Central Java Regional Competitiveness : the Impacts of Production Factor, Corruption, Regulation, and Infrastructure
National and regional competitiveness have become important elements for determining investment and regional resilience. A number of indices have been developed as references to determine a sustainable business target. Studies in this direction have also been carried out using various methods, but the majority of them used secondary data, applied different variables, and were not from the perspective of business actors. This research therefore analyzes the influence of production factors, regulation, corruption perception, and infrastructure on the business environment in Central Java, Indonesia, which is a decentralized country. This study applied competitiveness pillars used by the World Economic Forum (WEF) and offered a quantitative approach by carrying out a survey of 1506 companies across various sectors and sizes. Using analysis of moment structures (AMOS) and also robust covariance analysis method, this research has found that even though the city/regency competitiveness is high, there is no significant effect between production factors, regulation, corruption perception, and infrastructure on business environment in the context of regional competitiveness. This proves that primary and secondary data can provide different results and need to complement each other when assessing regional competitiveness.(original abstract)
- Alberti, F. G., & Giusti, J. D. (2012). Cultural heritage, tourism and regional competitiveness: The Motor Valley cluster. City, Culture and Society, 3(4), 261-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ccs.2012.11.003
- Benzaquen, J., Carpio, L. A. D., Zegarra, L. A., & Valdivia, C. A. (2011). A competitiveness index for the regions of a country. Cepal Review, 2011(102), 67-84. https://doi.org/10.18356/7781698b-en
- BPS (2016). Economic census 2016. Retrieved February 26, 2019, from Sensus Ekonomi 2016 websitehttps://se2016.bps.go.id/umkumb/
- BPS (2020). Development of exports and imports of Central Java Province in December 2019. Semarang: Jawa Tengah
- Bratianu, C., Dima, A. M., Vasilache, S., & Talvescu, D. (2008). The impact of business strategy on regional sustainable development. The Business Review, 11(1), 288-295. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSMA-06-2014-0042
- Bristow, G. (2010). Resilient regions: Replacing regional competitiveness. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, 3(1), 153-167. https://doi.org/10.1093/cjres/rsp030
- Byrd, T. A., Lewis, B. R., & Ford, F. N. (2005). An empirical study of the relationships between IT infrastructure flexibility, mass. Data Base for Advances in Information Systems, 36(3), 26-44
- Charles, V., & Zegarra, L. F. (2014). Measuring regional competitiveness through Data Envelopment Analysis: A Peruvian case. Expert Systems with Applications, 41(11), 5371-5381. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2014.03.003
- Claudia, C. A. (2017). Specialization and spatial concentration of the manufacturing industry in Indonesia in 2007-2013. Jurnal Ilmu Ekonomi, 1(1991), 225-239
- Dima, A. M., Begu, L., Vasilescu, M. D., & Maassen, M. A. (2018). The relationship between the knowledge economy and global competitiveness in the European Union. Sustainability, 10(6), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10061706
- Hafiyyan (2019). Investors consider these five measures to invest in Central Java. bisnis.com. Retrieved from https://semarang.bisnis.com/
- Holis, Y. M., Syabri, I., & Prabatmojo, H. (2018). An examination of regional competitiveness: Early findings from Banten, Indonesia. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 158(1). https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/158/1/012050
- Januškaite, V., & Užiene, L. (2018). Intellectual capital as a factor of sustainable regional competitiveness. Sustainability, 10(12). https://doi.org/10.3390/su10124848
- Ketels, C. (2015). Upgrading regional competitiveness: What role for regional governments? In R. Huggins & P. Thompson (Eds.), Handbook of Region and Competitiveness, (pp. 501-517). Retrieved from https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.4337/9781783475018.00002
- Kis-Katos, K., & Sjahrir, B. S. (2017). The impact of fiscal and political decentralization on local public investment in Indonesia. Journal of Comparative Economics, 45(2), 344-365. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jce.2017.03.003
- Kline, R. B. (2011). Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modelling (3rd ed.). New York: Guilford Press
- Krugman, P. (1994). Competitiveness: A dangerous obsession. Foreign Affairs, 73(2), 28. https://doi.org/10.2307/20045917
