South Africa: Economic and Social Aspects of Sustainable Development
South Africa remains a unique example of a country that underwent complex political, economic and social transformation within a short period of time. The most advanced and industrialised economy on the continent, the only member of G20, it is also a state of deep inequalities, where white minority has preserved vast political and economic privileges, while black majority suffers from poverty and dies prematurely from killer diseases. It is also a country of contradictions: despite its long and recent history of racial segregation and inequality, the degree of social cohesion remains surprisingly high. The purpose of the article is to discuss the challenges and achievements of South African transition based on the ambitious SDGs' framework in two subfields: economic and social one. This is done through a descriptive analysis based on literature review, enriched by statistical data(original abstract)
- Adams, W.M. (2006), 'The Future of Sustainability: Re-Thinking Environment and Development in the Twenty-First Century'. Report of the IUCN Renowned Thinkers Meeting, 29-31 January 2006. IUCN.
- Alvaredo, F., Chancel, L., Piketty, T., Saez, E., Zucman, G. (2019), 'World Inequality Report 2018'. World Inequality Lab, https://wir2018.wid.world/.
- Arrow, K., Dasgupta, P., Goulder, L., Daily, G., Ehrlich, P., Heal, G., Levin, S. et al. (2004), 'Are We Consuming Too Much?' Journal of Economic Perspectives 18 (3). http://stephenschneider.stanford.edu/Publications/PDF_Papers/Arrow_JEP_2004.pdf.
- Barbier, E.B. (1987), 'The Concept of Sustainable Economic Development'. Environmental Conservation 14 (2): 101-10. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0376892900011449.
- Basiago, A.D. (1999). 'Economic, Social, and Environmental Sustainability in Development Theory and Urban Planning Practice', The Environmentalist 19: 145-161.
- Brodhag, C., Talière, S. (2006). 'Sustainable Development Strategies: Tools for Policy Coherence'. Natural Resources Forum 30 (2): 136-45, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1477-8947.2006.00166.x.
- 'Charting a New Path for Land Reform'. (2019). South Africa Government News Agency. 2 April 2019. https://www.sanews.gov.za/features-south-africa/charting-new-path-land-reform.
- Daly, H.E. (1990), 'Toward Some Operational Principles of Sustainable Development'. Ecological Economics 2 (1): 1-6, https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-8009(90)90010-R.
- Dasgupta, P., Heal, G. (1974), 'The Optimal Depletion of Exhaustible Resources'. The Review of Economic Studies 41: 3-28, https://doi.org/10.2307/2296369.
- Department of Basic Education, South Africa (2019), 'National School Nutrition Programme'. 2019. https://www.education.gov.za/Programmes/NationalSchoolNutritionProgramme.aspx.
- Department of Environmental Affairs, South Africa (2012), 'National Waste Information Baseline Report', http://sawic.environment.gov.za/documents/1880.pdf.
- Department of Finance, South Africa (1996), 'Growth, Employment and Redistribution Strategy', http://www. treasury.gov.za/publications/other/gear/chapters.pdf.
- Department of Science and Technology, South Africa (2019), 'White Paper on Science, Technology and Innovation March 2019', https://www.dst.gov.za/index.php/legal-statutory/white-papers/2775-white-paper-on-science-technology-and-innovation.
- Department of Transport, South Africa (2017), 'National Rail Policy: Draft White Paper. First Draft'. https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/gcis_document/201708/draftwhitepapernationalrailpolicy.pdf.
- 'Emergency Plan to Protect Women and Children' (2019), South Africa Government News Agency. 19 September 2019, https://www.sanews.gov.za/south-africa/emergency-plan-protect-women-and-children.
- Ganser, R., Carpenter, J., Ngombe, A. (2009), 'Measuring Socially Sustainable Urban Regeneration in Europe'. Oxford Institute for Sustainable Development (OISD), http://oisd.brookes.ac.uk/sustainable_communities/resources/Social_Sustainability_and_Urban_Regeneration_report.pdf.
- Goodland, R., Daly, H. (1996), 'Environmental Sustainability: Universal and Non-Negotiable', Ecological Applications 6 (4): 1002-1017, https://doi.org/10.2307/2269583.
- Goodland, R., Daly, H.E., Salah El Serafy. (1991), 'Environmentally Sustainable Economic Development: Building on Brundtland', http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/332821467989482335/pdf/multi-page.pdf.
