Financial Leasing in Albania and the Impact that Internal Factors of a SME Would Have on the Probability to be Financed by Lease
Small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) are the backbone of the economy and their need to be financed remains one of the most discussed topics in the business world (; ). Financial leasing is a midterm financial instrument mainly used for the procurement of machinery, equipment, tools and/or property (). Although the financial leasing in Albania started in 2001, this form of business financing has experienced difficulties in spreading, getting recognised and being used by the public in Europe which is different from other countries. About 19 years after the creation of the first leasing companies, this financing option continues to be used at a low scale by businesses and individuals and it remains segmented into the market despite its large potential and the need for financing similar to SMEs. Why is financial leasing not yet used in Albania and which are some of the factors that would influence its use in the future? The purpose of this article is to identify the reasons of why the financial leasing market in Albania is in stagnation and understand some of the factors that influence the demand from a SME to be financed through lease. To achieve this and understand firms' behaviour, questionnaire has been distributed to companies that have used lease to finance their asts and those that have never used it before. The model used to analyse the results of the questionnaires is the logistic regression. As we will see through the article, factors in need for financing by SMEs or the knowledge firms have about leasing have a direct impact on the possibility of firms to use lease. (original abstract)
- Ajai, N. K. dhe Mulder T. A. 2004, "The history of Leasing Leasing an Underutilized Tool in Rural Finance". The World Bank, Washington
- Alasuutari, P., Bickman, L., & Brannen, J. (2008). The SAGE handbook of social research methods.Sage Publications, London
- Ayadi, R. (2009). SME financing in Europe: Measures to improve the rating culture under the new banking rules. In Financing SMEs in Europe. SUERF - the Money and Finance Forum, Vienna.
- Brealey, R.A., Myers, S.C. dhe Allen F., (2006), "Principles of Corporate Finance". 8th ed. McGrawHill International Edition. New York
- Bank of Albania. (2013). Guide to Restructuring Business Loans. Retrieved from https://www. bankofalbania.org.
- Bank of Albania. (2014). Lending Activity Survey, January 2014. Retrieved from https://www. bankofalbania.org.
- Bank of Albania. (2015). Lending Activity Survey, January 2015. Retrieved from https://www. bankofalbania.org.
- Bank of Albania. (2015). Quarterly Monetary Policy Report, November 2015. Retrieved from https://www.bankofalbania.org/.
- Bank of Albania. (2015). Annual Report 2015. Retrieved from https://www.bankofalbania.org/.
- Bank of Albania. (2016). Ending Activity Survey, January 2016. Retrieved from https://www. bankofalbania.org/.
- Bank of Albania (2015). Supervision Annual Report. Retrieved from https://www.bankofalbania.org/.
- Bank of Albania (2016). Supervision Annual Report. Retrieved from https://www.bankofalbania.org/.
- Bank of Albania (2017). Supervision Annual Report. Retrieved from https://www.bankofalbania.org/.
- BIS. (2012). SME access to external finance. In BIS Economic Paper No. 16. January 2012.
- Cook, P., & Nixson, F. (2000). Finance and small and medium-sized enterprise development. University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management. Manchester
- Dunteman, G. H. (1989). Principal components analysis. Newbury Park: Sage Publications.
- ECB. (2012). Survey on the access to finance of SMEs in the Euro area. October 2011 to March 2012. 2012, April 27. Retrieved from http://www.ecb.int/ stats/money/surveys/sme/html/index.en.html
- EIM. (2009). Cyclicality of SME finance. May 2009.
- Fletcher, M; Freeman, R.; Sultanov, M. and Umarov, U. (2005). "Leasing in development. Guidelines for emerging economies" IFC. Washington
- Hendel, I., & Lizzeri, A. (1998). The role of leasing under adverse selection. In NBER Working Paper No. 6577. May 1998.
- Hosmer, W. D., & Lemeshow, S. (2000). Applied logistic regression (2nd ed.). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Hosmer, D. W., & Lemeshow, S. (2013). Applied logistic regression. New York, NY: Wiley.
- INSTAT. (2016). Statistics on small and medium enterprises. 2016. Retrieved from http://www.instat.gov.al/.
- INSTAT. (2017). Business Register, 2016. Retrieved from http://www.instat.gov.al/.
- International Finance Corporation (IFC). (1998). Overview of legislation on leasing: Recommendations on legal framework. International Finance Corporation, Russia Leasing Development Group.
- International Finance Corporation (IFC). (2009). Leasing in development: Guidelines for emerging economies. Washington, DC: IFC.
- International Finance Corporation (IFC). (2010). Access to finance annual review report 2010. Washington, DC: IFC.
- International Finance Corporation (IFC). (2011). Global leasing toolkit. Washington, DC: IFC.
- International Labor Organization (ILO). (2003). "Leasing for Small and Micro Enterprises: A Guide for Designing and Managing Leasing Schemes in Developing Countries", Switzerland.
- Jaszczuk, J., Białek-Jaworska, A., Opolski, K., Sylwestrzak, M., & Trzpioła, K. (2018). Leasing puzzle in polish small firms listed on the alternative market. Central European Economic Journal, 5(1), 25-39.
- Kotorri A. dhe Korbi A; 2010, "Sistemi Financiar", Tiranë
- Korbi, A. (2015). Qiraja financiare (Leasing), burim alternativ financimi për ndërmarrjet shqiptare. Tiranë
- Kraemer-Eis, H., & Lang, F. (2012). The importance of Leasing for SME Finance. European Investment Fund (EIF). Luxembourg.
- Salzman J. (2003). "Methodological Choices Encountered in the Construction of Composite Indices of Economic and Social Well-Being. Ottawa". Center for the Study of Living Standards.
- Tabachnick, B. G., & Fidell, L. S. (2007). Using multivariate statistics (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Allyn & Bacon.
- World Bank. (2014). Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) Access to Finance Demand Survey in.
- World Leasing Year Book. (2016). London: Euro Money Publications.
- Wysocka, M. (2008). Credit or leasing? Comparative analysis. Warszawa: Drągowski A.D.