The Positive Role of the Tourism Industry for Dubai City in the United Arab Emirates
Several types of research have been conducted regarding the tourism industry in Dubai. However, they have not managed to indicate the roles that the tourism industry plays in Dubai. The purpose of the current study is to examine the roles of tourism in Dubai and the growth of tourism, as well as to uncover relevant information that supports the development of the tourism industry in Dubai. The current paper discusses the infrastructure, strategies, and culture, which enhance the growth of the tourism industry in Dubai. The development of the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in Dubai and in the world, is indicative of the touristic aspirations of the city. The study also factors in the top tourist destinations, the top ten countries visiting Dubai, as well as the busiest airports in the world (data from travel companies). In the literature review, the authors discuss some of the developments brought by the tourism industry in Dubai, including cultural and infrastructure development, such as roads and airports. The paper indicates the natural features available in Dubai that makes the Dubai tourism industry flourish. The findings indicate that cultural and religious diversity , hospitality and infrastructure enhance the growth of Dubai's tourism industry. Other notable mentions, such as the Expo 2020 Dubai and the Sheik Muhammed Vision 2020 awards are also discussed. The current study highlights the developments the tourism industry has brought to Dubai and the strategies to improve the sector. The paper can also be implemented to further the research on the tourism industry in other countries. (original abstract)
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Malaysia
- University of South Florida, United States
- University Of Science and Technology, United Arab Emirates
- University Of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Lithuanian Institute of Agrarian Economics, Vilnius, Lithuania
- Al Sarrah, M., Ajmal, M. M., & Mertzanis, C. (2020). Identification of sustainability indicators in the civil aviation sector in Dubai: a stakeholders' perspective. Social Responsibility Journal. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/ 10.1108/SRJ-06-2019-0203
- Alsuwaidi, M. S. (2020). The employability of Qatari citizens in the hospitality sector: Current challenges and future prospects. [Master's thesis, Qatar University]. Qatar University QSpace. https://qspace.qu.edu.qa/handle/10576/12647
- Barbour, V., Burch, D., Godlee, F., Heneghan, C., Lehman, R., Perera, R., Schroter, S. (2016). Characterisation of trials where marketing purposes have been influential in study design: A descriptive study. Trials, 17(1), 31. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-015-1107-1
- Ben-Romdhane, H., Jabado, R. W., Grandcourt, E. M., Perry, R. J. O., Al Blooshi, A. Y., Marpu, P. R., ... Ghedira, H. (2020). Coral reefs of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates: Analysis of management approaches in light of international best practices and a changing climate. Frontiers in Marine Science, 7, 541. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2020.00541
- Benton, N. (2019, March/April). Dubai's' game changer'. Australasian Leisure Management, 133, 30-32.
- De Jong, M., Hoppe, T., & Noori, N. (2019). City branding, sustainable urban development and the rentier state. How do Qatar, Abu Dhabi and Dubai present themselves in the age of post oil and global warming? Energies, 12(9), 1657. https://doi.org/10.3390/en12091657
- Çapar, H., & Aslan, Ö. (2020). Factors affecting destination choice in medical tourism. International Journal of Travel Medicine and Global Health, 8(2), 80-88. 10.34172/IJTMGH.2020.13
- Diamandis, P. H., & Kotler, S. (2020). The future is faster than you think: How converging technologies are transforming business, industries, and our lives. Simon & Schuster.
- Du, D., Lew, A. A., & Ng, P. T. (2016). Tourism and economic growth. Journal of Travel Research, 55(4), 454-464. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287514563167
- Duah P. A. (2019). The increasing threat of terrorism to west and central Africa: the case of Boko Haram insurgency in Nigeria. [Master's thesis, University of Ghana]. http://ugspace.ug.edu.gh/bitstream/handle/123456789/33457/The Increasing Threat of Terrorism to West and Central Africa- The Case of Boko Haram Insurgency in Nigeria.pdf?sequence=1
- Elgaali, E., Ziadat, A. H., & Alzyoud, S. (2019, March 26 - April 11). Environmental effects of new developments in the coastal zones of Dubai. [Conference presentation]. 2019 Advances in Science and Engineering Technology International Conferences (ASET), Dubai, UAE.
