Strategy Disclosure in the Integrated Report
Purpose: The aim of this paper is to present the way a company may disclose information on the strategy in an Integrated Report (IR) and explain the value creation. In this way the aim is also to determine the extent to which companies have actually embraced an integrated perspective of corporate reporting. Design/methodology/approach: The study is an exploratory one. It considers the extent to which companies are dealing with strategy-related issue of value creation in their Integrated Reports. The article uses the method based on a textual analysis of an Integrated Report of a Polish company having the longest experience in the publication of IR focusing on the strategy disclosure. Findings: Ex-ante information on a company's intended strategy is requested by investors but it is largely non-financial (describes management's projected course of action) and often not verifiable, therefore its credibility may be questioned. Originality/value: The examination if the IR was prepared in accordance with the 10 elements of a long-term strategy, created by FCLT Global (2015). (original abstract)
- 1. ACCA (2018). Insights into integrated reporting 2.0: walking the talk. Retrieved from https://integratedreporting.org/resource/acca-insights-into-integrated-reporting-2-0-walking-the-talk/, 10.06.2019.
- 2. Atkins, J., and Maroun, W. (2015). Integrated reporting in South Africa in 2012: Perspectives from South African institutional investors. Meditari Accountancy Research, Vol. 23 Iss. 2, 197-221.
- 3. Barron, O.E., Kile, C.O. and O'Keefe, T.B. (1999). MD&A quality as measured by the SEC and analysts' earnings forecasts. Contemporary Accounting Research, 16(1), 75-109.
- 4. Bek-Gaik, B. (2016). Model biznesu w sprawozdawczości organizacji - przegląd badań. Studia Ekonomiczne. Zeszyty Naukowe Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego w Katowicach, Nr 268, 43-53.
- 5. Botosan, C. (1997). Disclosure level and the cost of equity Capital. The Accounting Review, Vol. 72, No. 3, 323-349.
- 6. de Villiers, C., Rinaldi, L., and Unerman, J. (2014), Integrated Reporting: Insights, Gaps and an Agenda for Future Research, Accounting Auditing and Accountability Journal, 27(7), 1042- 67.
- 7. Dhaliwal, D.S., Li, O.Z., Tsang, A., and Yang, Y.G. (2011). Voluntary nonfinancial disclosure and the cost of equity capital: the initiation of corporate social responsibility reporting. The Accounting Review, 86(1), 59-100.
- 8. Druckman, P. (2014). The stepping stones towards more forward looking corporate reporting. Retrieved from http://integratedreporting.org/news/the-stepping-stones-towards-more-forward-looking-corporate-reporting-2, 10.06.2019.
- 9. FCLT Global. (2015). Straight talk for the long term: How to improve the investor-corporate dialogue. FCLT Initiative, March. Retrieved from https://www.fcltglobal.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/fclt-global-rising-to-the-challenge.pdf?sfvrsn=ed4e258c_0, 10.06.2019.
- 10. Ferreira, D., and Rezende, M. (2007). Corporate strategy and information disclosure. The Rand Journal of Economics, Vol. 38, No. 1, 164-184.
- 11. Fijałkowska, J., & Macuda, M. (2017). Value creation disclosure in CSR reports-evidence from Poland. Zeszyty Teoretyczne Rachunkowości, 93(149), 61-78.
- 12. Fijałkowska, J., Krasodomska, J., Macuda, M., and Mućko, P. (2019). Sprawozdawczość niefinansowa. Regulacja i standaryzacja raportowania niefinansowego przedsiębiorstw. Szczecin: Uniwersytet Szczeciński.
- 13. GRI-CLG. (2016). Forging a path to integrated reporting. Insights From The GRI Corporate Leadership Group On Integrated Reporting. Retrieved from https://www.globalreporting.org/resourcelibrary/GRI-CLG_IntegratedReporting.pdf/, 10.06.2019.
- 14. Gu, F., and Li, J.Q. (2007). The credibility of voluntary disclosure and insider stock transactions. Journal of Accounting Research, 45(4), 771-810.
