Board Composition and Firms' Profitability: Empirical Evidence From Pharmaceutical Industry in India
The current study aims to assess the effect of board of directors' composition on the profitability of Indian pharmaceutical companies. The analysis is based on 82 companies, analyzed over ten years, from 2008 to 2017. The least squares regression model is used for analysing the data. One accounting-based measure (return on assets, ROA) and one marketing-based measure (Tobin Q) are used as proxies for firms' profitability. Leverage, firms' size and age are used as control variables. The findings reveal that board of directors' composition as measured by the percentage of independent board members negatively and significantly affects firm's profitability measured by ROA. On the other hand, board of directors' composition positively and significantly affects profitability measured by Tobin Q. Furthermore, firms' size and age positively and significantly impact profitability. This topic is largely neglected by researchers of Indian origin at home and abroad. The present study provides an insight for pharmaceutical companies to consider a high level of professionalism of their board members. Greater board independence could bring more expertise, improving profitability. Accordingly, the current research has implications for board members of pharmaceutical companies, especially government-owned ones.(original abstract)
- Abuzayed, B. (2012). Working capital management and firms' performance in emerging markets : The case of Jordan. International Journal of Managerial Finance, 8(2), 155-179. https://doi.org/10.1108/17439131211216620
- Afrifa, G. A. (2016). Net working capital, cash flow and performance of UK SMEs. Review of Accounting and Finance, 15(1). https://doi.org/10.1108/RAF-02-2015-0031
- Afrifa, G. A., & Padachi, K. (2016). Working capital level influence on SME profitability. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 23(1), 44-63.https://doi.org/10.1108/JSBED-01-2014-0014
- Agrawal, A., &Knoeber, C. (1996). Firm performance and mechanisms to control agency problems between managers and shareholders. J. Finance. Quant. Anal, (31), 377-397. https://doi.org/10.2307/2331397
- Alabdullah, T. T. Y., Yahya, S., Nor, M. I., & Majeed, F. Q. (2016). An investigation of corporate governance from a new perspective: Examining the financial performance of companies and the impact of executive turnover. Corporate Board: Role. Duties and Composition, 12(1), 53-69.
- Ameer, R., Ramli, F., & Zakaria, H. (2010). A new perspective on board composition and firm performance in an emerging market. Corporate Governance: The International Journal of Business in Society, 10(5), 647-661. https://doi.org/10.1108/14720701011085607
- Anbar, A., & Alper, D. (2011). Bank specific and macroeconomic determinants of commercial bank profitability: Empirical evidence from Turkey. Business and economics research journal, 2(2), 139-152.
- Aren, S., Kayagil, S. Ö., & Aydemir, S. D. (2014). The Determinants and effects of corporate governance level: Evidence from Istanbul Stock Exchange. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 150, 1061-1070. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.09.118
- Arora, A. (2012). Corporate governance and firm performance in Indian pharmaceutical sector. National Institute of Financial Management, 40(6), 537-550.
- Arora, A., & Sharma, C. (2015). Impact of firm performance on board characteristics: Empirical evidence from India. IIM Kozhikode Society & Management Review, 4(1), 53-70. https://doi.org/10.1177/2277975215595559
- Baltagi, B. H., Bratberg, E., & Holmås, T. H. (2005). A panel data study of physicians' labour supply: the case of Norway. Health Economics, 14(10), 1035-1045. https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.991
- Bassen, A. (2004). The implementation of good corporate governance by institutional investors. International Journal of Disclosure and Governance, 2(3), 244-263. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jdg.2040056
- Beasley, M. S. (2016). An Empirical Analysis of the Relation between the Board of Director Composition and Financial Statement Fraud. Linked references are available on JSTOR for this article , 71(4), 443-465. https://www.jstor.org/stable/248566
- Bebchuk, L. A., and J. A. Fried. (2003). Executive Compensation as an Agency Problem. Journal of Economic Perspectives 17, 71-92.
