The Role of Employees in Shaping Brand Performance
The impact of employee activities on creating the brand management process is becoming increasingly important in the modern economy. Therefore, the role of employees in shaping brand performance should be defined. The study investigates the mediating role of employee brand commitment in the relationship between employee openness and brand performance. In order to verify the potential relationship, empirical studies were conducted in 2019. The first stage was a pilot survey covering a group of 25 managers acting as competent judges, followed by the main study, during which results from 268 organisations located in Poland were collected. To develop and verify the assumed hypothesis, the following research methodology was used: a systematic literature review, correlation analysis, and multiple linear regression analysis with a mediator. The results of the research have shown that the shaping of brand performance is influenced by employee openness, and indirectly by employee brand commitment. It was established that brand performance is indirectly and significantly influenced by employee openness and also that employee brand commitment is a mediator in this relationship. (original abstract)
- Adamska-Chudzińska, M. (2012), Niezawodność pracowników jako warunek przezwyciężania sytuacji kryzysowych w działalności gospodarczej, Nierówności społeczne a wzrost gospodarczy, 25, 105--115. (Original work published in Polish).
- Alqahtani, N.D., Uslay, C. (2020), Entrepreneurial marketing and firm performance: Synthesis and conceptual development, Journal of Business Research, 113, 62-71. http://doi.org/10.22215/timreview/1183
- Altaf, M., Mokhtar, S.S.M., Ghani, N.H.A. (2019), Employee brand equity: Mediating role of brand role clarity and employee brand commitment, Social Sciences & Humanities, 27, 165-175.
- Armstrong G., Kotler Ph. (2012), Marketing. Wprowadzenie, Warszawa: Oficyna Wolters Kluwer. (Original work published in Polish).
- Armstrong, M. (1980), Human resource management practice, London and Philadelphia: Kogan Page.
- Armstrong, M. (1988), A handbook of human resource management, Nichols Pub Co.
- Asha, C.S., Jyothi, P. (2013), Internal branding: A determining element of organizational citizenship behaviour, Journal of Contemporary Management Research, 7(1), 37-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.09.127
- Balmer, J.M.T. (2001), Corporate identity, corporate branding and corporate marketing: seeing through the fog, European Journal of Marketing, 35(3/4), 248-91. DOI: 10.1108/03090560110694763
- Barrick, M.R., Mount, M.K. (1991), The big live personality dimensions and job performance: A meta-analysis, Personnel Psychology, 44, 1-26. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1991.tb00688.x
- Barron, B. (2000), Achieving coordination in collaborative problem-solving groups, The Journal of the Learning Sciences, 9(4), 403-436. DOI: 10.1207/S15327809JLS0904_2
- Beatty, S.E., Kahle, L.R., Homer, P. (1988), The involvement-commitment model: Theory and implications, Journal of Business Research, 16(2), 149-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(88)90039-2
- Bieńkowska, A., Tworek, K. (2020), Job performance model based on Employees' Dynamic Capabilities (EDC). Sustainability, 12(6), 2250. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12062250
- Bieńkowska, A., Tworek, K., Zabłocka-Kluczka, A. (2020), Organizational reliability: Human resources, information technology and management, London: Routledge & CRC Press.
- Burmann, C., Zeplin S. (2005), Building brand commitment: A behavioural approach to internal brand management, Journal of Brand Management, 12(4), 279-300. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.bm.2540223
- Burmann, C., Zeplin, S., Riley, N. (2008), Key determinants of internal brand management success: An exploratory empirical analysis, Journal of Brand Management, 16(4), 264-284. https://doi.org/10.1057/bm.2008.6
- Castro, C.B., Armario, E.M., Sanchez del Rio, M.E. (2005), Consequences of market orientation for customers and employees, European Journal of Marketing, 39(5/6), 646-75. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560510590755
- Cheung, C., Kong, H., Song, H. (2014), How to influence hospitality employee perceptions on hotel brand performance? International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 26(8), 1162-1178. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-02-2013-0090
- Cui, A.P., Hu, M.Y., Griffith D.A. (2014), What makes a brand manager effective? Journal of Business Research, 67 (2), 144-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2012.11.002
- Czakon W. (2019), Walidacja narzędzia pomiarowego w naukach o zarządzaniu, Przegląd Organizacji, 4, 4-10. https://doi.org/10.33141/po.2019.04.01 (Original work published in Polish).
