The significance of intellectual capital in strategies of transnational corporations
Objective: This study is an attempt to identify crucial assets of intellectual capital (IC) of transnational corporations (TNCs). The author identifies key assets each of the IC layers: organizational, innovative, and institutional. Examining these complex constructions of IC and its comprehensive influence on achieving competitive advantage is justified as the topic has been investigated rarely till now.Methods: The paper presents literature review and the results of an authorial survey (252 corporations). The author used the following methodology concepts: the Grounded Theory Method, the Social Network Analysis, and the Multidimensional Statistical Analysis.Findings: The results of the conducted analysis do sustain the postulated hypothesis that the main pillars constituting the intellectual capital of the most powerful transnational corporations (leaders) are the same in terms of the core irrespective of the type of industry. Based on the conducted research, the author points to the three key requirements for each of three IC layers (organizational, innovative, and institutional).Practical implication: The proposed model of layers of intellectual capital may be used to identify the relationship in question, or its lack of relationship, in other types of international business. Furthermore, the study results provide guidelines for executives of corporations with respect to intellectual capital management. Originality/value: It is a new, original proposal for measurement and presentation of the relationship between international competitiveness of transnational corporations and their intellectual capital efficiency (pillars of IC-layers).(original abstract)
- Abbott, K.W., Hale, T. (2014), Orchestrating global solutions networks: a guide for organizational entrepreneurs, Innovations Technology Governance Globalization, Vol. 9, No. 1-2, pp. 195-212.
- Achtenhagen, L., Melin, L., Naldi, L. (2013), Dynamics of business models. Strategising, critical capabilities and activities for sustained value creation, Long Range Planning, Vol. 46, No. 6, pp. 427-442.
- Amit, R., Han, X. (2017), Value creation through novel resource configurations in a digitally enabled world, Strategic Entrepre-neurship Journal, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 228-242.
- Andelin, M., Karhu, J., Junnila, S. (2015), Creating shared value in a construction project - a case study, Procedia Economics &Finance, Vol. 21, pp. 446-453.
- Atalay, B., Gokten, S., Turkcan, M. (2018), An overview of measuring and reporting intellectual capital, in: H. Dincer, U. Hacioglu, S. Yüksel, (Eds), Global approaches in financial economics, banking, and finance. Contributions to Economics. Springer, Cham, pp. 369-388.
- Axford, B. (2013), Theories of globalization, Polity Press, Cambridge.Bankvall, L., Dubois, A., Lind, F. (2016), Conceptualizing business models in industrial networks, Industrial Marketing Management, Vol. 60, pp. 196-203.
- Barnett, V. (1976), The ordering of multivariate data, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A (General), Vol. 139, No. 3, pp. 318-355.
- Blankenburg, D. (1995), A Network Approach To Foreign Market Entry, in: K. Moller, D. Wilson, (Eds), Business marketing: an interaction and network perspective, Kluwer Academic Publisher, Norwell, pp. 375-405.
- Bonache, J., Brewster, C. (2001), Knowledge transfer and the management of expatriation, Thunderbird International Business Review, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 145-168.
- Borg, I., Groenen, P.J.F., Mair, P. (2013), Applied multidimensional scaling, Springer, Heidelberg, New York, Dordrecht, London.
- Bounfour, A. (2003), The IC-dVAL approach, Journal of Intellectual Capital, Vol. 4, No., 3, pp. 396-412.
- Brandenburger, A.M., Stuart, H.W. (2005), Value-based business strategy, Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 5-24.
- Choong, K.K. (2008), Intellectual capital: definitions, categorization and reporting models, Journal of Intellectual Capital, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 609-638.
- Coviello, N.E., Jones, M.V., McDougall-Covin, P.(2014), Is international entrepreneurship research a viable spin-off from its parent disciplines? in: A. Fayolle, P. Riot, (Eds), Institutionalization of entrepreneurship: hopes and pitfalls for entrepre-neurship research, Routledge, London.
- Dane-Nielsen, H., Nielsen, Ch. (2017), Value creation in business models is based in intellectual capital, in: J. Guthrie, J. Dumay, F. Ricceri, Ch. Nielsen, (Eds), The Routledge companion to intellectual capital, Routledge, London, pp. 418-434.
- De Brún, A., McAuliffe, E. (2018), Social network analysis as a methodological approach to explore health systems: a case study exploring support among senior managers/executives in a hospital network, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, Vol. 15, No. 511, pp. 1-11.
- Dicken, P. (2007), Global shift: mapping the changing contours of the world economy, Sage Publications Ltd, London.
