Mediation in Economic Disputes
Purpose: The purpose of the article is to present the use of the mediation tool in resolving economic disputes on the example of the Silesian Voivodeship. Design/methodology/approach: The comparative analysis methodology was selected for the purposes of this study. Analysis as a technique for recognizing the types of elements forming a given whole on the basis of their characteristics and assessing the efficiency of the whole functioning against the background of the adopted pattern. The analysis was conducted in two selected regional courts in the Silesian Voivodeship. Findings: Currently, an increasing number of commercial cases pending before the courts can be observed, however, the institution of mediation still plays a negligible role in their resolution. Mediation focuses on the future of the parties, avoids escalation of the problem and is a highly individualized process. An undoubted problem regarding mediation is the lack of trust of both courts and the public in this form of resolving the conflict. Currently, mediation is not sufficiently used, which is why education and promotion are so important in this regard. Originality/value: The presented analysis is important because it indicates the role of mediation and the essence of its popularization in overcoming society's reluctance. To achieve this, it is necessary to promote information on mediation, train judges in effective urging the parties to mediate, and make young people aware of the many benefits of settling everyday problems. (original abstract)
- 1. Article 2 (1), Act of 24 May 1989 on the recognition of commercial cases by courts (Journal of Laws 2016 item 723).
- 2. Directive 2008/52/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 May 2008 on certain aspects of mediation in civil and commercial matters (Official Journal EU L of 24 May 2008).
- 3. Doyle, A.W. (2016). Eurocontrol Agency Mediator & Ethics Officer. Presentation at the Fourth National Corporate Mediation Conference in Amsterdam, the Netherlands on 24 May 2016.
- 4. Folberg, J., Taylor, A. (1984). Mediation. A Comprehensive Guide to Resolving Conflicts Without Litigation. San Francisco, p. 31.
- 5. Gilovich, T., Ross, L. (2016). The Wisest One in the Room, How to Harness Psychology's Most Powerful Insights. London: Oneworld Publications, pp. 138-139.
- 6. Gójska, A., Huryn, V. (2007). Mediation in solving family conflicts. Warszawa: C.H. Beck, p. 41.
- 7. http://dlibra.bg.ajd.czest.pl:8080/Content/1549/Gubernaculum_02_6-9.pdf, 20.06.2018.
- 8. https://encyklopedia.pwn.pl/haslo/sprawiedliwosc-spoleczna;3978499.html, 27.01.2020.
- 9. Kalisz, A., Zienkiewicz, A. (2014). Mediacja sądowa i pozasądowa. Zarys wykładu. Warszawa: Oficyna a Wolters Kluwer business, p. 43.
- 10. Kopaliński, W. (2000). Dictionary of foreign words and phrases with almanac. Warszawa, p. 321.
- 11. Lipsky, D., Seeber, R., Hall, L. (eds.) (2004). An Uncertain Destination: the development of conflict management systems in U.S. corporations. Alternative Dispute Resolution in the Employment Arena-Estreicher & Sherwyn. The Hague, Kluwer Law International.
- 12. Mediation proceedings in the light of statistical data district and district courts in the years 2006-2018 and in the first half of 2019 (2019). Warszawa: the Ministry of Justice, p. 13.
- 13. Moll, T. (2015). Postępowanie mediacyjne na gruncie ustawy - Prawo o postępowaniu przed sądami administracyjnymi. Kwartalnik ADR, Nr 2(30), p. 39.
- 14. Nolan-Haley, J., Kwasi Annor-Ohene, J. (2014). Procedural Justice Beyond Borders: Mediation in Ghana. Harvard Negotiation Law Review Online, p. 5.
- 15. Penc, J. (1997). Business lexicon. Warszawa: Placet, pp. 23-24.
- 16. Peters, D. (2015). Introduction to the principles and theory of mediation. In: S. Pieckowski (ed.), Economic Mediation. Warszawa: Difin, pp. 27-28.
- 17. Pieckowski, S. (2015). Economic mediation. Warszawa: Difin, p. 10.
- 18. Rękas, A. (2011). Mediation in Polish criminal law. Warszawa: Ministry of Justice, p. 4.
- 19. Tabernacka, M. (2018). Negotiations and mediations in the public sphere. Warszawa: Wolters Kluwer, pp. 29-30.
- 20. The Act of 15 September 2000 Code of Commercial Companies, i.e. OJ 2017, item 1577.