- De Vries, N., Carlson, J. (2014), Examining the drivers and brand performance implications of customer engagement with brands in the social media environment, Journal of Brand Management, 21, 495-515. https://doi.org/10.1057/bm.2014.18
- Devendranath Reddy, V., Fabiyola Kavitha S. (2019), Brand equity and brand performance on branded apparels in Chennai City, International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering, 8(11), 3576-3579. DOI: 10.35940/ijitee.K2475.0981119
- Erkmen, E., Hancer,M. (2015), Linking brand commitment and brand citizenship behaviors of airline employees: "The role of trust", Journal of Air Transport Management 42(1), 47-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2014.08.001
- Foreman, J., Argenti, P.A. (2005), How corporate communication influences strategy implementation, reputation and the corporate brand: an exploratory qualitative study, Corporate Reputation Review, 8(3), 245-264. DOI: 10.1057/palgrave.crr.1540253
- Garas, S.R.R., Mahran, A.F.A., Mohamed, H.M.H. (2018), Internal corporate branding impact on employees' brand supporting behaviour, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 27(1), 79-95.
- Gelb, B., Rangarajan, D. (2014), Employee contributions to brand equity, California Management Review, 56(2), 95-112. https://doi.org/10.1525/cmr.2014.56.2.95
- Hemsley, S. (1998), Internal Affairs, Marketing Week, 2, 49-50, 53.
- Han, J.K., Kim, N., Srivastava, R.K. (1998), Market orientation and organizational performance: Is innovation a missing link?, Journal of Marketing, 62(4), 30-45.
- Hardaker, S., Fill, C. (2005), Corporate services brands: The intellectual and emotional engagement of employees, Corporate Reputation Review, 7, 365-376. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.crr.1540232
- Harris, F., de Chernatony, L. (2001), Corporate branding and corporate brand performance, European Journal of Marketing, 35(3/4), 441-456. DOI: 10.1108/03090560110382101
- He, H., Li, Y. (2011), CSR and service brand: The mediating effect of brand identification and moderating effect of service quality, Journal of Business Ethics, 100(4), 673-688. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-010-0703-y
- Henkel, S., Tomczak, T., Wentzel, D. (2007), Bringing the brand to life: Structural conditions of brand-consistent employee behavior, Marketing Review St. Gallen, 24(1), 13-16. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03249137
- Iyer, P., Davari, A., Paswan A., (2018a), Determinants of brand performance: The role of internal branding, Journal of Brand Management, 25, 1-15. DOI: 10.1057/s41262-018-0097-1
- Iyer, P., Davari, A., Zolfagharian, M., Paswan A. (2018b), Market orientation, positioning strategy and brand performance, Industrial Marketing Management, 81, 16-29. http://dx.doi.org/10.1057/s41262-018-0097-1
- Juran, J.M. (1989), Juran on leadership for quality: An executive handbook, Washington: Free Press.
- Kaplan, R.S., Norton, D.P. (1996), The Balanced Scorecard: Translating strategy into action, Boston: Harvard Business School Press.
- Kashive, N., Khanna, V.T. (2017), Building employee brand equity to influence organization attractiveness and firm performance, International Journal of Business & Management, 12(2), 207-219. http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/ijbm.v12n2p207
- Kimpakorn, N., Tocquer, G. (2009), Employees' commitment to brands in the service sector: Luxury hotel chains in Thailand, Journal of Brand Management, 16(8), 532-544. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.bm.2550140
- Kimpakorn, N., Tocquer, G. (2010), Service brand equity and employee brand commitment, Journal of Services Marketing, 24(5), 378-388. DOI: 10.1108/08876041011060486
- King, C., Grace, D. (2012), Examining the antecedents of positive employee brand-related attitudes and behaviours, European Journal of Marketing, 46(3), 469-488. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090561211202567
- Kowalczyk, R., Kucharska, W. (2019), Corporate social responsibility practices incomes and outcomes: Stakeholders' pressure, culture, employee commitment, corporate reputation, and brand performance. A Polish-German crosscountry study, Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 27, 595-615. DOI: 10.1002/csr.1823
- Kucharska, W. (2020), Employee commitment matters for CSR practice, reputation and corporate brand performance - European model, Sustainability, 12, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12030940
- Kucharska, W., Flisikowski, K., Confente, I. (2019), Do global brands contribute to the economy of their country of origin? - A dynamic spatial approach, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 27(7), 768-780. https://doi.org/10.1108/jpbm-10-2017-1641
- Lai, C.-S., Chiu, C.-J., Yang, C.-F., Pai, D.-C. (2010), The effects of corporate social responsibility on brand performance: The mediating effect of industrial brand equity and corporate reputation, Journal of Business Ethics, 2010, 95, 457-469. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-010-0433-1
- McCrae R., Costa P.T. (1986), Openness to experience, in: R. Hogan, W. Jones (Eds.), Perspectives in Personality (pp. 145-172), Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.
