The European Union and the United Arab Emirates as Civilian and Soft Powers Engaged in Sustainable Development Goals
The article analyses the European Union (EU) - as European international organisation and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) - the only federal state in the Arab World as civilian and soft powers, strongly active to reach the UN 2030 Agenda. The ambitious projects, as well as actions, strategies, and visions of this international entity for reaching Sustainable Development Goals, should be analysed due to its impact on the international environment and emerging new international relations architecture. The author carried out research using primarily descriptive and analytical methods. To this end, rich source material, such as documents, strategies, and statements has been tested. In findings, the article presents the EU and the UAE as civilian and soft powers, its projects, and their implementation, including the green economy program, the energy strategies, and initiatives related to climate changes, humanitarian aid as well as in favour for peace, security, and tolerance. This research in conclusion demonstrates the role and significance of Sustainable Development Goals for the European Union as well as the United Arab Emirates strengthening power in the international arena. (original abstract)
- Abed, I., & Hellyer, P. (2001). United Arab Emirates: A New Perspective. Trident Press Ltd, 165.
- Alevizos, H. (2017). Renewable Sources of Energy: The Pan-Arab Prospect Energy and Environmental Policy Laboratory, in: Working Paper, 6 December 2017, University of Piraeus, 9. http://energypolicy.unipi.gr/wpcontent/uploads/2017/12/Unipi_WP6_Alevizos2017.pdf.
- Aldroubi, M. (2018). UAE to take the international lead on soft power, The National, December 27. https://www.thenational.ae/world/gcc/uae-to-take-international-lead-on-soft-power-1.806868.
- Alfaham, T. (2019). UAE, EEAS hold first Senior Officials' Meeting to launch the Cooperation Arrangement. WAM. https://www.wam.ae/en/details/1395302776990.
- Ardemagni, E. (2019). The Geopolitics of Tolerance: Inside the UAE's Cultural Rush, 03 febbraio 2019, ISPI (Istituto per gli Studi di Politica Internazionale).
- Alam, T., & Luomi, M. (2018). Engaging Gulf Non-state and Subnational Actors in Implementing the Paris Agreement, Earth Matters Consulting, in: EDA Working Paper, May 2018, Emirates Diplomatic Academy, 28-29.
- Al Hawi, F., Al Ketbi, H., Al Humairi, M., Thomas, L., & Warner, R. (2018). Realizing a Smarter City through Smarter Human Capital, in: Policy Brief, No. 53, Mohammed Bin Rashid School of Government, December 2018, 2. https://www.mbrsg.ae/getattachment/a791e3f1-ffbc-4fb5-89dc-d783ecd1ded1/Realizing-a-Smarter-Citythrough-Smarter-Human-Cap
- Al Suwaidi, A. (2017). The UAE Soft Power in the International Relations Context. International Journal of Social Science and Humanities Research, 5(4).
- Awad, M. (2013).UAE boosts diplomatic presence in Europe. The National. Dubai. https://www.thenational.ae/uae/government/uae-boosts-diplomatic-presence-in-europe-1.292926
- Ballard, J. (2017). Strategic Approaches The Potent smart-Power of the UAE, National Defense College, 01 February 2017. http://www.ndc.ac.ae/en/strategic-approaches-the-potentsmart-power-of-the-uae
- Ballard, J. (2016). Strategic Issues: Coordinating National Power, National Defense College, 04 December 2016. http://www.ndc.ac.ae/en/strategic-issues-coordinating-national-power
- Ballard, J. (2017). Strategic Issues: Sources of National Strength, 04 January 2017, National Defense College. http://www.ndc.ac.ae/en/strategic-issues-sources-of-national-strength
- Brljavac, B., & Conrad, M. (2011). A Global Civilian Power? The Future Role of the European Union in International Politics, Reykjavik, 99.
- Burckhardt, C.W., (2004). Why is there a public debate about the idea of a 'Civilian Power Europe'?, EI Working Paper 2004 - 02, London School of Economics and Political Science, European Institute, p. 10.
- Burton, G., & Osman, E. (2018). Thinking about Sustainability and Sustainable Development with Public Private Partnerships, in: Sustainable Development, Session No. 11, January 2018, Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Global Initiatives, Policy Council on PPPs, 4-5. https://www.mbrsg.ae/getattachment/f6801325-608c-41f8-b990-feff44d29f95/Thinking-about-Sustainability-and-Sustainable-Deve
- Clark, H. (2018). Time for Strong Partnerships for the SDGs, in: EDA Reflection, November 2018, Emirates Diplomatic Academy. http://www.eda.ac.ae/docs/default-source/Publications/edareflection_sdgpartnerships_en_final.pdf?sfvrsn=2
- Clinton, H. (2011). America's Pacific Century: The future of politics will be decided in Asia, not Afghanistan or Iraq, and the United States will be right at the Centre of action, Foreign Policy, November 2011.
