From Innovation to Market: Integrating University and Industry Perspectives towards Commercialising Research Output
In creating an innovative nation, Malaysia has taken various steps towards promoting the national agenda to commercialise their research output at university and research centres. Universities should aggressively identify research by creating products which have commercial value. Many initiatives have been undertaken for effective collaboration between both parties to materialise; nevertheless, the subject is likely to be treated as less significant. Thus, this paper aims to discuss strategies for effective collaboration between universities and industry for the successful commercialisation of research output. For this purpose, qualitative methods in the form of interviewing eight people - academic researchers and those involved in industry - were conducted. Both parties were selected because they have experience in dealing with commercialisation activities at university level. A thematic approach analysis was used to analyse the interview data, and three themes emerged from the data. The findings suggested that the effective strategies for collaboration between universities and industry are related to the commercial value of research products, intellectual property rights aspects and commitment from both universities and industry. However, barriers that hamper collaboration between the two parties must be removed to ensure effective collaboration between universities and industry in promoting commercialisation activities. (original abstract)
- Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka, Malaysia
- Częstochowa University of Technology, Poland; University of Johannesburg, South Africa
- Universiti Utara Malaysia, Malaysia
- Lambung Mangkurat University Banjarmasin, Indonesia
- Abdul Razak, A., Murray, P. A. (2017), Innovation strategies for successful commercialisation in public universities, International Journal of Innovation Science, 9(3), 296-314. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJIS-05-2017-0035
- Ab Rahman, Z.N., Ismail, N., Rajiani, I. (2018), Challenges for managing nontechnological innovation: a case from Malaysian public sector, Polish Journal of Management Studies, 17(1), 7-16. https://doi.org/10.17512/pjms.2018.17.1.01
- Abd Aziz, K., Harris, H., Norhashim, H. (2011), University research, development & commercialisation management: A Malaysian best practice case study, World Review of Business Research, 1(2), 179-192.
- Agrawal, A., Henderson, R. (2002), Putting patents in context: Exploring knowledge transfer from MIT, Management Science, 48(1), 44-60. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.184.108.40.20679
- Ankrah, S., Al-Tabbaa, O. (2015), University-industry collaboration: A systematic review, SSRN Electronic Journal, 31, 387-408. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2015.11.027
- Audretsch, D.B. (2014), From the entrepreneurial university to the university for the entrepreneurial society, The Journal of Technology Transfer, 39(3), 313-321. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10961-012-9288-1
- Awasthy, Q., Flint, S., Sankarnarayana, R. (2020), A framework to improve university-industry collaboration, Journal of Industry - University Collaboration, 2(1), 49-62. https://doi.org/10.1108/JIUC-09-2019-0016
- Aziati, A., Hazana, A., Ping, T. (2014), Knowledge transfer of university-industry partnership in Malaysian Technical University, Proceedings from the International Symposium on Technology Management and Emerging Technology (ISTMET), 27-29 May 2014, Bandung, West Java, Indonesia, retrieved from: http://eprints.uthm.edu.my/id/eprint/5605/1/Knowledge_Transfer_of_University Industry.pdf (accessed 5 November 2020).
- Barnes, T., Pashby, I., Gibbons, A. (2002), Effective university - industry interaction: a multi-case evaluation of collaborative R&D projects, European Management Journal, 20(3), 272-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-2373(02)00044-0
- Boardman, P.C., Ponomariov, B.L., (2009), University researchers working with private companies, Technovation, 29, 142-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2008.03.008
- Bodas Freitas, I., Marques, R., Silva, E. (2013), University-industry collaboration and innovation in emergent and mature industries in new industrialised countries, Research Policy, 42(2), 443-453. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2012.06.006
- Bourgeoise, F.T., Murthy, S., Mandl, K. D. (2020), Outcome reporting among drug trials registered in clinical trials, Annals of Internal Medicine, 153(3), 158-166. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-153-3-201008030-00006
- Cheng, H., Zhang, Z., Huang, Q., and Liao, Z., (2020), The effect of university-industry collaboration policy on universities' knowledge innovation and achievements transformation: Based on innovation chain, The Journal of Technology Transfer, 45, 522-543. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10961-018-9653-9
- Christie, A.F., D'Aloiso, S., Gaita, K., Howlett, M., Webster, E.M. (2003), Analysis of the legal framework for patent ownership in publicly funded research institutions, Canberra: Commonwealth Department of Education, Science and Training.
