Analysis of The Similarity of Hard Coal Mines in Terms of The Number of Dangerous Incidents Caused by The Activation of Natural Hazards
Hard coal mines and mining enterprises involved in hard coal exploitation in the area of the Upper Silesian Coal Basin (Górnośląskie Zagłębie Węglowe) are characterised by the presence of natural hazards typical of this type of exploitation. These hazards include the risks related to methane, coal dust explosion, endogenous fires, as well as rock burst and caving of roof rocks. The article presents the results of a taxonomic analysis aimed at determining the similarity of hard coal mines and mining enterprises in Poland in terms of the dangerous incidents caused by the risks related to methane, coal dust explosion, endogenous fires, as well as rock burst and caving of roof rocks. The analysis was carried out for the 2008-2018 data and encompassed a total of 26 hard coal mines and mining enterprises located in the Upper Silesian Coal Basin. The analysis was performed using the k-means method of non-hierarchical clustering. The main objective of the article was to determine homogenous groups (clusters) of mines exhibiting the greatest similarity in terms of dangerous incidents caused by the activation of natural hazards in the years 2008-2018. These data can be successfully used for the development of preventive measures and risk analyses for these enterprises. (original abstract)
- Brodny, J. (2010). Determining the working characteristic of a friction joint in a yielding support. Arch. Min. Sci., 55(4), pp. 733-746.
- Brodny, J. (2011). Tests of Friction Joints in Mining Yielding Supports Under Dynamic Load. Arch. Min. Sci., 56(2), pp. 303-318.
- Brodny, J. and Tutak, M. (2016a). Analysis of methane emission into the atmosphere as a result of mining activity. Proceedings of 16th International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference SGEM 2016, DOI: 10.5593/SGEM2016/HB43/S06.012.
- Brodny, J. and Tutak, M. (2016b). Analysis of gases emitted into the atmosphere during an endogenous fire. Proceedings of 16th International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference SGEM 2016, pp. 75-82. DOI: 10.5593/SGEM2016/HB43/S06.011.
- Brodny, J. and Tutak, M. (2016c). The impact of the flow volume flow ventilation to the location of the special hazard spontaneous fire zone in goaf with caving of operating longwalls. 16th Proceedings of International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference SGEM 2016, pp. 897-904. DOI:10.5593/SGEM2016/B12/S03.115.
- Brodny, J., Krystek, J., Alszer, S. and Tutak, M.: (2017). Availability analysis of selected mining machinery. Arch. Control Sci., 27(2), pp. 197-201.
- Brodny, J. and Tutak, M. (2018). Analysis of methane hazard conditions in mine headings. Tehnički vjesnik/Technical Gazette, 25(1), pp. 271-276. DOI:10.17559/TV-20160322194812.
- Brodny, J., Tutak, M. and John, A. (2018). Analysis of Influence of Types of Rocks Forming the Goaf with Caving on the Physical Parameters of Air Stream Flowing Through These Gob and Adjacent Headings. Mechanics, 24, pp. 43-49.
- Brodny, J. and Tutak, M. (2019). Analysis of the diversity in emissions of selected gaseous and particulate pollutants in the European Union countries. Journal of Environmental Management, 231, pp. 582-595.
- Burtan, Z., Stasica, J. and Rak Z. (2017). Wpływ katastrofogennych zagrożeń naturalnych na bezpieczeństwo pracy w górnictwie węgla kamiennego w latach 2000-2016. Zeszyty Naukowe Instytutu Gospodarki Surowcami Mineralnymi i Energią Polskiej Akademii Nauk, 101, pp. 7-18.
- Everitt, B.S., Landau, S., Leese M. and Stahl, D. (2011). Cluster Analysis. Wiley, London.
- Kijewska, A. and Bluszcz, A. (2016). Research of varying levels of greenhouse gas emissions in European countries using the k-means method. Atmos. Pollut. Res., 7(5), pp. 935- 944.
- Korban, Z. (2015). Quality assessment of occupational health and safety management at the level of business units making up the organizational structure of a coal mine: a case study. Int. J. Occup. Saf. Ergon., 21(3), pp. 373-381.
- Mardia, K.V., Kent, J.T. and Bibby, J.M. (1979). Multivariate Analysis. Probability and Mathematical Statistics. Academic Press.
- Tutak, M. and Brodny, J. (2017a): Analysis of Influence of Goaf Sealing from Tailgate On the Me-thane Concentration at the Outlet from the Longwall. IOP Conf. Series: Earth and Environmental Science 95 042025 DOI:10.1088/1755-1315/95/4/042025.
- Tutak, M. and Brodny, J. (2017b): Determination of Particular Endogenous Fires Hazard Zones in Goaf with Caving of Longwall. IOP Conf. Series: Earth and Environmental Science 95 (2017) 042026 DOI:10.1088/1755-1315/95/4/042026.
- Tutak, M. (2017). Assessment of hydrodynamics of gas flow through the porous rock structures. Proceedings of 17th International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference SGEM 201717 Vienna GREEN, 17(15) pp.53-60.DOI: 10.5593/sgem2017H/15/S06.007.
- Tutak, M. and Brodny, J. (2018a). Analysis of the impact of auxiliary ventilation equipment on the distribution and concentration of methane in the tailgate. Energies, 11(11), pp. 1-28. DOI:10.3390/en11113076.
- Tutak, M. and Brodny, J. (2018b). Impact of type of the roof rocks on location and range of endogenous fires particular hazard zone by in goaf with caving. E3S Web Conferences Volume 29. DOI:10.1051/e3sconf/20182900005.
- Wyższy Urząd Górniczy, (2008-2018). Niebezpieczne zdarzenia, Available at: http://www.wug.gov.pl/bhp/zdarzenia [Accessed 1 May 2019].