- Bhagat, S., &Blak, B. (2016). The uncertain relationship between board composition and firm performance. American Bar Association, 54(3), 921-963. https://www.jstor.org/stable/40687871
- Bhagat, S. and Black, B. (2002), The non-correlation between board independence and long-term firm performance, Journal of Corporation Law, Vol. 27, pp. 231-274.
- Brennan, N., & McDermott, M. (2004). Alternative perspectives on independence of directors. Corporate Governance: An Interna- National Review, 12, 325-336. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8683.2004.00373.x
- Brooks, C. (2014). Introductory econometrics for finance. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Burton, P. (2000). Antecedents and consequences of corporate governance structures. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 8(3), 194-203.https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8683.00198
- Byrd, J., and E. Cooperman. (2010). Director Tenure and the Compensation of Bank CEOs. Managerial Finance, 36, 86 102.
- Chan, K. C., & Li, J. (2008). Audit committee and firm value: evidence on outside top executives as expert-independent directors, corporate governance. International Review. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8683.2008.00662.x
- Chatterjee, S. D. (2011). Board composition and performance in Indian firms: A comparative analysis empirical. The International Journal of Management Science and Information Technology (IJMSIT), 1-15. http://hdl.handle.net/10419/97877
- Chauhan, Y., Lakshmi, K. R., &Dey, D. K. (2016). Corporate governance practices, self-dealing, and firm performance: Evidence from India. Journal of Contemporary Accounting & Economics, 12(3), 274-289. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcae.2016.10.002
- Chowdhury, M. A. F. and Rasid, M. E. S. M. (2017). Determinants of performance of Islamic banks in GCC countries: Dynamic GMM approach. Advances in Islamic Finance, Marketing, and Management, 49-80. https://doi.org/10.1108/978-1-78635-899-820161005.
- Conyon, M. J., and L. He. (2012). CEO Compensation and Corporate Governance in China. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 20, 575-592
- Conyon, M. J., and L. He. (2011). Executive Compensation and Corporate Governance in China. Journal of Corporate Finance, 17, 1158-1175
- Core, J. E., R. W. Holthausen, and D. F. Larcker. (1999). Corporate governance, chief executive officer compensation, and firm performance. Journal of Financial Economics, 51, 371-406.
- Deloof, M. (2003). Does working capital management affect profitability of Belgian firms ? Journal of Business Finance and.Accounting, 30(May). https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-5957.00008
- Detthamrong, U., Chancharat, N., &Vithessonthi, C. (2017). Corporate governance, capital structure and firm performance: Evidence from Thailand. Research in International Business and Finance, 42(July), 689-709. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ribaf.2017.07.011
- Elangkumaran, P., &Karthika, T. (2013). An analysis of liquidity, profitability and risk: A study of selected listed food, beverage and tobacco companies in Sri Lanka. 3rd International Conference, South Eastern University of Sri Lanka, (1), 1-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2878916
- Elsayed, K. K. (2007). Does CEO duality really affect corporate performance? Corporate Governance: An International Review, 15(6), 1203-1214. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8683.2007.00641.x
- Erhardt, N. L., Werbel, J. D., &Shrader, C. B. (2003). Board of director diversity and firm financial performance. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 11(2), 102-111. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8683.00011
- Fama, E. F., and M. C. Jensen. (1983). Separation of Ownership and Control, Journal of Law & Economics, 26, 301-325.
- Field, A. (2009). Discovering statistics using SPSS. Sage publications.
- Fuentes, C. D. (2013). Governance for the tourism sector and its measurement. UNWTO Statistics and TSA. Issue Paper Series, 1-34. Retrieved from available: http://statistics.unwto.org/en/content/papers.
- Garcia-Teruel, P. J., & Martınez-Solano, P. (2007). Effects of working capital management on SME profitability. International Journal of Managerial Finance, 3(2), 164-177. https://doi.org/10.1108/17439130710738718
- Geethalakshmi, A., & Jothi, K. (2016). A Study on profitability position of Pharmaceutical Industry in India. International Journal of Advance Research in Computer Science and Management Studies, 4(4).