- Čiuladienë, G., Walancik, M. (2020), Being ready to lecture a multicultural class: Asian preferences for conflict management style, Cultural Management: Science and Education, 4(1), 105-118. DOI:10.30819/cmse.4-1.06
- D'Este, P., Perkmann, M. (2010), Why do academics engage with industry? The entrepreneurial university and individual motivations, The Journal of Technology Transfer, 36(3), 316-339. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10961-010-9153-z
- Diane, A.I., (2004), S&T commercialisation of federal research laboratories and university research, Carleton University Eric Sport, School of Business, Canada.
- Dietz, J.S., Boseman, B. (2005), Academic careers, patents and productivity: Industry experience as scientific and technical human capital, Research Policy, 34, 349-367. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2005.01.008
- Domańska, A. (2018), cooperation between knowledge-based institutions and business: Empirical studies and network theories, Forum Scientiae Oeconomia, 6(4), 81-94. https://doi.org/10.23762/FSO_VOL6_NO4_6
- Draghici, A., Baban, C.F., Ivascu, L.V., Sarca, I. (2015), Key success factors for university - industry collaboration, Proceedings from 8th International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, 16-18 November, Seville, Spain.
- Ehrismann D., Patel, D.D. (2015), University-industry collaborations: Models, drivers and cultures, Swiss Medical Weekly, 145, 1-6. https://doi.org/10.4414/smw.2015.14086
- Fernandes, G., Pinto, E., Machado, R. J., Araujo, M., Pontes, A. (2015), A program and project management approach for collaborative university-industry R&D funded contracts, Procedia Computer Science, 64, 1065-1074. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2015.08.522
- Fischer, B.B., Schaeffer, P.R., Vonortas, N.S. (2019), Evolution of university-industry collaboration in Brazil from a technology upgrading perspective, Technology Forecasting and Social Change, 145, 330-340. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2015.08.522
- Frolund, L., Riedel, M. (Eds.) (2018), Strategic industry-university collaborations: Success-factors from innovative companies, London: Academic Press.
- Garousi, V., Petersen, K., Ozkan, B. (2016), Challenges and best practices in industry-academia collaborations in software engineering: A systematic literature review, Information and Software Technology, 79, 106-127. DOI: 10.1016/j.infsof.2016.07.006
- Gertler, M.S. (2010), Rules of game: The place of institutions in regional economic change, Regional Studies, 44(1), 1-15. DOI: 10.1080/00343400903389979
- Giones, F. (2019), University-industry collaboration: An industry perspective, Management Decision, 57(12), 3258-3279. https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-11-2018-1182
- Glover, L., Keiller, T. S. (2013), Intellectual property issues in college-industry partnerships, Proceedings from 120th American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, 23-26 June 2013, Atlanta, USA.
- Gorączkowska, J. (2018), Influence of business support organizations on innovation activity in manufacturing companies in the Masovian Voivodeship in Poland, Equilibrium. Quarterly Journal of Economics and Economic Policy, 13(4), 741-759. https://doi.org/10.24136/eq.2018.036
- Gulbrandsen, M., Slipersćter, S. (2007), The third mission and the entrepreneurial university model, in: A. Bonaccorsi, C. Daraio (Eds.), universities and strategic knowledge creation. Specialization and performance in Europe (pp. 112-143). https://doi.org/10.4337/9781847206848.00011
- Holliday, A. (2007), Doing and writing qualitative research, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Howitt, P. (2013), From curiosity to wealth creation: How university research can boost economic growth, CD Howe Institute Commentary, 383. http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2303886
- Ismail, N., Mohamed, K. (2016), Commercialising of innovative research product in the Malaysian public university: Challenges and ways for improvement, Research Journal of Business Management, 10(1), 1-14. http://doi.org/10.3923/rjbm.2016.1.14
- Karlsson, M. (2004), Commercialization of research results in the United States: An overview of Federal and academic technology transfer, ITPS, Swedish Institute for Growth Policy Studies.
