Changing Work in Changing Contexts: New Perspectives for Job Analysis in Career Counseling
The uncertainty, unpredictability and rapid changes that characterize current times challenge procedures and activities usually carried out by career counseling professionals. There is then the need to give new meanings to dimensions and procedures previously used in the analysis of work activities, introduce dimensions more related to new visions of work and consider suggestions from international organizations. After presenting the most recent theoretical perspectives and principles suggested to career counselors, we will propose a sustainability-guided and context-based approach to Job Analysis and provide an example of its potentials to support career counselors who successfully fulfill their professional tasks.(original abstract)
- Brannick, M. T., & Levine, E. L. (2002). Job analysis: Methods, research, and applications for human resource management in the new millennium. London: Sage Publications.
- Brundtland, G., Khalid, M., Agnelli, S., Al-Athel, S., Chidzero, B., Fadika, L., ... & Singh, M. (1987). Our common future. Report of the world commission on environment and development. Retrived May 15, 2015 from www.un-documents. net/our-common-future.pdf .
- Buller, P. F., & McEvoy, G. M. (2016). A model for implementing a sustainability strategy through HRM practices. Business and Society Review, 121(4), 465-495.
- Crawford, E. R., LePine, J. A., & Rich, B. L. (2010). Linking job demands and resources to employee engagement and burnout: a theoretical extension and meta-analytic test. Journal of Applied Psychology, 95(5), 834-848.
- Cucina, J. M., Vasilopoulos, N. L., & Sehgal, K. (2005). Personality-based job analysis and the self-serving bias. Journal of Business and Psychology, 20(2), 275-290.
- Epstein, M. J., & Buhovac, A. R. (2014). A new day for sustainability. Strategic Finance, 96(1), 25-33.
- Ferrari, L., Sgaramella, T. M. & Soresi, S. (2018). Training for career guidance and counseling academic scientists: Future challenges and directions. In V. Cohen-Scali, J. Rossier, L. Nota (Eds.), New perspectives on career counseling and guidance in Europe (pp. 205-217). Cham: Springer.
- Ferrari, L., Sgaramella, T. M., & Soresi, S. (2015). Bridging disability and work: Contribution and challenges of life design. In L. Nota & J. Rossier (Eds.), Handbook of life design: From practice to theory and from theory to practice (pp. 219-232). Boston, MA, US: Hogrefe Publishing.
- Ferraro, T., Pais, L., & Dos Santos, N. R. (2015). Decent work: An aim for all made by all. International Journal of Social Sciences, IV (3), 30-42.
- Grant, A. M., Fried, Y., Parker, S. K., & Frese, M. (2010). Putting job design in context: Introduction to the special issue. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 31(2-3), 145-157.
- Guichard, J. (2018). Final purposes for life-and-career design interventions in the Anthropocene era. In V. Cohen-Scali, J. Rossier, L. Nota (Eds.), New perspectives on career counseling and guidance in Europe (pp. 189-204). Cham: Springer.
- Ibarra, H., & Barbulescu, R. (2010). Identity as narrative: Prevalence, effectiveness, and consequences of narrative identity work in macro work role transitions. Academy of Management Review, 35(1), 135-154.
- Kuklys, W. (2005). Amartya Sen's capability approach: theoretical insights and empirical applications. Berlin: Springer Verlag.
- Lawler III, E. E., Worley, C. G., & Creelman, D. (2011). Management reset: Organizing for sustainable effectiveness. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Lee, D. J., Grace, B. Y., Sirgy, M. J., Singhapakdi, A., & Lucianetti, L. (2018). The effects of explicit and implicit ethics institutionalization on employee life satisfaction and happiness: The mediating effects of employee experiences in work life and moderating effects of work-family life conflict. Journal of Business Ethics, 147(4), 855-874.
- Luthans, F., Avey, J. B., Avolio, B. J., & Peterson, S. J. (2010). The development and resulting performance impact of positive psychological capital. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 21(1), 41-67.
- McIntire, S. A., Bucklan, M. A., & Scott, D. R. (1995). The Job Analysis Kit. Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources.
- Mohrman, S., Shani, A, B., &, McCracken, A. (2012). Organizing for sustainable health care: The emerging global challenge. In R. Shani. & S. Mohrman (Eds.), Organizing for sustainable effectiveness in health care (pp. 1-39). Bingley: Emerald.
- Morgeson, F. P., & Dierdorff, E. C. (2011). Work analysis: From technique to theory. In S. Zedeck (Ed.), APA handbook of industrial and organizational psychology (v.2, pp. 3-41). Washington, DC: APA.
- Morgeson, F. P., & Humphrey, S. E. (2006). The Work Design Questionnaire (WDQ): developing and validating a comprehensive measure for assessing job design and the nature of work. Journal of Applied Psychology, 91(6), 1321-1339.
- Mourelo, E. L., Kühn, S., Milasi, S., Yoon, S., & Viegelahn, C. (2018). Structural transformation and implications for future job quality. World Employment and Social Outlook (1), 29-42.
- Nota, L., & Rossier, J. (Eds.). (2015). Handbook of life design: From practice to theory and from theory to practice. Boston, MA, US: Hogrefe Publishing.
- Nussbaum, M. C. (2011). Creating capabilities. Harvard: Harvard University Press.
- Oldham, G. R., & Fried, Y. (2016). Job design research and theory: Past, present and future. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 136, 20-35.
- Pignault, A., & Houssemand, C. (2016). Construction and initial validation of the Work Context Inventory. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 92, 1-11.
- Porter, T., & Derry, R. (2012). Sustainability and business in a complex world. Business and Society Review, 117(1), 33-53.
- Robertson, P. J. (2015). Towards a capability approach to careers: Applying Amartya Sen's thinking to career guidance and development. International Journal for Educational and Vocational Guidance, 15(1), 75-88.
- Sandri, O., Holdsworth, S., & Thomas, I. (2018). Vignette question design for the assessment of graduate sustainability learning outcomes. Environmental Education Research, 24(3), 406-426.
- Savickas, M.L., Nota, L., Rossier, J., Dauwalder, J.P., Duarte, M.E., Guichard, J., ... & Van Vianen, A.E. (2009). Life designing: A paradigm for career construction in the 21st century. Journal of Vocational Behaviour, 75(3), 239-250.
- Schaufeli, W. B., Bakker, A. B., & Van Rhenen, W. (2009). How changes in job demands and resources predict burnout, work engagement, and sickness absenteeism. The International Journal of Industrial, Occupational and Organizational Psychology and Behaviour, 30(7), 893-917.
- Sen, A. (2009). The Idea of Justice. Cambridge, Mass: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press.
- Singh, P. (2008). Job analysis for a changing workplace. Human Resource Management Review, 18(2), 87-99.
- Woods, S.A., Hinton, D. P., (2017). What do people really do at work? Job analysis and design. In N. Chimiel, F. Fraccaroli, & M. Sverke (Eds.) An Introduction to Work and Organizational Psychology: An International Perspective (pp. 1-24). Third Edition. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.