- Council of the EU. (2015). EU signs visa waiver agreement with the United Arab Emirates. Press release http://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-7103-2015-INIT/en/pdf
- Council of the European Union. (2010). 20th EU-GCC Joint Council and Ministerial Meeting, Joint Communique, Presse 197. Luxembourg, 14 June 2010.
- Duchêne, F. (1972). Europe in World Peace, in: Europe Tomorrow: Sixteen Europeans Look Ahead, ed. Mayne R., London
- Duchêne, F. (1973). The European Community and the Uncertainties of Interdependence. In Max Kohnstamm and Wolfgang Hager, eds, A Nation Writ Large? Foreign-Policy Problems before the European Community. London: Macmillan, 19.
- EEAS (2016). Federica Mogherini, HR/VP meets with Dr. Amal Al Qubaisi, UAE Federal National Council Speaker in Brussels. Press releases: 160818_2. Brussels. https://eeas.europa.eu/headquarters/headquarters homepage_is/8363/Federica%20Mogherini,%20HR/VP%20meets%20with%20Dr.%20Amal%20Al%20Qu baisi,%20UAE%20Federal%20National%20Council%20Speaker%20in%20Brussels
- EEAS. (2018). EU and UAE sign a Cooperation Arrangement. Press releases: 180131_15. Bruxelles. https://eeas.europa.eu/headquarters/headQuartershomepage_it/39170/EU%20and%20UAE%20sign%20a%20Cooperation%20Arrangement
- Esraa, I. (2018). UAE's total trade with the European Union reached EUR 52 billion. WAM. http://wam.ae/en/details/1395302680408
- Esraa, I., & Rasha A. (2019). UAE a global model for promoting peace through humanitarian role in Yemen, says EU President. WAM. http://wam.ae/en/details/1395302732327
- EU. (2011). EU High Representative Catherine Ashton visits the Gulf, MEMO/11/250. Brussels, 17 April 2011. https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/MEMO_11_250
- European Commission. (2015). The Participation Of The European Union In Various Organisations For Cooperation To Prevent And Counter Terrorism. Joint Decision Of The European Commission And The High Representative Of The Union For Foreign Affairs And Security Policy. Join(2015) 32 Final. Brussels, 27.8.2015. https://eurlex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:52015JC0032&from=EN
- Erdağ, R. (2016). Towards European Security Integration: Boundaries of European Security and Defence Policy, Journal of European Integration 38(2), 211-217.
- EU and UAE sign a Cooperation Arrangement, Bruxelles, 31/01/2018 - 18:31, UNIQUE ID: 180131_15. https://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/fiji/39170/press-release-eu-and-uae-sign-cooperation-arrangement_nl
- Europe 2020: A European strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth, European Commission, Brussels, 3.3.2010 Com(2010) 2020.
- Everts, S. (2002). A Word of Advice from Europe: Soft Power Works. The National Interest, 1(6).
- Excellence In Implementation: Executive Summary, Voluntary National Review, Un High Level Political Forum 2018, National Committee on Sustainable Development Goals, 16.
- Gibbins, J. (2017). Power play: The United Arab Emirates' new approach to geopolitics, Journal of Middle Eastern Politics and Policy. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Kennedy School of Government. http://hksjmepp.com/united-arabemirates-geopolitics/
- Gnesotto, N. (2001). Terrorism and European integration. Newsletter 35 ISS - Paris, 2001.
- Government.ae Climate Action, (2018). https://www.government.ae/en/about-the-uae/leaving-no-onebehind/13climateaction (23.12.2018)
- Governmentae, (2018). Efforts towards sustainability. https://government.ae/en/information-andservices/environment-and-energy/environmental-protection/efforts-towards-sustainability (01.11.2018)
- Government.ae, (2018). Green Economy for Sustainable Development https://www.government.ae/en/about-theuae/economy/green-economy-for-sustainable-development (16 Oct 2018)
- Government.ae, (2018). Dubai Clean Energy Strategy. https://government.ae/en/about-the-uae/strategies-initiativesand-awards/local-governments-strategies-and-plans/dubai-clean-energy-strategy (12.11.2018)
- Government.ae, (2019). Gender Equality. https://www.government.ae/en/about-the-uae/leaving-no-onebehind/5genderequality (07.05.2019)
- Griffiths S., (2018). Bilateral Energy Diplomacy in a Time of Energy Transition, in: EDA Insight, December 2018, Emirates Diplomatic Academy, 9-10. http://www.eda.ac.ae/docs/default-source/Publications/edainsight_fret-ii_bilateral-diplomacy_en.pdf?sfvrsn=2
- Gulf News, (2017). UAE's Soft Power Strategy discussed, Gulf News, September 26, 2017. https://gulfnews.com/uae/government/uaes-soft-power-strategy-discussed-1.2096694
- Göll, E., Uhl, A., & Zwiers, J. (2019). Sustainable Development In The Mena Region, MENARA Future Notes No. 20, March 2019, 5-7.