- Dijk, A., Hendriks, P., Romo-Leroux, I. (2016), Knowledge sharing and social capital in globally distributed execution, Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 327-342.
- DiMaggio, P.J., Powell, W.W. (2000), The iron cage revisited institutional isomorphism and collective rationality in organizational fields, in: J. Baum, F. Dobbin, (Eds), Economics meets sociology in strategic management (Advances in strategic management, Vol. 17), Emerald Group Publishing Limited, Bingley, pp. 143-166.
- Dowling, P.J., Festing, M., Engle, A.D. (2013), International human resource management, Cengage Learning EMEA, Andover.
- Fatehi, K., Choi, J. (2019), International business management, Springer, Nature Switzerland.
- Gereffi, G., Humphrey, J., Sturgeon, T. (2005), The governance of global value chains, Review of International Political Economy, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 78-104.
- Glaser, B.G., Strauss, A.L. (1967), The discovery of grounded theory. Strategies for qualitative research, Chicago, retrieved from http://www.sxf.uevora.pt/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Glaser_1967.pdf [12th September 2019].
- Gnanadesika, R. (1997), Methods for statistical data analysis of multivariate observations, John Wiley & Sons, pp. 62-138.
- Gonzalez, R.V.D., Maertins M.F. (2017), Knowledge management process: a theoretical-conceptual research, Gestao & Producao, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 248-265.
- Hagen, B., Denicolai, S., Zuchella, A. (2014), International entrepreneurship at the crossroads between innovation and internationalization, Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 111-114.
- Hoddy, E.T. (2018), Critical realism in empirical research: employing techniques from Grounded theory Methodology, International Journal of Social Research Methodology, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 111-124.
- Hurmelinna-Laukkanen, P., Nätti, S. (2018). Orchestrator types, roles and capabilities - A framework for innovation networks, Industrial Marketing Management, Vol. 74, pp. 65-78.
- Klaila, D., Hall, L. (2000), Using intellectual assets as a success strategy, Journal of Intellectual Capital, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 47-53.
- Klimas, P. (2015), Structural face of competition, cooperation and coopetition inside business networks, Argumenta Oeconomica, Vol. 1, No. 34, pp. 127-155.
- Kostova, K., Roth, T.K. (2003), Social capital in multinational corporations and a micro-macro model of its formation, Academy of Management Review, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 297-317.
- Lefebvre, V.M., Sorenson, D., Henchion, M., Gellynck, X. (2016), Social capital and knowledge sharing performance of learning networks, International Journal of Information Management, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 570-579.
- Leminen, S.K., Nyström, A.-G., Westerlund, M., Kortelainen, J.M. (2016), The effect of network structure on radical innovation in living labs, Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, Vol. 31, No. 6, pp. 743-757.
- Löbbers, J., von Hoffen, M., Becker, J. (2017), Business development in the sharing economy: a business model generation framework, in: 2017 IEEE 19th Conference on Business Informatics (CBI), IEEE, Thessaloniki, pp. 237-246.
- Lou, Y.D. (2005), Toward coopetition within a multinational enterprise: a perspective from foreign subsidiaries, Journal of World Business, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 71-90.
- Massa, L., Tucci, C.L., Afuah, A. (2016), A critical assessment of business model research, Academy of Management Annals, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 73-104.
- Massey, D.S., Arango, J., Hugo, G., Kouaouci, A., Pellegrino, A., Taylor, J.E. (2005), World in motion: understanding international migration at the end of the millennium, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- McCutcheon, G. (2008), EVVICAE, a valuation model for intellectual asset-rich businesses, Measuring Business Excellence, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 79-96.
- McDougall-Covin, P., Jones, M.V., Serapio, M.G. (2014), High-potential concepts, phenomena, and theories for the advancement of entrepreneurship research, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 1-10.
- Mead, R., Andrews, T.G. (2009), International management, Wiley-Blackwell, Hoboken, NJ.
- Mirc, N. (2015), Merging networks - contributions and challenges of social network analysis to study mergers and acquisitions, in: A. Risberg, D. King, O. Meglio, (Eds), Routledge companion on mergers and acquisitions, Routledge, London, pp. 259-271.
- Morschett, D., Schramm-Klein, H., Zentes, J. (2015), Strategic international management, Springer Fachmedien, Wiesbaden.
- Nielsen, B.B., Michailova, S. (2007), Knowledge management systems in multinational corporations: typology and transitional dynamics, Long Range Planning, Vol. 40, pp. 314-340.
- Nyström, A.-G., Mustonen, M. (2017). The dynamic approach to business models, AMS Review, Vol. 7, No. 3-4, pp. 123-137.
