Determinants of inward FDI in Ukraine: Does political stability matter?
The main goal of this article is to study the determinants of foreign direct investment (FDI) in Ukraine from 2013 to 2017 that includes the years of armed conflict. We adopt the Knowledge-Capital model as our analytical framework and extend it to include the effects that account for political stability and political regime. The research hypotheses obtained from this framework are verified using the Pseudo-Poisson Maximum Likelihood estimation technique and the bilateral panel data on direct investment stocks from 140 partner countries. Our empirical findings show that access to Ukraine's cheap labor force is the primary reason for inward FDI. Moreover, we find no direct relationship between the political events in Ukraine and the investment stock dynamics as the estimated parameters on the indices of democracy, autocracy, polity, and political stability show no statistical significance.(original abstract)
- Akulava, M., Vakhitova, G. (2010), The impact of FDI on firm's performance across sectors: evidence from Ukraine, BEROC Working Paper No. 010.
- Berger, M., Diez, J.R. (2008), Can host innovation systems in late industrializing countries benefit from the presence of transnational corporations? Insights from Thailand's manufacturing industry, European Planning Studies, Vol. 16, No. 8, pp. 1047-1074.
- Busse, M., Hefeker, C. (2007), Political risk, institutions and foreign direct investment, European Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 397-415, doi: 10.1016/j.ejpoleco.2006.02.003.
- Carmignani, F. (2003), Political instability, uncertainty and economics, Journal of Economic Surveys, Vol. 17, No. 1, doi: 10.1111/1467-6419.00187
- Cieślik, A. (2013), Horizontally integrated MNE and plant heterogeneity, Bank i Kredyt, Vol. 44, No. 6, pp. 605-622.
- Cieślik, A. (2015a), North-North FDI, exporting and the first mover advantage, Bank i Kredyt, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 109-128.
- Cieślik, A. (2015b), Imperfect competition, productivity differences and proximity-concentration trade-offs, Ekonomia, Vol. 40, pp. 7-30.
- Cieślik, A. (2016), Exports versus FDI in Smith-Motta framework, Equilibrium. Quarterly Journal of Economics and Economic Policy, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 189-218.
- Cieślik, A. (2018), Leader-follower model of reciprocal FDI and international trade, Argumenta Oeconomica, Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 91-112.
- Cieślik, A. (2019), Determinants of foreign direct investment from EU-15 countries in Poland, Central European Economic Journal, Vol. 6, No. 53, pp. 39-52, doi: 10.2478/ceej-2019-0007
- Cieślik, A. (2020a), Determinants of foreign direct investment from OECD countries in Poland, Eurasian Economic Review, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 9-25, doi: 10.1007/s40822-019-00136-y
- Cieślik, A. (2020b), What attracts multinational enterprises from the new EU member states to Poland? Eurasian Business Review, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 253-269, doi: 10.1007/s40821-019-00122-z
- Cieślik, A. (2020c), MNE activity in Poland: Horizontal, vertical or both? Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, forthcoming, doi: 10.1080/1540496X.2018.1549029
- Cieślik, A., Ryan, M. (2012), Productivity differences and foreign market entry in an oligopolistic industry, Open Economies Review, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 531-557, doi: 10.1007/s11079-011-9204-6
- Davies, R.B., Markusen, J.R. (2020), The structure of multinational firms' international activities, NBER Working Paper, No. 26827.
- Helpman, E. (1984), A simple theory of trade with multinational corporations, Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 92, No. 3, pp. 451-471, doi: 10.1086/261236
- Helpman, E., Krugman, P. (1985), Market structure and foreign trade: Increasing returns, imperfect competition and the international economy, MIT Press, Cambridge.
- Helpman, E., Melitz, M.J., Yeaple, S.R. (2004), Export versus FDI with heterogeneous firms, American Economic Review, Vol. 94, No. 1, pp. 300-316, doi: 10.1257/000282804322970814
- Horstmann, I., Markusen, J.R. (1987), Strategic investments and the development of multinationals, International Economic Review, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 109-121, doi: 10.2307/2526862
- International Monetary Fund (2009), Balance of payments and international investment position manual, International Monetary Fund, Washington, D.C., pp. 100-120.
- Ishaq, M. (1997), Foreign direct investment in Ukraine since independence, CERT Discussion Papers No. 9716.
- Jakubiak, M., Kudina, M. (2008), The motives and impediments to FDI in the CIS. CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0370.
- Kaczmarek, B. (2017), Foreign direct investment of Polish enterprises in Ukraine - its conditions and structure, Management, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 109-123, doi: 10.1515/manment-2017-0008
- Krugman, P. (1983), The 'new theories' of international trade and multinational enterprise, in: Ch.P. Kindleberger, D.B. Audretsch, (Eds), The multinational corporation in the 1980s, MIT Press, Cambridge MA, pp. 57-73.
- Li, C., Murshed, M., Tanna, S. (2017), The impact of civil war on foreign direct investment flows to developing countries, Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 488-507, doi: 10.1080/09638199.2016.1270347
- Li, C., Tanna, S. (2019), The impact of foreign direct investment on productivity: new evidence for developing countries, Economic Modelling, Vol. 80, pp. 453-466, doi: 10.1016/j.econmod.2018.11.028
- Li, Q., Vashchilko, T. (2010), Dyadic military conflict, security alliances, and bilateral FDI flows, Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 41, No. 5, pp. 765-782, doi: 10.1057/jibs.2009.91
- Lutz, S.H., Talavera, O., Sang-Min, P. (2003), The effects of regional and industry-wide FDI spillovers on export of Ukrainian firms, ZEI Working Papers B 18-2003.
- Markusen, J., Venables, A. (1998), Multinational firms and the new trade theory, Journal of International Economics, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 183-203, doi: 10.1016/S0022-1996(97)00052-4
- Markusen, J., Venables, A. (2000), The theory of endowment, intra-industry and multi-national trade, Journal of International Economics, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 209-234, doi: 10.1016/S0022-1996(97)00052-4
- Markusen, J.R. (1984), Multinationals, multi-plant economies and the gains from trade, Journal of International Economics, Vol. 16, No. 3-4, pp. 205-226, doi: 10.1016/S0022-1996(84)80001-X
- Markusen, J.R. (2002), Multinational firms and the theory of international trade, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Markusen, J.R. (2013), Multinational firms, in: D. Bernhofen, R. Falvey, D. Greenaway, U. Kreickemeier, (Eds), Palgrave handbook of international trade, Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, pp. 236-262.
- Olekseyuk, Z. (2015), The EU-Ukraine deep and comprehensive free trade agreement and the importance of FDI. GTAP Resource