- Khademi, T., Ismail, K., (2013), Commercialisation success factors of university research output, Saints Humanlike, (64)3, 137-141. DOI: 10.11113/jt.v64.2284
- Khan, M.A., Máté, D., Abdulahi, M., Sadaf, R., Khan, M.A., Popp, J., Oláh, J. (2019), Do institutional quality, innovation and technologies promote financial market development, European Journal of International Management, 14(2). https://doi.org/10.1504/EJIM.2020.10025994
- Kobylińska, U., Lavios, J.J. (2020), Development of research on the university entrepreneurship ecosystem: Trends and areas of interest of researchers based on a systematic review of literature, Oeconomia Copernicana, 11(1), 117-133. https://doi.org/10.24136/oc.2020.005.
- Kotha, R., George, G., Srikanth, K. (2013), Bridging the mutual knowledge gap: Coordination and the commercialisation of university science, Academy of Management Journal, 56(2), 498-524. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2010.0948
- King, N., Horrocks, C. (2010), Interviews in qualitative research, London: Sage.
- Lewandowska, A., Stopa, M. (2018), SMEs innovativeness and institutional support system: the local experiences in qualitative perspective. Polish case study, Oeconomia Copernicana, 9(2), 333-351. https://doi.org/10.24136/oc.2018.017.
- Lewandowska, A., Stopa, M. (2019), Do SME?s innovation strategies influence their effectiveness of innovation? Some evidence from the case of Podkarpackie as peripheral region in Poland, Equilibrium. Quarterly Journal of Economics and Economic Policy, 14(3), 521-536. https://doi.org/10.24136/eq.2019.025.
- Li, F., Chen, J., Su, Y. S. (2018), Managing the university-industry collaborative innovation in China, Journal of Organizational Change Management, 31(1), 62-82. https://doi.org/10.1108/JOCM-04-2017-0148
- Lind, F., Styhre, A., Aaboen, L. (2013), Exploring university-industry collaboration in research centres. European Journal of Innovation Management, 16(1), 70-91. https://doi.org/10.1108/14601061311292869
- Liefner, I., Si, Y.F., Schäfer, K. (2019), A latecomer firm's R&D collaboration with advanced country universities and research institutes: The case of Huawei in Germany, Technovation, 86, 3-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2019.03.002
- Maietta, O.W. (2015), Determinants of university-firm R&D collaboration and its impact on innovation: A perspective from a low-tech industry, Research Policy, 44(7), 1341-1359. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2015.03.006
- Markman, G.D., Siegel, D.S., Wright, M. (2008), Research and technology commercialisation. Journal of Management Studies, 45(8), 1401-1423. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2008.00803.x
- Máté, D., Oláh, J., Lakner, Z., Popp, J. (2017), Food chemistry patents influence on productivity: A case study of a sectoral approach in various OECD countries, Polish Journal of Management Studies, 16(2), 160-170. https://doi.org/10.17512/pjms.2017.16.2.14
- Miller, D.J., Acs, Z. J. (2013), Technology commercialisation on campus: twentieth century frameworks and twenty-first century blind spots, The Annals of Regional Science, 50(2), 407-423. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00168-012-0511-7
- Nam, G.M., Kim, D.G., Choi, S.O. (2019), How resources of universities influence industry cooperation, Journal of Open Innovation, Technology, Market and Complexity, 5(1), 9. https://doi.org/10.3390/joitmc5010009
- Nicolaou, N., Birley, S. (2003), Academic networks in a trichotomous categorisation of university spinouts, Journal of Business Venturing, 18, 333-359. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(02)00118-0
- OECD, (2019), University-industry collaboration: New evidence and policy options, Paris, OECD Publishing, retrieved from: https://read.oecd-ilibrary.org/scienceand-technology/university-industry-collaboration_e9c1e648-en