- Nyström, A.-G., Ramström, J., Törnroos, J.-Å. (2017), Conceptualizing mechanisms influencing strategizing in business networks, Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, Vol. 32, No. 6, pp. 777-785.
- Pedersen, T., Venzin, M., Devinney, T.M., Tihanyi, L. (2014), Orchestration of the global network organization, Advances in International Management, Vol. 27, pp. 37-41.
- Pike, S., Roos, G. (2018), Intellectual capital as a management tool. Essentials for leaders and managers, Routledge, London.
- Porter, M.E., Kramer M.R. (2011), The big idea: creating shared value, Harvard Business Review, Vol. 89, No. 1-2, pp. 62-77.
- Ralph, N., Birks, M., Chapman, Y. (2015), The methodological dynamism of grounded theory, International Journal of Qualitative Methods, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 1-6.
- Reagans, R., Zuckerman, E.W. (2001), Networks, diversity and productivity: the social capital of corporate R&D teams, Organization Science, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 502-517.
- Reiche, S., Kraimer, M., Harzing, A.-W. (2008), Inpatriates as agents of cross-unit knowledge flows in multinational corporations, retrieved from: http://www.harzing.com/download/inpatsbc.pdf [24th July 2018].
- Ritala, P., Golnam, A., Wegmann, A. (2014), Coopetition-based business models: the case of Amazon.com, Industrial Marketing Management, Vol. 43, pp. 236-249.
- Rosińska-Bukowska, M. (2017), Strategic changes in transnational corporation as an adjustment to the challenges of the 21st Century, Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 143-157.
- Rosińska-Bukowska, M. (2019), Human capital and intellectual capital in modern international business - based on studies of the strategies of transnational corporations, Comparative Economic Research, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 141-158.
- Roudometof, V. (2016), Theorizing glocalization: Three interpretations, European Journal of Social Theory, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 391-408.
- Rusconi, G. (2019), Ethical firm system and stakeholder management theories: a possible convergence, European Management Review, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 147-166.
- Rusly, F.H., Sun, P.Y.T., Corner, J. (2015). Change readiness: creating understanding and capability for the knowledge acquisition process, Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp. 1204-1223.
- Savin-Baden, M., Major, C. (2013), Qualitative research: the essential guide to theory and practice, Routledge, London-New York.
- Sekiguchi, T., Froese, F.J., Iguchi, C. (2016), International human resource management of Japanese multinational corporations: challenges and future directions, Asian Business & Management, Vol. 15, pp. 83-109.
- Shleifer, A. (2005), Understanding regulation, European Financial Management, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 439-451.
- Sirmon, D.G., Hitt, M.A., Ireland, R.D., Gilbert, B.A. (2011), Resource orchestration to create competitive advantage, Journal of Management, Vol. 37, No. 5, pp. 1390-1412.
- Skyrme, D.J. (1999), Knowledge networking. Creating the collaborative enterprise, Butterworth Heinemann, Oxford.
- Sobolewska, O. (2020), Knowledge-oriented business process management as a catalyst to the existence of network organizations, Journal of Entrepreneurship, Management and Innovation, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 107-132.
- Stahle, P., Stahle, S., Aho, S. (2011), Value added intellectual coefficient (VAIC): a critical analysis, Journal of Intellectual Capital, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 531-551.
- Stol, K., Ralph, P., Fitzgerald, B. (2016), Grounded theory research in software engineering: a critical review and guidelines? in: ICSE '16: Proceedings of the 38th International Conference on Software Engineering, 14-22 May, Austin, Texas, pp. 120-131.
- Wall, A., Kirk, R., Martin, G. (2004), Intellectual capital. Measuring the immeasurable? CIMA Publishing Elsevier, Oxford.
- Wassmer, U., Dussauge, P. (2012), Network resource stocks and flows: how do alliance portfolios affect the value of new alliance formations? Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 33, No. 7, pp. 871-883.
- Wilkins, M. (1998), Multinational corporations. An historical account, in: R. Kozul-Wright, R. Rowthorn, (Eds), Transnational corporations and the world economy, Wider-McMillan Press-St. Martin's Press, London-New York, pp. 6-95.
- Wireman, T. (2004), Benchmarking best practices in maintenance management, Industrial Press, New York.
- Yang, S., Keller, F.B., Zheng, L. (2017), Social network analysis: methods and examples, Sage Publications, Los Angeles.
- Yaraghi, N., Ravi, S. (2017), The current and future state of the sharing economy, Brookings IMPACT Series, No. March, pp. 1-27.
- Zott, C., Amit, R., Massa, L. (2011), The business model: Recent developments and future research, Journal of Management, Vol. 37,No. 4, pp. 1019-1042.