- Günek, A. (2018). A New Type of Soft Power: Country Branding, International Journal of Cultural and Social Studies (IntJCSS), June 2018: Volume 4, Issue 1. https://dergipark.org.tr/download/article-file/525907
- Hertog, S. (2017). A quest for significance: Gulf oil monarchies' international 'soft power' strategies and their local urban dimensions. LSE Kuwait Programme Paper Series (42). The London School of Economics and Political Science, London, UK.
- Hettne, B., & Söderbaum, F. (2005). Civilian Power or Soft Imperialism? The EU as a Global Actor and The Role of Interregionalism, European Foreign Affairs Review, 17-18.
- Hill, C. (1990). European foreign policy, power bloc, civilian model, or flop? In: The European of an International Actor. Western Europe's New Assertiveness, ed. Rummel R., Boulder 1990, 54.
- Koutrakos, P. (2017). The European Union's Common Foreign and Security Policy After the Treaty of Lisbon, Stockholm: Swedish Institute for European Policy Studies, 2017.
- Laursen, F. (2016). The EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP) after the Lisbon Treaty: Supranational Revolution or Adherence to Intergovernmental Pattern?, F. Laursen (ed.) in The EU's Lisbon Treaty, 67-87, Routledge.
- Lequesne, C. (2016). The European External Action Service: Can a New Institution Improve the Coherence of the EU Foreign Policy? in The EU's Foreign Policy, Routledge, 97-104.
- Lonardo, L. (2017). 'The political question doctrine as applied to common foreign and security policy', European Foreign Affairs Review 22(4), 2017, 575.
- Lootah, A.N. (2019). 'Excellence in Implementation': The UAE Model in Reaching the Global Agenda 2030, in: EDA Reflection, May 2019, Emirates Diplomatic Academy.
- Luomi, M. (2018). The Foreign Relations of Energy Transition -Framing the Issue for the UAE, in: EDA Insight, December 2018, The Foreign Relations of Energy Transitions Series, 9.
- Madakam, S., & Ramaswamy, R. (2016). Sustainable Smart City: Masdar (UAE) (A City: Ecologically Balanced), in: Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol 9(6), National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE), February 2016, p. 5 and 6.
- Malek, C. (2014). EU sets up international centre in Abu Dhabi. The National. Dubai. https://www.thenational.ae/uae/government/eu-sets-up-international-centre-in-abu-dhabi-1.255060
- Manners, I. (2002). Normative Power Europe: A Contradiction in Terms? Rutherford College University of Kent, Canterbury, 26.
- Maull, H. (1990). Germany and Japan: The New Civilian Powers, Foreign Affairs, vol. 69, no. 5, 1990, 92-3.
- Mills, R. (2017). Global Governance of Carbon Capture and Storage: Role for the GCC?, in: EDA Insight, December 2017, Emirates Diplomatic Academy, 8.
- Ministry of Climate Change and Environment, 30 May 2019.
- MOCAF. (2017). Mohammad Bin Rashid launches UAE Soft Power Council. https://www.mocaf.gov.ae/en/media/news/mohammad-bin-rashid-launches-uae-soft-power-council
- MOEI, (2019). Vice President unveils UAE energy strategy for the next three decades. https://www.moei.gov.ae/en/mediacentre/news/10/1/2017/ (07.05.2019)
- MOFAIC. (2020). H.H. Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed meets EU High Representative. News. https://www.mofaic.gov.ae/en/mediahub/news/2020/1/23/23-01-2020-uae-european-union
- Montéville, M., & Kettunen, M. (2019). Assessing and accelerating the EU progress on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in 2019, a briefing to inform the UN High Level Political Forum (HLPF) and the SDG Summit in New York (9 - 18 July and 24 - 25 September 2019), IEEP 2019, 6-7, 11.
- Mouriadou, G. (2016). EU-GCC Clean Energy Technology Network. Working Groups Consultation Workshop. Dubai. http://www.eugcc-cleanergy.net/wg-workshop2016%2CDubai
- Mulholland, E. (2017). The Role of European Parliaments in the Implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs, ESDN Quarterly Report 45, July 2017, ESDN Office, Vienna.
- Nye, J. (2004). Soft Power: The Means to Success in World Politics, Foreign Affairs, May/June 2004 Issue.
- Özer, Y. (2012). The European Union As A Civilian Power: The Case Of The Eu's Trade Policy, Marmara Journal of European Studies, Volume 20, No: 2, 85.