- 15. International Integrated Reporting Council (IIRC). (2013a). The International Framework: Integrated Reporting. Retrieved from http://www.theiirc.org/wp-content/uploads/ 2013/12/13-12-08-THE-INTERNATIONAL-IR-FRAMEWORK-2-1.pdf, 1.10.2013.
- 16. International Integrated Reporting Council (IIRC). (2013b). The International Integrated Reporting Framework. Retrieved from http://integratedreporting.org/wp-content/uploads/ 2013/12/13-12-08-THE-INTERNATIONAL-IR-FRAMEWORK-2- 1.pdf, 20.06.2014.
- 17. Kolk, A. (2010). Trajectories of sustainability reporting by MNCs. Journal of World Business, Vol. 45, No. 4, 367-374.
- 18. Krzus, M.P., and Advisor, S. (2017). Integrated Reporting for a Long-term Strategy. (March).
- 19. Marx, B., and Mohammadali-Haji, A. (2014). Emerging Trends in Reporting: An Analysis of Integrated Reporting Practices by South African Top 40 Listed Companies. Journal of Economic and Financial Sciences, 7, 231-50.
- 20. Meek, G., Roberts, C., and Gray, S. (1995). Factors influencing voluntary annual report disclosures by US, UK and continental European multinational corporations. Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 26, No. 3, 555-572.
- 21. Morris, R.D., and Tronnes, P.C. (2018). The determinants of voluntary strategy disclosure: an international comparison. Accounting Research Journal, Vol. 31, Iss. 3, 423-441.
- 22. Padia, N., and Yasseen, Y. (2011). An Examination of Strategy Disclosure in the Annual Reports of South African Listed Companies. South African Journal of Business, 42(3), 27-36.
- 23. Porter, M. (1996). What is strategy? Harvard Business Review, November-December 1996, 61-78.
- 24. Porter, M., and Kramer, M.R. (2011). The Big Idea: Creating Shared Value. Harvard Business Review, 89, 2-17.
- 25. PwC. (2012). Integrated Reporting. The Future of Corporate Reporting. (May). PwC.
- 26. PwC. (2014). The Value Creation Journey: A survey of JSE Top-40 companies' Integrated reports. Retrieved from http://www.pwc.co.za/en/assets/pdf/integrated-reporting-survey- 2014.pdf, 7.08.2015.
- 27. Raemaekers, K., Maroun, W., and Padia, N. (2016). Risk disclosures by South African listed companies post-King III. South African Journal of Accounting Research, 30, 41-60.
- 28. Santema, S., Hoekert, M., Van de Rijt, J., and Van Oijen, A. (2005). Strategy disclosure in annual reports across Europe: a study on differences between five countries. European Business Review, Vol. 17, No. 4, 352-366.
- 29. Sieber, T., Weissenberger, B.E., Oberdorster, T., and Beatge, J. (2014). Let's talk strategy: the impact of voluntary strategy disclosure on the cost of equity capital. Business Research, 7(2), 263-312.
- 30. Stent, W., and Dowler, T. (2015). Early Assessments of the Gap Between Integrated Reporting and Current Corporate Reporting. Meditari Accountancy Research, 23(1), 92-117.
- 31. Stubbs, W. and Higgins, C. (2014). Integrated reporting and internal mechanisms of change. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 27, 1068-1089.
- 32. Sukhari, A., and de Villiers, C. (2018). The Influence of Integrated Reporting on Business Model and Strategy Disclosures. Australian Accounting Review, (June), 1-18. DOI:10.1111/auar.12264.
- 33. The LOTOS Group. (2018). Integrated Annual Report of the LOTOS Group for 2017. The LOTOS Group.
- 34. Thompson, A.A., and Strickland, A.J. (2003). Strategic management. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- 35. Van Zijl, W., Wöstmann, C., and Maroun, W. (2017). Strategy disclosures by listed financial services companies: signalling theory, legitimacy theory and South African integrated reporting practices. South African Journal of Business Management, 48(3), 73-85.