Program Evaluation of Career Development Services in Five Turkish Schools: A Preliminary Study
School counselors in Turkey, like in many other countries, are tasked with providing career development services within the broader school curriculum. Yet, both globally as well as in Turkey, the unemployment rate among youth continues to rise. In addition, Turkey is home to thousands of Syrian refugees largely concentrated in four cities, creating another layer of challenge for school counselors as career development providers. Effective programs are essential more than ever before, yet very few rigorous efforts at evaluating such programs are in place. In Turkey there are some recent policies governing both career practices and their evaluation, which represents a promising beginning for evaluating these programs locally and nationally. This preliminary qualitative study aims to provide such an example of program evaluation by measuring six key components as identified by the Career Builders Toolkit, an empirically based tool designed to develop and evaluate career and workforce development programs. Five school counseling programs in the city of Gaziantep, Turkey (which is among the cities with a very high Syrian refugee populations), were purposefully selected. Their program materials were content analyzed and, encoded around the Career Builders Toolkit six key components, were rated as being Sufficient, Existing, or Absent, thus providing information about the growth areas still needed in these school-based career development curricula. Among the largest growth areas identified were trainer curriculum and evaluation. Implications for policy, research, and practice are provided based on a Tripartite Model of Program Evaluation.(original abstract)
- Aile ve Sosyal Politikalar Bakanlığı. (2016). Türkiye'de Geçici Koruma Statüsündeki Suriye Vatandaşlarına Yönelik Sosyal Uyum ve Psikososyal Destek Çalışmaları Koordinasyon ve Planlama Çalıştay Raporu. Retrieved from https://ailetoplum.aile.gov.tr/data/5429366a369dc32358ee2a92/calistay_raporu.pdf
- Akkök, F., & Watts, A. G. (2003). Public policies and career development: A framework for the design of career information, guidance and counseling services in developing and transition countries. Country report on Turkey. World Bank. Retrieved from http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTLL/Resources/Public-Policies-and-Career-Development-Policy/Turkey_report.pdf
- Akkök, F. (2006). Mesleki bilgi, rehberlik ve danışmanlık hizmetleri Türkiye ülke raporu. Ankara, Turkey: İŞKUR Dökümanları.
- American School Counselor Association. (2012). ASCA National Model: A framework for school counseling. Alexandria, VA: Author.
- Baudouin, R., Bezanson, L., Borgen, B., Goyer, L., Hiebert, B., Lalande, V., & Turcotte, M. (2007). Demonstrating value: A draft framework for evaluating the effectiveness of career development interventions. Canadian Journal of Counselling, 41(3), 146-157.
- Bimrose, J., Barnes, S., & Brown, J. (2005). A systematic literature review of research into career-related interventions for higher education. Institute for Employment Research, University of Warwick, Coventry, England.
- European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training. (2009). Professionalising career guidance: Practitioner competences and qualification routes in Europe (Cedefop Panorama Series, 164). Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities. Retrieved from www.cedefop.europa.eu/files/5193_en.pdf
- Conger, D.S., Hiebert, B., & Hong-Farrell, E. (1994). Career and employment counselling in Canada. Ottawa: Canadian Labour Force Development Board. Retrieved from https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED375336.pdf
- Doğan, S. (1998). Counseling in Turkey: Current status and future challenges. Education Policy Analysis Archives, 6, 1-12.
- Hooley, T., Marriott, J., Watts, A. G., & Coiffait, L. (2012). Careers 2020: Options for future careers work in English schools. London, England: Pearson.
- Institute of Educational Sciences (2012). Good practices in the use of ICT in providing guidance and counselling. Retrieved from http://www.jobtribu.eu/pdf/JT_ICT_Goodpractices_web.pdf
- International Labour Organization. (2016). Interventions to improve the labour market outcomes of youth: A systematic review of training, entrepreneurship promotion, employment services and subsidized employment interventions. Retrieved from http://www.ilo.org/employment/Whatwedo/Publications/WCMS_508938/lang--en/index.htm
- Karacan-Ozdemir, N., & Ayaz, A. (2018). School counseling and guidance programs: Examination of career adaptabilities. Hacettepe University Journal of Education. Advance online publication. doi:10.16986/HUJE.2018045437
- Korkut, F. (2007). Counsellors' thoughts and practices regarding career guidance and counselling. Journal of Hacettepe University Education Faculty, 32, 187-197.
- Korkut-Owen, F., & Yerin-Güneri, O. (2013). Counseling in Turkey. In T.H. Hohenshil, N.E. Amundson, & S.E. Niles (Eds.), Counseling around the world: An international handbook (pp. 293-302). Alexandria, VA: ACA.
- Krass, L., & Hugley, K. (1999). The impact of an intervention on career decision-making self-efficacy and career indecision. Professional School Counseling, 2(5), 384-396.
- Lalande, V., Hiebert, B., Magnusson, K., Bezanson, L., & Borgen, B. (2006). Measuring the impact of career services: Current and desired practices. NATCON Papers 2006. Retrieved from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.617.1883&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- Mau, W., & Bikos, L. (2000). Educational and vocational aspirations of minority and female students: A longitudinal study. Journal of Counseling & Development, 78, 186-194.