- Gordon, J.N. (2007), The rise of independent directors in the United States, 1950-2005: of shareholder value and stock market prices. Stanford Law Review, 59(6), 1465-1568.
- Hassan, Y. M., Box, P. O., Ain, A., & Hijazi, R. H. (2016). The influence of corporate governance on corporate performance: evidence from Palestine Kamal Naser. Afro-Asian J. Finance and Accounting, 6(3), 269-287.
- Higgs, D. (2003). Review of the role and effectiveness of non-executive directors. http://www.dti.gov.uk/cld/non_execs_review.
- Hsiao, C. (2003) Analysis of panel data, 2nd ed. Cambridge University Press, New York.
- Ibrahim, H., &AbdulSamad, F. A. (2011). Corporate governance mechanisms and performance of public-listed familyownership in Malaysia. International Journal of Economics and Finance, 3(1), 105-115.
- Jackling, B., & Johl, S. (2009). Board structure and firm performance: evidence from India's top companies. Corp. Gov.: An Int. Rev, (17), 492-509.https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8683.2009.00760.x
- Javid, A. Y., and R. Iqbal. (2008). Ownership Concentration, Corporate Governance and Firm Performance: Evidence from Pakistan. The Pakistan Development Review 47: 643-659.
- Johl, S. K., Kaur, S., & Cooper, B. J. (2015). Board characteristics and firm performance: Evidence from Malaysian public listed firms. Journal of Economics, Business and Management, 3(2), 239-243. https://doi.org/10.7763/JOEBM.2015.V3.187
- Kang, H., Cheng, M., & Gray, S. J. (2007). Corporate governance and board composition: Diversity and independence of Australian Boards. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 15(2), 194-207.https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8683.2007.00554.x
- Kang, S., & Kim, Y. (2011). Does earnings management amplify the association between corporate governance and firm performance ?: Evidence from Korea. International Business & Economics Research Journal, 10(2), 53-67.https://doi.org/10.19030/iber.v10i2.1793
- Karaca, S. S., &Ekşi, İ. H. (2012). The relationship between ownership structure and firm performance: An empirical analysis over İstanbul Stock Exchange(ISE) Listed Companies.International Business Research, 5(1), 172-181.
- Krause, R., Semadeni, M. and Cannella, A.A. (2014), CEO duality: a review and research agenda, Journal of Management, Vol. 40 No. 1, pp. 256-286
- Kyereboah-Coleman, A. (2007) The impact of capital structure on the performance of microfinance institutions, The Journal of Risk Finance, Vol. 8 (1), pp.56-71. https://doi.org/10.1108/15265940710721082
- López-arceiz, F. J., Bellostas-pérezgrueso, A. J., Mariano, J., & Rivera-torres, M. P. (2017). The role of corporate governance and transparency in the generation of financial performance in socially responsible companies. Spanish Journal of Finance and Accounting, 1-37. https://doi.org/10.1080/02102412.2017.1379798
- Mahadeo, J. D., Soobaroyen, T., & Hanuman, V. O. (2012). Board composition and financial performance: Uncovering the effects of diversity in an emerging economy. Journal of Business Ethics, 105(3), 375-388. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-011-0973-z
- Mallin, C. (2001). Corporate governance and the bottom line. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 9(2), 77-78.
- Mashayekhi, B., & Mohammad, S. B. (2008). Corporate governance and firm performance in Iran. Journal of Contemporary Accounting & Economics, 4(2), 156-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1815-5669(10)70033-3
- Masood, O. and Ashraf, M. (2012). Bank-specific and macroeconomic profitability determinants of Islamic banks The case of different countries. Qualitative Research in Financial Markets, vol. 4(2/3), pp. 255-268. https://doi.org/10.1108/17554171211252565.