- Meyer, J.P., Herscovitch, L. (2001), Commitment in the workplace: Toward a general model, Human Resource Management Review, 11, 229-326. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1053-4822(00)00053-X
- Mijan, R., Abdullah, N. A. (2019), How do the brand-oriented SMEs communicate?, International Journal, 4(17), 71-79. DOI:10.35631/ijlgc.417007
- Miles, S.J., Mangold, W.G. (2004), A conceptualization of the employees branding process, Journal of Relationship Marketing, 3(2/3), 65-87. https://doi.org/10.1300/J366v03n02_05
- Morgan, R.M., Hunt, S.D. (1994), The commitment-trust theory of relationship marketing, Journal of Marketing, 58 (3), 20-38. DOI: 10.2307/1252308
- Ngo, L.V., Nguyen, N.P., Huynh, K.T., Gregory, G., Cuong, P.H. (2019), Converting internal brand knowledge into employee performance, Journal of Product & Brand Management, 29(3), 273-287. DOI: 10.1108/JPBM-10-2018-2068
- O'Cass, A., Ngo, L. (2007), Balancing external adaptation and internal effectiveness: achieving better brand performance, Journal of Business Research, 60(1), 11-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2006.08.003
- Piehler, R. (2018), Employees' brand understanding, brand commitment, and brand citizenship behaviour: a closer look at the relationships among construct dimensions, Journal of brand management, 25(3), 217-234. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41262-018-0099-z
- Poulis, A., Wisker, Z. (2016), Modeling employee-based brand equity (EBBE) and perceived environmental uncertainty (PEU) on a firm's performance, Journal of Product & Brand Management, 25(5), 490-503. https://doi.org/10.1108/JPBM-04-2015-0852
- Punjaisri, K., Wilson, A. (2011), Internal branding process: key mechanisms, outcomes and moderating factors, European Journal of Marketing, 45(9/10), 1521-1537. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090561111151871
- Saks A. M. (2006), Antecedents and consequences of employee engagement, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 21, 600-619. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940610690169
- Schiller, S.Z., Cui, J. (2010), Communication openness in the workplace: The effects of medium (F2F and IM) and culture (US and China), Journal of Global Information Technology Management, 13(2), 37-75. DOI: 10.1080/1097198X.2010.10856514
- Schmidt, H.J., Baumgarth, C. (2018), Strengthening internal brand equity with brand ambassador programs: Development and testing of a success factor model, Journal of Brand Management, 25(3), 250-265. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41262-018-0101-9
- Tews, M.J., Michel, J.W., Noe, R.A. (2011), Beyond objectivity: The performance impact of the perceived ability to learn and solve problems, Journal of Vocational Behavior, 79(2), 484-495. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2010.11.005
- Tuominen, S., Hirvonen, S., Reijonen, H., Laukkanen, T. (2016), The internal branding process and financial performance in service companies: An examination of the required steps, Journal of Brand Management, 23(3), 306-326. https://doi.org/10.1057/bm.2016.9
- Tworek, K., Walecka-Jankowska, K., Zgrzywa-Ziemak, A. (2018), Information systems reliability and organizational performance, in: International Conference on Information Systems Architecture and Technology (pp. 201-210), Cham: Springer.
- Vandenberg, R.J., Lance, C.E. (1992), Examining the causal order of job satisfaction and organizational commitment, Journal of Hospitality Management, 1, 153-167. DOI: 10.12691/jbms-1-2-2
- Wulandari, M.P., Burgess, J. (2011), The linkage between trust, communication openness in the workplace, and employees' job satisfaction: An Indonesian case study, Employment Relations Record, 11(2), 56.
- Xiong, L., King, C., Piehler, R. (2013), 'That's not my job': exploring the employee perspective in the development of brand ambassadors, International Journal of Hospitality Management, 35, 348-359. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2013.07.009
- Yang, J.-T., Wan, C.-S., Wu, C.-W. (2015), Effect of internal branding on employee brand commitment and behavior in hospitality, Tourism and Hospitality Research, 15(4), 267-280. https://doi.org/10.1177/1467358415580358