- Mesleki Yeterlik Kurumu. (2017a). Ulusal meslek standardı, okul psikolojik danışmanı [National Occupational Standards, School Counselor]. T.C. Resmi Gazete, 30227.
- Mesleki Yeterlik Kurumu. (2017b). Ulusal meslek standardı, kariyer psikolojik danışmanı [National Occupational Standards, Career Counselor]. T.C. Resmi Gazete, 30227.
- Ministry of Interior Directorate General of Migration Management. (2017). The report of executive action. Retrieved from http://www.goc.gov.tr/files/files/Goc_%20idaresi_2017_.pdf
- Ministry of National Education. (2017). Rehberlik ve psikolojik danışma hizmetleri plan hazırlama kitapçığı [The booklet for preparing school counseling annual plan]. Retrieved from http://orgm.meb.gov.tr/www/rehberlik-hizmetleri-plan-hazirlama-kitapcigi-guncel/icerik/998
- Nassar, S., Al-Qimlass, A., & Karacan-Ozdemir, N. (2019). A tripartite model of program evaluation: Implications for effective career services and workforce development. International Journal for Educational and Vocational Guidance (published online).
- Nassar, S., Al-Qimlass, A., Karacan-Ozdemir, N., & Tovar, L. (2019). Guidelines for career intervention services in global workforce development: Consensus across policy, research, and practice. Empirical Research in Vocational Education and Training, 11(5). doi:10.1186/s40461-019-0080-4
- Nassar, S., Al-Qimlass, A., Tovar, L., & Karacan Ozdemir, N. (2017). Career builders toolkit: A guide for creating, evaluating, and/or enhancing career counseling and youth support programs in global workforce development. Research Triangle Institute, North Carolina State University. Retrieved from http://gcyerti.com/projects-publications/projects-publications
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. (2003). Career guidance: New ways forward. In Education policy analysis (pp. 39-57). Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/edu/innovation-education/19975192.pdf
- Sandal, E. K., Hançerkıran, M., & Tıraş, M. (2016). Syrian Refugees in Turkey and Their Reflections in Gaziantep Province. Gaziantep University Journal of Social Sciences, 15(2), 461-483.
- Network for Innovation in Career Guidance and Counselling in Europe. (2012). NICE handbook for the academic training of career guidance and counselling professionals (edited by C. Schiersmann, B.-J. Ertelt, J. Katsarov, R. Mulvey, H. Reid, & P. Weber). Heidelberg, Germany: Heidelberg University.
- Schreier, M. (2014). Qualitative content analysis. In U. Flick (Ed.), The Sage handbook of qualitative data analysis (pp. 170-183). Los Angeles, CA: Sage.
- Simons, R., Goddard, R., & Patton, W. (2000). Measuring vocational interests: A call for multi-sample norms. Career Development International, 5(7), 351-359.
- Stockton, R., & Yerin Güneri, O. (2011). Counseling in Turkey: An evolving field. Journal of Counseling & Development, 89, 98-104. doi:10.1002/j.1556-6678.2011.tb00065
- Turkish Statistics Institution (2017). Türkiye İstatistik Kurumu İstatistiklerle Gençlik 2016 Raporu [Youth Report of 2016]. http://www.tuik.gov.tr/PreHaberBultenleri.do?id=24648
- Turkish Statistics Institution (2018). İşgücü İstatistikleri 2017 [Workforce Statistics of 2017]. http://www.tuik.gov.tr/HbGetirHTML.do?id=27699
- UNICEF. (2016). Türkiye'deki Suriyeli Çocuklar [Syrian Children in Turkey]. Retrieved from http://unicef.org.tr/files/bilgimerkezi/doc/T%C3%BCrkiyedeki%20Suriyeli%20%C3%87ocuklar_Bilgi%20Notu%20Subat%202016.pdf
- Whiston, S. C., Tai, L. W., Rahrdja, D., & Eder, K. (2011). School counseling outcome: A meta-analytic examination of interventions. Journal of Counseling & Development, 89(1), 37-55. doi:10.1002/j.1556-6678.2011.tb00059.x
- Yerin-Güneri, O., Büyükgöze-Kavas, A., & Koydemir, S. (2007). Okul psikolojik danışmanlarının profesyonel gelişimi: Acemilikten olgunlaşmaya giden zorlu yol. In D. Owen, F. Korkut-Owen, & R. Özyürek (Eds.), Gelişen psikolojik danışma ve rehberlik: Meslekleşme sürecindeki ilerlemeler (pp. 139-162). Ankara, Turkey: Nobel.
- Yeşilyaprak, B. (2012). The paradigm shift of vocational guidance and career counseling and its ımplications for Turkey: An evaluation from past to future. Educational Sciences: Theory & Practice, 12(1), 97-118.
- Yeşilyaprak, B. (2017). Career counselling services in Turkey: Building on the past and constructing the future. In R. Sultana (Ed.), Career guidance and livelihood planning across the Mediterranean (pp. 267-282). Rotterdam, Netherlands: Sense Publisher.