Basic Income: Economy and Psychology
Basic income is a social idea appealing to humanist philosophers and politicians. Numerous experiments on the introduc-tion of the concept of basic income occurred in countries with varying degrees of economic development. Surveys are being conducted around the world on the need to introduce basic income. Dynamics of economic processes and social sentiment in individual countries require generalisation of modern factors influencing the possibility of practical implementation of the concept of basic income. This paper studies the economic and psychological factors for supporting the idea of basic income in terms of its practical implementation, analyses the interpretation of the UBI idea by various researchers and provides a characteristic of the modern vision of basic income. The arguments for and against the practical implementation of this idea with their structuring in the following directions are formed and considered: influence on the economy, change of social relations and possibility of practical realisation. The authors present generalised results of the experiments on the introduction of basic income from the 1960s to the present day in South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, as well as the results of the poll and referendum on the introduction of basic income in Switzerland in 2016.(original abstract)
- Bardhan P. (2013). How unequal a country is India? Retrieved from https://www.business-standard.com/article/opinion/pranab-bardhan-how-unequal-a-country-is-india-109090500021_1.html.
- Basic IncomeEarth Network (2020). Retrieved from http://basicincome.org.
- Basic income experiment. (2020). Retrieved from https://www.kela.fi/web/en/basic-income-experiment.
- Bendix A. (2019). A 29-year-old mayor gave his city's poorest residents $500 a month. Here's how they spent the mon-ey. Retrieved from https://www.businessinsider.com/stockton-basic-income-trial-results-success-2019-10.
- BIG Coalition. Pilot Project. (2020). Retrieved from http://www.bignam.org/BIG_pilot.html.
- Condorcet. (1988). Esquisse d\'un tableau historique des progres de l'esprit humain. (1st edition, 1795), Paris: GF-Flammarion, p. 273-274.
- Dluhopolskyj O., Dluhopolska T. (2017) Koncepciya bezumovnogo bazovogo doxodu yak alternatyva bismarkivskij modeli derzhavy dobrobutu: vid teoretychnyx studij do eksperymentalnyx praktyk. [The concept of uncon-ditional basic income as an alternative to the Bismarck model of the welfare state: from theoretical studies to experimental practices]. Ekonomika: realiyi chasu, 2 (30); 32-46.
- Europe: 64% of People in Favour of Basic Income, Poll Finds. (2020). Retrieved from http://basicincome.org/news/2016/05/europe-eu-poll-basic-income-support/.
- Ferdman R.A. (2015). The remarkable thing that happens to poor kids when you give their parents a little money. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/10/08/the-remarkable-ways-a-lit-tle-money-can-change-a-childs-personality-for-life/.
- Fourier Ch. (1967). La Fausse industrie (1836), Paris: Anthropos, p. 491-492.
- Jobs lost, jobs gained: What the future of work will mean for jobs, skills, and wages. (2020). Retrieved from https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-insights/future-of-work/jobs-lost-jobs-gained-what-the-future-of-work-will-mean-for-jobs-skills-and-wages.
- Mackay J. (2016). A city in Italy is giving its poorest residents $537 a month to survive. Retrieved from https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3j5yg/a-city-in-italy-is-giving-its-poorest-residents-537-a-month-to-survive.
- Madhya P. (2020). Unconditional Cash Transfer Project Executive Summary. Retrieved from http://unicef.in/Up-loads/Publications/Resources/pub_doc83.pdf.
- More T. (1963) Utopia. (1st Latin edition, Louvain, 1516), English translation by Paul Turner, Harmondsworth: Penguin Classics, 1963, p. 43-44.
- Ontario's new Conservative government to end basic income experiment. (2018). Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/01/ontarios-new-conservative-government-to-end-basic-income-experi-ment.
- Phillips L. (2015) Who Wants a Universal Basic Income? Retrieved from https://briarpatchmagazine.com/articles/view/who-wants-a-universal-basic-income.
- Revenu de base: pourquoi 13 départements veulent l'expérimenter. (2020). Retrieved from https://www.pub-licsenat.fr/article/societe/revenu-de-base-pourquoi-13-departements-veulent-l-experimenter-86803.
- Roberts R. (2017). Scotland set to pilot universal basic income scheme in Fife and Glasgow. Retrieved from https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/scotland-pilot-universal-basic-income-ubi-snp-fife-and-glasgow-scheme-a7505411.html.
- Russell B. (1918). Roads to Freedom. Socialism, Anarchism and Syndicalism, London: Unwin Books, pp. 80-81 and 127.
- Santens S. (2017). Why we should all have a basic income. Retrieved from https://www.weforum.org/agen-da/2017/01/why-we-should-all-have-a-basic-income/.
- Uganda: Two-year basic income pilot set to launch in 2017 (2016). Retrieved from https://basicincome.org/news/2016/11/uganda-two-year-basic-income-pilot-set-to-launch-in-2017/.
- Vives J.L. (1998). De Subventione Pauperum, Sive de humanis necessitatibus. English translation of part II only by Alice Tobriner: On the Assistance to the Poor. Toronto & London: University of Toronto Press ("Renaissance Society of America Reprints"), 62 p.
- What works: studying the effects of fewer rules in social assistance. (2020). Retrieved from https://www.utrecht.nl/city-of-utrecht/study-on-rules-in-social-assistance/.
- Zuckerberg M. (2017) Commencement address at Harvard. Retrieved from https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto-ry/2017/05/mark-zuckerbergs-speech-as-written-for-harvards-class-of-2017/.