87)90037-8.
- Junginger, S. (2008), "Product development as a vehicle for organizational change", Design Issues, Vol. 24 No. 1, pp. 26-35. DOI: 10.1162/desi.2008.24.1.26
- Kotler, P., Rath, G.A. (1984), "Design: A Powerful but Neglected Strategic Tool", Journal of Business Strategy, Vol. 5 No. 2, pp. 16-21. DOI: 10.1108/eb039054
- Kotter, J.P. (1996), Leading change, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA.
- Linden, A. (2017), "How I Build Effective Design Teams", available at: https://www.designerfund.com/blog/build-effective-design-teams/ (accessed 6 June 2020).
- OECD (2015), Frascati Manual 2015: Guidelines for Collecting and Reporting Data on Research and Experimental Development, OECD, Paris.
- Perks, H., Cooper, R., Jones, C. (2005), "Characterizing the role of design in new product development: an empirically derived taxonomy", Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 22 No. 2, pp. 111-112. DOI: 10.1111/j.0737-6782.2005.00109.x
- Piatier, A. (1984), Barriers to Innovation, Frances Pinter, London.
- Roy, R., Riedel, J.C. (1997), "Design and innovation in successful product competition", Technovation, Vol. 17 No. 10, pp. 537-549. DOI: 10.1016/S0166-4972(97)00050-3
- Rutkowski, E. (2016), "Maszyna też chce być piękna", available at: https://mycompany-polska.pl/artykul/362/wzornictwo-design (accessed 2 June 2020).
- Rutkowski, E. (2015), "Wywiad z Maciejem Głogowskim, dyrektorem ds. rozwoju firmy Flowair", available at: https://projekt-wbz.com.pl/a/48,wywiad-z-maciejem-glogowskim-dyrektorem-ds-rozwoju-firmy-flowair (accessed 2 June 2020).
- Teece, D.J., Pisano, G., Shuen, A. (1997), "Dynamic capabilities and strategic management", Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 18 No. 7, pp. 509-533. DOI: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199708)18:7<509::AID-SMJ882>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Thomson, M., Koskinen, T. (Eds.) (2012), Design for Growth & Prosperity. Report and Recommendations of the European Design Leadership Board, The European Design Leadership Board/Unigraphia, Helsinki.
- Topalian, A. (1990), "Design Leadership in Business: The Role of NonExecutive Directors and Corporate Design Consultants", Journal of General Management, Vol. 16 No. 2, pp. 39-62. DOI: 10.1177/030630709001600203
- Verganti, R. (2011), "Radical design and technology epiphanies: a new focus for research on design management", Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 28 No. 3, pp. 384-388. DOI: 10.1111/j.1540-5885.2011.00807.x
- Walsh, V. (1996), "Design, Innovation and the Boundaries of the Firm", Research Policy, Vol. 25 No. 4, pp. 509-529. DOI: 10.1016/0048-7333(95)00847-0
- Walsh, V., Roy, R., Bruce, M., Potter, S. (1993), "Perspectives on Design and Innovation", Creativity and Innovation Management, Vol. 2 No. 2, pp. 78-86. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8691.1993.tb00076.x
- Woodham, J.M. (2010), "Formulating national design policies in the United States: recycling the emperor's new clothes", Design Issues, Vol. 26 No. 2, pp. 7-46, available at: https://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1162/DESI_a_00003 (accessed 14 October 2019)