- Mehta, M. S. P. (2017). Working capital management and firms' profitability : Evidence from emerging Asian countries. South Asian Journal of Business Studies, 6(1 pp).https://doi.org/10.1108/SAJBS-09-2015-0060
- Mohamed, S., Ahmad, K., &Khai, K. (2016). Corporate governance practices and firm performance: Evidence from top 100 public listed companies in Malaysia. Procedia Economics and Finance, 35(October 2015), 287-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(16)00036
- Mueller, D. C. (2006). The Anglo-Saxon approach to corporate governance and its applicability to emerging markets. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 14(4), 207-219.https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8683.2006.00503.x
- Nahar Abdullah, S. (2004). Board composition, CEO duality and performance among Malaysian listed companies. Corporate Governance: The International Journal of Business in Society, 4(4), 47-61. https://doi.org/10.1108/14720700410558871
- Nilsson, G. O. (2007). Corporate governance in Turkey. European Business Organization Law Review (EBOR), 8(02), 195. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1566752907001954
- Pillai, R., & Al-Malkawi, H.-A. N. (2017). On the relationship between corporate governance and firm performance: Evidence from GCC countries. Research in International Business and Finance, (July), 0-1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ribaf.2017.07.110
- Priego, A. M., & Merino, E. (2016). Corporate governance effect on financial distress likelihood : Evidence from Spain. CómoCitar Este Artículo:, 19(1), 111-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rcsar.2015.04.001
- Rabelo, F. M., &Vasconcelos, F. C. (2002). Corporate governance in Brazil. Journal of Business Ethics 37, 321-335.
- Rhoades, D. L., Rechner, P. L., &Sundaram, C. (2017). Board composition and financial performance: A Meta-analysis of the influence of outside directors. Journal of Managerial Issues, 12(1), 76-91.https://www.jstor.org/stable/40604295
- Rizzotti, D., & Greco, A. M. (2013). Determinants of board of statutory auditor and internal control committee diligence: A comparison between audit committee and the corresponding Italian committees. International Journal of Accounting, 48(1), 84-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intacc.2013.01.007
- Samra-Fredericks, D. (2000). Doing 'Boards-in-Action' research- An ethnographic approach for the capture and analysis of directors' and senior managers' interactive routines. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 8(3), 244-257.
- Singh Jaswal, S. (2014). Role of tourism industry in India's development. Journal of Tourism & Hospitality, 04(02), 2-7. https://doi.org/10.4172/2167-0269.1000126
- Switzer, L. N., & Tang, M. (2009). The Impact of corporate governance on the performance of U. S. Small-Cap firms. International Journal of Business Research and Management, 14(4), 341-355
- Talamo, G. (2011). Corporate governance and capital flows. Corporate Governance: The International Journal of Business in Society, 11(3), 228-243. https://doi.org/10.1108/14720701111138661
- Tauringana, V., & Afrifa, G. A. (2013). The relative importance of working capital management and its components to SMEs ' profitability. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 20(3), 453-469. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSBED-12-2011-0029
- Vijayalakshmi, V., & Srividya, M. (2015). A study on working capital management of pharmaceutical industry in India. Journal of Management and Science, 5(3), 59-80.
- Weisbach, M. S. (2007). Optimal Executive Compensation versus Managerial Power: A Review of Lucian Bebchuk and Jesse Fried's Pay without Performance: The Unfufilled Promise of Executive Compensation. Journal of Economic Literature 45: 419-428
- Yameen, M., Farhan, N. H., & Tabash, M. I. (2019). The impact of corporate governance practices on firm's performance : An empirical evidence from Indian tourism sector. Journal of International Studies, 12(1), 208-228. https://doi.org/10.14254/2071-8330.2019/12-1/14
- Yermack, D. (1996). Higher market valuation for firms with a small board of directors. Journal of Financial Economics1, 40(1494), 185-211.https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(95)00844-5
- Zabri, S. M., Ahmad, K., &Wah, K. K. (2016). Corporate governance practices and firm performance : Evidence from top 100 public listed companies in Malaysia. Procedia Economics and Finance, 35(October 2015), 287-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(16)00036-8