- Kurtovic, S., Talovic, S., & Dacic, L. (2015). Global competitiveness indicators as a determinant of brownfield investments in Serbia: Generalized linear model. Research in World Economy, 6(3), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.5430/rwe.v6n3p1
- Kusumantoro. (2012). Disparity and specialization of manufacturing industry in Central Java. JEJAK: Jurnal Ekonomi dan Kebijakan, 2(2), 104-113. https://doi.org/10.15294/jejak.v2i2.1463
- Lall, S. (2001). Competitiveness indices and developing countries: An economic evaluation of the global competitiveness report. World Development, 29(9), 1501-1525. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-750X(01)00051-1
- Liu, D.-Y. Y., & Hsu, H.-F. F. (2009). An international comparison of empirical generalized double diamond model approaches to Taiwan and Korea. Competitiveness Review, 19(3), 160-174. https://doi.org/10.1108/10595420910962043
- McLennan, C. J., Becken, S., & Watt, M. (2015). Learning through a cluster approach: Lessons from the implementation of six Australian tourism business sustainability programs. Journal of Cleaner Production, 111, 348-357. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.01.085
- Nicholson, J., Tsagdis, D., & Brennan, R. (2013). Industrial Marketing Management the structuration of relational space: Implications for firm and regional competitiveness. Industrial Marketing Management, 42(3), 372-381. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2013.02.013
- OECD (2019). Regional competitiveness. Retrieved February 21, 2019, from http://www.oecd.org/cfe/regional-policy/regionalcompetitiveness.htm
- Ozdemir, B. K. (2008). Investigating the influence of country credibility on the chance of currency crisis. International Journal of Business and Finance Research, 2(2), 117-126.
- Porter, M. E. (1980). Competitive strategy: Techniques for analyzing industries and competitors. In Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781912281060.
- Porter, M. E., Delgado, M., Ketels, C., & Stern, S. (2008). Moving to a New Global Competitive Index. In. The global competitiveness Report 2008-2009 (Vol. Geneva: World Economic Forum. 32, (pp. 43-63).
- Portugal-Perez, A., & Wilson, J. S. (2012). Export performance and trade facilitation reform: Hard and soft infrastructure. World Development, 40(7), 1295-1307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2011.12.002.
- Postelnicu, C., & Ban, I. M. (2010). Some empirical approaches of the competitiveness' diamond-the case of Romanian economy. Romanian Economic Journal, 13(36), 53-77.
- Ridwan, Hasanuddin, B., Amri, M., & Madris (2017). The determinants of regional competitiveness. Scientific Research Journal (SCIRJ), 5(12), 48-55. https://doi.org/10.5465/ambpp.2015.13549symposium.
- Rohman, M. A. (2019). The increasing index of Temanggung bureaucracy reform. February 3, 2020, Suara Merdeka Website. Retrieved from https://www.suaramerdeka.com.
- Samosir, O. B., & Rajagukguk, W. (2017). Regional Competitiveness and National Economic Growth. Economic Reforms for Global Competitiveness, (January), 306-328. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-3856-1.ch016.
- Schwab, K. (2018). Insight report the global competitiveness report 2018. Retrieved from http://www3.weforum.org.
- Schwab, K. (2019). Insight Report. World Economic Forum.
- Smit, A. J. (2010). The competitive advantage of nations: Is Porter's Diamond Framework a new theory that explains the international competitiveness of countries? Southern African Business Review, 14(1), 105-130. https://doi.org/10.1088/0953-8984/22/19/194103.
- Tabachnick, B. G., & Fidell, L. S. (1996). Using multivariate statistics. In Harper Collins. https://doi.org/10.1037/022267.
- Tradingeconomics (2020). Indonesia Corruption Index.
- Trinh, Q. D. (2018). Understanding the impact and challenges of secondary data analysis. Urologic Oncology: Seminars and original investigations, 36(4), 163-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urolonc.2017.11.003.
- Utari, I. S., & Arifin, R. (2019). Law enforcement and Legal reform in Indonesia and global context: How the law responds to community development? Journal of Law & Legal Reform, 1(1), 1-4.
- World Economic Forum (2013). The global competitiveness index-what is measured. Retrieved from http://www.economy.ge/uploads/ek_ciprebshi/reitingebi/reitingebi_eng/gci.pdf
- World Economic Forum (2018). The global competitiveness report 2018. Retrieved from https://doi.org/92-95044-35-5. In. World Economic Forum, 5.
- Xia, R., Liang, T., Zhang, Y., & Wu, S. (2012). Is global competitive index a good standard to measure economic growth? A suggestion for improvement. International Journal of Services and Standards, 8(1), 45-57. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJSS.2012.048438.