Simulation Decision Games and Effectiveness of Their Use for Higher Education Among Working and Non-working Students - Practical View
Purpose: The aim of the article is to assess the role of business simulations in shaping entrepreneurial skills at a university, where simulation games are used as a tool to support the teaching process. Therefore, the article presents the effectiveness of their use in academic conditions in a practical context, based on scientific research. Design/methodology/approach: For the purposes of this article a survey was conducted among students who participated in classes using simulation games. Findings: The introduction of innovative teaching methods at universities seems necessary due to the changing economic needs, and thus the need to acquire new competences in the labour market by employees (university graduates or students working during the course of study). One of the most difficult problems results from the discrepancy between the goals of the educational system and the insufficient preparation of lecturers to work in the present conditions, and the low level of development of their skills. Research limitations/implications: It is advisable to carry out further scientific research in the field of using of simulation games due to the fact that they are increasingly used as a tool to support the process of practical learning. Practical implications: Not without significance for the learning process is also the emotional involvement of participants who acquire knowledge more easily if they are interested in the given issue and understand the benefits resulting from it. Social implications: Nowadays, it is impossible to imagine didactic activities carried out only in a conventional way. Currently implemented didactic processes at universities are often supported by active and modern teaching methods which include, among other things, simulation games. Their main advantage is that they facilitate the transfer of knowledge in an interesting way, teach creative problem solving, arouse interest and allow to gain new experiences, including interpersonal ones. Originality/value: Active learning tools such as collaborative learning and problem-based learning can partly replace the traditional lecture-based method that continues to dominate in higher education. Advocates of active learning show that these innovative teaching strategies are more effective in increasing student motivation, knowledge acquisition, and general academic achievement. (original abstract)
- 1. Cebrián, G., & Junyent, M. (2015). Competencies in education for sustainable development: Exploring the student teachers' views. Sustainability, 7(3), 2768-2786. doi: doi.org/ 10.3390/su7032768.
- 2. Czyżewska, M., Pitura, W., & Szczepaniak, E. (2018). Gry symulacyjne jako metoda rozwijania kompetencji przedsiębiorczych w szkołach średnich na przykładzie branżowych symulacji biznesowych. Przedsiębiorczość-Edukacja, 14, 483-494.
- 3. Fominykh, M.V., Uskova, B.A., Mantulenko, V.V., Kuzmina, O.N., & Shuravina, E.N. (2016). A model for the education of a student of a vocational pedagogical educational institution through the gaming simulation. International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education, 11(8), 2814-2840.
- 4. Hernández-Lara, A.B., Perera-Lluna, A., & Serradell-López, E. (2019). Applying learning analytics to students' interaction in business simulation games. The usefulness of learning analytics to know what students really learn. Computers in Human Behavior, 92, 600-612. doi: 10.1016/j.chb.2018.03.001
- 5. Kalinowski, M. (2016). Dylematy projektowania i stosowania symulacyjnych gier decyzyjnych w rozwoju pracowników. Journal of Management and Finance, 14(1).
- 6. Roig, G.A., & Stoyanova, A. (2018). Applying Active Learning Methods in Higher Education. Revista d'Innovació i Recerca en Educació, 11(2), 65.
- 7. Wawer, M. (2013). Edukacyjne gry symulacyjne w rozwoju kompetencji pracowników. Edukacja-Technika-Informatyka, 4(2), 220-225.
- 8. Wawrzyńczyk-Kulik, M. (2013). Simulation game as a tool supporting the teaching process within the "Basics of entrepreneurship" subject". Zeszyty Naukowe WSEI seria: Ekonomia, 6(1), 303-321.
- 9. https://koss.ceo.org.pl/.