- Pehli̇vantürk, B., & Demi̇rtaş, B. (2018). Civilian Powers and Contemporary Global Challenges, Perceptions, Spring 2018, Volume XXIII, Number 1, 4. https://www.moccae.gov.ae/assets/30e58e2e/national-climate-change-planfor-the-united-arab-emirates-2017-2050.aspx (7.05.2019)
- Prodi, R. (2000). 2000-2005 Shaping the New Europe. Speech to the European Parliament. Speech/00/41. Strasbourg, 15 Feb.
- Reflection Paper: Towards A Sustainable Europe By 2030, European Commission 2019, 7-9.
- Riddervold, M. (2016). '(Not) in the hands of the member states: How the European Commission influences EU security and defence policies', JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell 54(2), 353-369.
- Riddervold, M., & Rosén, G. (2016). 'Trick and treat: How the Commission and the European Parliament exert influence in EU foreign and security policies', Journal of European Integration 38(6), 687-702.
- Saberi, D. (2018). Paris Cody Morris, Marochi Belisa, Soft power and place branding in the United Arab Emirates: examples of the tourism and film industries, International Journal of Diplomacy and Economy, Volume 4, Issue 1, 2018.
- Salem, F. (2016). A Smart City for Public Value. Digital Transformation through Agile Governance - The case of "Smart Dubai", Dubai: Governance and Innovation Program, Mohammed Bin Rashid School of Government, World Government Summit, February 2016, 5, 44. https://www.mbrsg.ae/getattachment/6f151e2b-0c5f-407f-ae35-ab70934c2d58/A-Smart-City-for-Public-Value (07.07.2019)
- Sheena, A. (2019). UAE ranked world's top aid donor in 2017: OECD. Dubai Gazette. Dubai. https://dubaigazette.com/uae-ranked-worlds-top-aid-donor-in-2017-oecd/
- Smith, K.E., (2005). Still 'civilian power EU? European Foreign Policy Unit Working Paper 2005/1, London School of Economics, 17.
- Smith, K.E., (2005). Beyond The Civilian Power EU Debate, Politique Européenne, 2005/3 N 17, 64.
- Stephens, M., El-Sholkamy, Moonesar I.A., & Awamleh R. (2019). Future Governments, Academy of International Business, Mohammed Bin Rashid School of Government, 73.
- Stur, B. (2017). Jyrki Katainen: 'There is untapped trade potential between GCC and Europe'. NewEurope. https://www.neweurope.eu/article/jyrki-katainen-untapped-trade-potential-gcc-europe/
- Sustainable Development Report (2019). Transformations to achieve the SDG, Bertelsmann Stiftung and Sustainable Development Solutions Network. https://s3.amazonaws.com/sustainabledevelopment.report/2019/2019_sustainable_development_report.pdf
- SWFI. (2019). Top 81 Largest Sovereign Wealth Fund Rankings by Total Assets. https://www.swfinstitute.org/fundrankings/sovereign-wealth-fund
- Telò, M., & Ponjaert F. (2016). The EU's Foreign Policy: What Kind of Power and Diplomatic Action? London, New York, 62.
- Tulmets, E. (2008). The European Union: A "Soft Power" With Civilian Means?, Kultura i Polityka, 2008/2-3, 61.
- UAECABINTET. (2019). The National Strategy for Innovation. https://uaecabinet.ae/en/the-national-strategy-forinnovation (08.05.2019).
- Urpelainen, J. (2018). International Cooperation on 7 SDG on Affordable and Clean Energy for All, in: EDA Insight, December 2018, Emirates Diplomatic Academy, 4. http://www.eda.ac.ae/docs/defaultsource/Publications/eda-insight_fret-iv_cooperation-on-sdg7_en.pdf?sfvrsn=2
- WAM. (2017). Mohammed bin Rashid launches UAE Soft Power Council. http://wam.ae/en/details/1395302611062
- Water in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development: How Can Europe Act?, United Nations and Cultural Organization, 2019, 21.
- Woodward, R., (2018). The UAE - Soft Superpower In The Making? TRENDS Research & Advisory, May 30, 2018. http://trendsinstitution.org/the-uae-soft-superpower-in-the-making/
- UAE, EEAS hold first Senior Officials' Meeting to launch the Cooperation Arrangement, WAM/Tariq Alfaham, 2019.
- UAE Space Agency. (2019). Hope Probe. https://www.space.gov.ae/Page/20121/20167/Hope-Probe
- WAM. (2016). EU praises UAE's drive for renewable energy. https://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/eu-praisesuae-s-drive-for-renewable-energy-2016-04-29-1.628755
- WAM. (2018). UAE-EU trade hits $65bn. Dubai. http://emirates-business.ae/uae-eu-trade-hits-65bn/
- Zielonka, J. (2006). Explaining Euro-Paralysis: Why Europe is Unable to Act in International Politics. Macmillan Press, 227.