India-Poland Relations: Transformation of Cultural Relations to Cultural Diplomacy
The principal aim of this article is to analyse how cultural relations between India and Poland have transformed into cultural diplomacy. For this purpose, the article traces the historical interactions of culture between the two countries that precede their creation as modern-day republics. The article analyses the various stages through which cultural engagement between India and Poland have progressed. The author presents culture as a binding factor as it is paving the way for deeper engagements between the two sides. Cultural diplomacy between India and Poland is opening new avenues of interactions which are refl ected in their political and economic relationship. The article argues that the absence of a strategic partnership puts impetus on cultural diplomacy as it becomes an important foundational block on which a future relationship can be build. (original abstract)
- Arndt, R. T. (2006). The First Resort of Kings: American Cultural Diplomacy in the Twentieth Century. United States: Potomac books.
- Bhura, S. (2017). Warsaw Exhibition Turns Spotlight on Golden Age of Polish-India Relations. Live Mint. Retrieved September 13, 2019 from https://www.livemint.com/ Leisure/BuWiAlKdZc0t1QqWj1dcaM/Warsaw-exhibition-turns-spotlight-on-golden-age-of-PolishIn.html
- Burakowski, A. (2018). Official Twitter Account of Polish Ambassador to India. Twitter. Retrieved September 13, 2019, from https://twitter.com/Adam_Burakowski/status/1072301541569323008
- Calcutta Cricket and Football Club. CCFC. Retrieved August 12, 2019, from https://ccfc1792.com/history.php
- Chaudhury, D.R. (2019). Indian Foreign Minister Visits Poland ahead of Direct Delhi-Warsaw Flight. The Economic Times. Retrieved March 11, 2020, from https:// economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/indian-foreign-minister-visits-poland-ahead-ofdirectdelhiwarsawflight/articleshow/70882976.cms?utm_source=contentofi nterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst
- Chatterjee. M. (2013). Poland's 60 years in India- Spotlight on Soft Power Showcases. Blogspot. Retrieved September 5, 2019, from http://madhu-madhusree.blogspot.in/2013/08/polands-60-years-in-india-spotlight-on.html
- Embassy of India, Warsaw. (2017). India-Poland Relations. Embassy of India, Warsaw. Retrieved August 18, 2019, from https://www.indianembassywarsaw.gov.in/eoi.php?id=Pol_relat
- Embassy of India. (2017). Vice President of India Concludes Productive Visit to Poland. Government of India. Retrieved March 15, 2020, from https://www.indianembassywarsaw.gov.in/alert_detail.php?id=15
- ENS Economic Bureau. (2019). Lot Polish Airlines Launches Direct Flight from Delhi to Warsaw. Indian Express. Retrieved September 14, 2019, from https://indianexpress. com/article/business/aviation/lot-polish-airlines-launches-direct-flight-from-delhi-towarsaw-5993954/
- Góralski, W. (1987). Poland- India: Political, Economic and Cultural Problems. Warsaw: Polish Interpress Agency.