- Gray, R. (2010), 'Is Accounting for Sustainability Actually Accounting for Sustainability...and How Would We Know? An Exploration of Narratives of Organisations and the Planet'. Accounting, Organizations and Society 35 (January): 47-62, https://doi.org/10.1080/0969160X.2011.556420.
- Hames, M. (2007), 'Rights and Realities: Limits to Women's Rights and Citizenship after 10 Years of Democracy in South Africa', Third World Quarterly 27 (7): 1313-1327.
- Hartwick, J.M. (1977). 'Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources'. The American Economic Review 67 (5): 972-974.
- Ipsos (2019), 'South Africans Weigh in on Attitudes towards Women'. Ipsos. 6 September 2019, https://www.ipsos.com/en-za/south-africans-weigh-attitudes-towards-women.
- Kaivo-oja, J., Panula-Ontto, J., Luukkanen, J., Vehmas, J. (2014), 'Relationships of the Dimensions of Sustainability as Measured by the Sustainable Society Index Framework', The International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology 21 (August): 39-45, https://doi.org/10.1080/13504509.2013.860056.
- Khan, M.A. (1995), 'Sustainable Development: The Key Concepts, Issues and Implications. Keynote Paper given at the International Sustainable Development Research Conference, 27-29 March 1995, Manchester, UK', Sustainable Development 3 (2): 63-69, https://doi.org/10.1002/sd.3460030203.
- Khumalo, T. (2019), 'South Africa Declares "Femicide" a National Crisis'. Voice of America. 20 September 2019, https://www.voanews.com/africa/south-africa-declares-femicide-national-crisis.
- Kolk, A. (2016), 'The Social Responsibility of International Business: From Ethics and the Environment to CSR and Sustainable Development', Journal of World Business, The World of Global Business 1965-2015, 51 (1): 23-34, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2015.08.010.
- Linnenkoper, K. (2019), 'Latest Recycling Stats for South Africa, Recycling International', 1 2 August, https://recyclinginternational.com/business/latest-recycling-stats-for -south-africa/27327/.
- Littig, B., Griessler, E. (2005), 'Social Sustainability: A Catchword between Political Pragmatism and Social Theory'. International Journal of Sustainable Development 8 (1/2): 65-79.
- Makou, G. (2017), 'Do South African Women Earn 27% Less than Men?' Africa Check, 27 September, https://africacheck.org/reports/south-african-women-earn-27-less-men/.
- Marlow, C.R. (2010), Research Methods for Generalist Social Work. Cengage Learning.
- 'Medium-Term Strategic Framework (MTSF) 2014-2019' (2014), https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/gcis_document/201409/mtsf2014-2019.pdf.
- Mosala, S.J., Venter, J.C.M., Bain, E.G. (2017), 'South Africa's Economic Transformation since 1994: What Influence Has the National Democratic Revolution (NDR) Had?' The Review of Black Political Economy 44 (3-4): 327-40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12114-017-9260-2.
- Mtantato, S., Ngozo, T. (2018), 'SA's "Welfare State" Is in Trouble', The Mail&Guardian, https://mg.co.za/article/2018-09-28-00-sas-welfare-state-is-in-trouble/.
- Mullis, I.V.S., Martin, M.O., Kennedy, A.M., Foy, P. (2007). 'PIRLS 2006 International Report: IEA's Progress in International Reading Literacy Study in Primary School in 40 Countries'. TIMSS & PIRLS International Study Center, Boston College, https://timss.bc.edu/pirls2006/intl_rpt.html.
- National Planning Commission (2019), '2019 South Africa Voluntary National Review: Empowering People and Ensuring Inclusiveness and Equality'. National Planning Commission, South Africa, https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/23402RSA_Voluntary_National_Review_Report__9_July_2019.pdf.
- National Planning Commission, South Africa (2012), 'Our Future - Make It Work: National Development Plan 2030'. National Planning Commission, South Africa, https://nationalplanningcommission.wordpress.com/the-national-development-plan/.
- Norton Rose Fulbright. (2018). 'Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment - Basic Principles', https://www.Nortonrosefulbright.Com:443/En-Za/Knowledge/Publications/Imported/2018/08/08/20. 2018. https://www.nortonrosefulbright.com/en-za/knowledge/publications/fe87cd48/broad-based-black-economic-empowerment--basic-principles.
- OECD (2019a). 'Better Life Index', http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/