Value Streams Mapping in Theimp Lementation of Process Innovations - in The Case of Single-Unit Production
The visual management technique used in process improvement, i.e. value stream mapping (VSM) has been presented in the paper. Value stream mapping is one of the basic management tools in the context of Lean Management or Lean Production. It allows to visualize the flow of decision, information, material and their connections in the full production cycle (from the order, through planning, production, to shipping to the customer). VSM is a lean tool that gives the ability to create flows in the process before implementing changes. In this paper, the possibilities of changes planning based on the current and future status maps have been discussed. On the basis of the current state map (CSM), the areas requiring improvement and operations which efficiency is decisive and for the process have been designated. Particular attention has been paid to the possibilities of using VSM in unit production processes. In the paper has been proposed the two possibilities for company development in terms of the improvement technique in line with the Kaizen philosophy as well as the implementation of process innovations. Which means balanced development through the improvement of the existing process or an acute development strategy through the implementation of process innovations (which involves significant costs). (original abstract)
- Abdulmalek, F.A. and Rajgopal, J. (2007). Analyzing the benefits of lean manufacturing and value stream mapping via simulation: Aprocess sector case study. International Journal of Production Economics, 107 (1), pp. 223-236.
- Alefari, M., Salonitis, K. and Xu, Y. (2017). The Role of Leadership in Implementing Lean Manufacturing. Procedia CIRP, 63, 756-761, DOI: 10.1016/j.procir.2017.03.169.
- AlManei, M., Salonitis, K. and Xu, Y. (2017). Lean Implementation Frameworks: The Challenges for SMEs. Procedia CIRP, 63, pp. 750-755, DOI: 10.1016/j.procir.2017.03.170.
- Alpenberg, J. and Scarbrough, D.P. (2016). Exploring communication practices in lean production. Journal of Business Research, 69 (11), pp. 4959-4963, DOI: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2016.04.059.
- Bialy, W. and Ruzbarsky, J. (2018). Breakdown cause and effect analysis. Case study. Management Systems in Production Engineering, 26 (1), pp. 83-87, DOI: 10.1515/mspe-2018-0013.
- Bitkowska, A. (2017). Knowledge management in production enterprises. Production Engineering Archives, 15, pp. 23-26, DOI: 10.30657/pea.2017.15.06.
- Brad, S., Murar, M. and Brad, E. (2016) Methodology for Lean Design of Disruptive Innovations. Procedia CIRP, 50, pp. 153-159, DOI: 10.1016/j.procir.2016.04.204.
- Cheser, R. (1994). Kaizen is more then continuous improvement. Quality Progress, 27 (4), pp. 23-26.
- Chiarini, A. (2017). An adaptation of the EOQ formula for JIT quasi-pull system production. Production Planning & Control, 28 (2), pp. 123-130.
- Dombrowski, U. and Mielke, T. (2014). Lean Leadership - 15 Rules for a Sustainable Lean Implementation. Procedia CIRP, 17, pp. 565-570, DOI: 10.1016/j.procir.2014.01.146.
- Dombrowski, U., Mielke, T. and Engel, C. (2012) Knowledge Management in Lean Production Systems. Procedia CIRP, 3, pp. 436-441, DOI: 10.1016/j.procir.2012.07.075.
- Hoellthaler, G., Braunreuther, S. and Reinhart, G. (2018). Digital Lean ProductionAn Approach to Identify Potentials for the Migration to a Digitalized Production System in SMEs from a Lean Perspective. Procedia CIRP, 67, pp. 522-527, DOI: 10.1016/j.procir.2017.12.255.
- Kadarova, J. and Demecko, M. (2016). New Approaches in Lean Management. Procedia Economics and Finance, 39, 11-16, DOI: 10.1016/S2212-5671(16)30234-9.
- Kim, S.-C. and Kim, Y.-W. (2014). Computerized integrated project management system for a material pull strategy. Journal of Civil Engineering and Management, 20 (6), pp. 849-863, DOI: 10.3846/13923730.2013.802743.
- Kleszcz, D. (2017). Assessment of application of 5S practices in ceramic industry. Production Engineering Archives, 16, pp. 47-51, DOI: 10.30657/pea.2017.16.10.
- Klimecka-Tatar D. (2017). Process Management and Leveling of Service Quality in a Global Dental Product Management System. Globalization and its Socio-Economic Consequences 2017 (red.) KLIESTIK T. University of Zilina, pp. 961-967.
- Klimecka-Tatar, D. (2017). Value stream mapping as lean production tool to improve the production process organization - case study in packaging manufacturing. Production Engineering Archives, 17, pp. 40-44, DOI: 10.30657/pea.2017.17.09.
- Kumar, S., Dhingra, A.K. and Singh, B. (2018). Process improvement through Lean-Kaizen using value stream map: a case study in India. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 96 (5-8), pp. 2687-2698, DOI: 10.1007/s00170-018-1684-8.
- Lendel, V., Hittmár, Š. and Latka, M. (2015c). Application of Management of Innovation Processes in Enterprises: Management Approach, Problems and Recommendations. Procedia Economics and Finance, 34, pp. 410-416, DOI: 10.1016/S2212-5671(15)01648-2.
- Lendel, V., Hittmár, Š. and Siantová, E. (2015a). Management of Innovation Processes in Company. Procedia Economics and Finance, 23, 861-866, DOI: 10.1016/S2212-5671(15)00382-2.
- Lendel, V., Hittmar, S. and Siantova, E. (2015b). Identification of the Main Levels in the Management of Innovation Processes. Procedia Economics and Finance, 26, pp. 1108-1112, DOI: 10.1016/S2212-5671(15)00937-5.
- Lodgaard, E., Ingvaldsen, J.A., Gamme, I. and Aschehoug, S. (2016). Barriers to Lean Implementation: Perceptions of Top Managers, Middle Managers and Workers. Procedia CIRP, 57, pp. 595-600, DOI: 10.1016/j.procir.2016.11.103.
- Midor, K. and Kucera, M. (2018). Improving the service with the servqual method. Management Systems in Production Engineering, 26 (1), pp. 60-65.
- Nowicka-Skowron, M. and Ulewicz, R. (2016). Problems in the implementation of lean concept in the metal industry companies, METAL 2016: 25th Anniversary International Conference on Metallurgy And Materials, pp. 1962-1967
- Roriz, C., Nunes, E. and Sousa, S. (2017). Application of Lean Production Principles and Tools for Quality Improvement of Production Processes in a Carton Company. Procedia Manufacturing, 11, pp. 1069-1076, DOI: 10.1016/j.promfg.2017.07.218.
- Rosso, C.B. and Saurin, T.A. (2018). The joint use of resilience engineering and lean production for work system design: A study in healthcare. Applied ergonomics, 71, pp. 45-56, DOI: 10.1016/j.apergo.2018.04.004 (eng).
- Sieckmann, F., Ngoc, H.N., Helm, R. and Kohl, H. (2018). Implementation of lean production systems in small and medium-sized pharmaceutical enterprises. Procedia Manufacturing, 21, pp. 814-821, DOI: 10.1016/j.promfg.2018.02.188.
- Womack J.P. and Jones D.T. (1996). Lean thinking: Banish waste and create wealth in your corporation. London: Touchstone books.
- Womack P. J., Jones D. T. and Roosc D. (1990). The machine that changed the world. Toronto: Collier MacMillan Canada Inc