- Harjani, P. (2011). India's tourists flock to Spain. CNN. Retrieved August 12, 2019, from http://travel.cnn.com/mumbai/life/indian-movie-boosts-spanish-tourism-694426/
- Hoffman, A. (2015). Fundacja Kresy Historii Warsaw. Kresy Historii. Retrieved August 12, 2019, from https://kresyhistorii.pl/valivade/?page_id=4384&lang=en
- ISKCON Centres. Worldwide directory of official ISKCON Centres & Branches. ISKCON. Retrieved August 18, 2019, from http://centers.iskcondesiretree.com/poland/
- Inglot Eyes 100 Stores in India by 2020. (2016). Fashion Forward Trends. Retrieved September 12, 2019, from http://www.fashionforwardtrends.com/news/inglot-eyes-100-stores-in-india-by-2020/
- International Bollywood Flash Mob Dance in Katowice 2016. Poland Galeria Katowicka. YouTube. Retrieved August 26, 2019, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYGBsZ2b5Pg
- Iwanek, K. (2015). Kracowood: Bollywood's New-Found Love Affair with Poland. The Diplomat. Retrieved August 26, 2019,from https://thediplomat.com/2015/07/kracowood-bollywoods-new-found-love-aff air-with-poland/
- Iwanek, K. (2019). Revising Warsaw-New Delhi Ties After Indian the Foreign Minister's Visit to Poland. The Diplomat. Retrieved March 11, 2020, from https://thediplomat.com/2019/09/revising-warsaw-new-delhi-ties-aft er-indian-the-foreign-ministers-visit-to-poland/
- Jewish Virtual Library. Gaspar Da Gama. Jewish Virtual Library. Retrieved August 18, 2019, from https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/gaspar-da-gama
- Kępa, M. (2016). The Maharaja Who Saved Hundreds of Polish Orphans. Culture.PL. Retrieved September 10, 2019, from http://culture.pl/en/article/the-maharaja-who-savedhundreds-of-polish-orphans
- Kępa, M. (2012). Stefan Norblin, Culture.PL. Retrieved September 5, 2019, fromhttp://culture.pl/en/artist/stefan-norblin
- Kugiel, P. (2013). 'What does India Th ink about Poland'. Th e Polish Institute of International Affairs. 63, 1-7.
- Kugiel, P; Upadhyay, D.K. India and Central and Eastern Europe: Post-Cold War Engagement. International Studies 54, no. 1-4 (January 2017): 127-43.
- Kugiel, P; Pędziwiatr, K. (2014). The Indian Diaspora and Poland-India Relations. Warsaw: Polski Instytut Spraw Międzynarodowych.
- Kugiel. P. (2019). Indian Perceptions of Poland. In Rajendra K Jain and ed(s). Changing Indian Images of the European Union. United Kingdom: Palgrave Macmillan, 134.
- Kumar, P. (2013). Evaluation of Indo-Polish Relations: A Realistic Approach under Legal Framework of Free Trade Area (FTA).
- Kłodkowski, P .2014. Poland and India: Towards a Strategic Partnership, a Subjective Perspective. In Patryk Kugiel and ed(s). India-Poland Relations in the 21st Century: Vistas for Future Cooperation. New Delhi: Vij Books, 6.
- Kłodkowski, P. (2012). 'Story of the Clashing Images of the Country. The Case of India's Image at Home and in Poland'. Polish Sociological Review. 178, 303-324.
- Mohan, C. R. (2004), India, Poland Deepen Defence Ties. Th e Hindu. Retrieved September 10, 2019, from https://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/india-poland-deepen-defence-ties/article27579032.ece
- Ministry of Culture. (1957). Cultural Agreement with Poland. Government of India. Retrieved September 11, 2019, from http://www.indiaculture.nic.in/sites/default/files/Cultural Agreement/113.pdf
- Ministry of Culture. (2019). Mission Statement. Government of India. Retrieved September 12, 2019, from https://www.indiaculture.nic.in/mission-statement
- Ministry of Foreign Aff airs. (2019). Department of Public and Cultural Diplomacy. Government of Poland. Retrieved September 12, 2019, from https://msz.gov.pl/en/ministry/organisation/organisational_units_/department_of_public_and_cultural_diplomacy
- Ministry of Culture. (2005). Cultural Agreement with Poland. Government of India. Retrieved September 12, 2019, from http://www.indiaculture.nic.in/sites/default/files/cultural_rel/poland.pdf
- Ministry of Human Resource and Development. (2016). Cultural Relations with Foreign Countries. Government of India. Retrieved September 12, 2019, from http://www.teindia.nic.in/mhrd/50yrsedu/12/8i/6U/8I6U0G01.htm
- Ministry of Culture. (2014). Press Information Bureau. Government of India. Retrieved September 12, 2019, from http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=103899
- Ministry of External Affairs. (2019). Joint Statement of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of India and Poland. Government of India. Retrieved March 11, 2020, from https:// www.mea.gov.in/bilateral-documents.htm?dtl/31777/Joint+Statement+of+the+Ministers+of+Foreign+Aff airs+of+India+and+Poland
- Ministry of External Aff airs. (2003). Prime Minister Leszek Miller's Visit to India 15-18 February 2003. Government of India. Retrieved March 11, 2020, from https://www.mea.gov.in/other.htm?dtl/20180/Prime+Minister+Leszek+Millers+visit+to+India+1518+February+
- NRIOL. (2020). Overseas Indian Population. Retrieved March 14, 2020, from https:// www.nriol.com/indiandiaspora/statistics-indians-abroad.asp
- One India. (2010). India, Poland to sign agreement on cultural exchange programme on Tuesday. One India. Retrieved September 12, 2019, fromhttp://www.oneindia.com/2010/09/06/indiapoland-to-sign-agreement-on-cultural-exchangeprogr.html
- Oxford Dictionaries. (2016). Culture: Defi nition of Culture in Oxford Dictionary. Retrieved September 12, 2019, fromhttps://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/culture
- POLIN Museum of the History of the Polish Jews (n.d.) Museum label for Damião de Góis, Chronicle of the Most Happy King Dom Manuel, 16th century. Gallery 2: First Encounters, 965-1500. Warsaw, Poland.
- Polish Institute. About US. Polish Institute. Retrieved September 12, 2019, from http:// polishinstitute.in/about-us/.
- PTI. (2019). 12 Young Footballer to Train In Warsaw under Indo-Polish Exchange Programme. Times of India. Retrieved September 12, 2019, from https://timesofi ndia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/top-stories/12-young-footballers-to-train-in-warsaw-under-indo-polish-exchange-programme/articleshow/71035535.cms PTI
- PTI. (2019). Number of Indian tourists who visited France in 2018 could cross 8 lakh figure: Envoy. Business Standard. Retrieved September 12, 2019 from https://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/number-of-indian-tourists-who-visited-francein-2018-could-cross-8-lakh-figure-envoy-119042501085_1.html
- Poland in India. (2020). India. Republic of Poland. Retrieved March 11, 2020, fromhttps:// www.gov.pl/web/india/bilateral-relations
- Press Information Bureau. (2017). India is a natural destination for markets and business opportunities for Poland: Vice President. Government of India. Retrieved March 15, 2020, from https://pib.gov.in/newsite/printrelease.aspx?relid=161358
- Rivera, T. (2015). Distinguishing Cultural Relations from Cultural Diplomacy: The British Council's Relationship with her Majesty's Government. Los Angeles: Figueroa Press.
- Rizmehdi. (2013). Th e First Bollywood Flash Mob in Poland. YouTube. Retrieved September 12, 2019, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFP0Ko1IXzw
- Stokes, J. (2013). Indian Culture Takes Root in Poland.Krakow Post. Retrieved August 26, 2019,from http://www.krakowpost.com/6859/2013/07/indian-culture-takes-rootin-poland
- Taylor, R. (1988). Cultural Diplomacy-Th e Future. In Agni Vlavianos-Arvanitis. Biopolitics -Th e Bio-Environment. vol. II (presented at the Biopolitics: Th e Bio-Environment - Bios in the Next Millennium. Greece: Biopolitics International Organisation.
- TNN. (2007). Poland Next Hot Spot for Indian Workers in Europe. The Economic Times. Retrieved March 10, 2020, from https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/pravasi-bhartiya/poland-next-hot-spot-for-indian-workers-in-europe/articleshow/2699503.cms?- from=mdr
- T3 New Network. (2019). Polish Visa Services Now Available In New Delhi and Mumbai. Travel Trends Today. Retrieved March 10, 2020, from https://www.traveltrendstoday.in/news/international/item/7969-polish-visa-services-now-available-in-new-delhiand-mumbai
- UNESCO. (2017). Cinema Data Release. Institute for Statistics. UNESCO. Retrieved September 14, 2019, fromhttp://uis.unesco.org/en/news/cinema-data-release
- Winton, J. (2019). LOT Polish Grows: Launches 787 Flights to India. Airwaysmag. Retrieved September 14, 2