- F. Hair Jr, J., Sarstedt, M., Hopkins, L., & G. Kuppelwieser, V. (2014). Partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM) An emerging tool in business research. European Business Review, 26(2), 106-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfbs.2014.01.002
- Glancy, B. (2020). A platform for change: How identifying and aligning technology building blocks provides a digital platform of change in the construction industry [Master's thesis, OCAD University]. OCAD University Open Research Repository. http://openresearch.ocadu.ca/id/eprint/2845/
- Gomba, C. A., Hyland, L., & Paris, C. M. (2018). Tourist perceptions of Dubai and Expo2020. E-review of Tourism Research, 15(4/5), 385-403. https://web.a.ebscohost.com/ehost/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?vid=1&sid=33a1fc04-2835-4440-9470-3b72d9fac269@sessionmgr4006
- Hafeez, K., Foroudi, P., Dinnie, K., Nguyen, B., & Parahoo, S. K. (2016). The role of place branding and image in the development of sectoral clusters: The case of Dubai. Journal of Brand Management, 23(4), 383-402. https://doi.org/10.1057/bm.2016.18
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., & Anderson, R. E. (2010). Multivariate data analysis: A global perspectve (Vol. 7). Pearson.
- Hair, J. F., Sarstedt, M., Pieper, T. M., & Ringle, C. M. (2012). The use of partial least squares structural equation modeling in strategic management research: A review of past practices and recommendations for future applications. Long Range Planning, 45(5-6), 320-340. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2012.09.008
- Hameed, W. U., Nisar, Q. A., & Wu, H.-C. (2020). Relationships between external knowledge, internal innovation, firms' open innovation performance, service innovation and business performance in the Pakistani hotel industry. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 92, 102745. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2020.102745
- Heyes, A., & Nadkarni, S. (2020). Luxury consumption in tourism: the case of Dubai-Part 2. Research in Hospitality Management, 10(1), 51-53. https://doi.org/10.1080/22243534.2020.1790209
- Heyes, A., & Nadkarni, S. (2019). 1 Brand Dubai: Sustaining its luxury image. In A. Sharma, J. I. Pulido-Fernandez, & A. Hassan (Eds.), Sustainable Destination Branding and Marketing (p. 1-11). CAB International.
- Hoang, T. T. H., Van Rompaey, A., Meyfroidt, P., Govers, G., Vu, K. C., Nguyen, A. T., Hens, L., & Vanacker, V. (2020). Impact of tourism development on the local livelihoods and land cover change in the Northern Vietnamese highlands. Environment, Development and Sustainability, 22(2), 1371-1395. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10668-018-0253-5
- Ishfaq, S. (2020). Dubai's taxing life: Pakistani cab drivers & perceptions of discrimination from passengers. Social Identities, 26(2), 203-218. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504630.2019.1671186
- Johnston, M. P. (2017). Secondary data analysis: A method of which the time has come. Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Libraries, 3(3), 619-626. http://www.qqml-journal.net/index.php/qqml/article/view/169
- Kaleychev, S., & Tsonev, N. (2019). Luxury tourism and its impact on Dubai primary ecosystems. Journal of Balkan Ecology, 22(1), 5-12.
- Karmakar, A. (2015). E-governance and its role in infrastructure services of UAE, case study - Dubai. In T. M. Vinod Kumar (Ed.), E-governance for smart cities (pp. 81-97). Springer.
- Kavunkil Haneef, S. (2017). A model to explore the impact of tourism Infrastructure on destination image for effective tourism marketing [Doctoral thesis, University of Salford]. http://usir.salford.ac.uk/id/eprint/42201/
- Kim, S., & Kang, Y. (2020). Why do residents in an overtourism destination develop anti-tourist attitudes? An exploration of residents' experience through the lens of the community-based tourism. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 25(8), 858-876. https://doi.org/10.1080/10941665.2020.1768129
- Łapko, A., Panasiuk, A., Strulak-Wójcikiewicz, R., & Landowski, M. (2020). The state of air pollution as a factor determining the assessment of a city's tourist attractiveness-based on the opinions of Polish respondents. Sustainability, 12(4), 1466. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12041466
- Low, M. C. (2020). Desert dreams of drinking the sea, consumed by the cold war: Transnational flows of desalination and energy from the Pacific to the Persian Gulf. Environment and History, 26(2), 145-174. https://doi.org/10.3197/096734018X15254461646549
- Lukovich, T. (2019). Justification for 'scrapping the sky.' A comprehensive international review of skyscrapers/high-rise buildings from an urban design perspective. YBL Journal of Built Environment, 7(1), 48-72. https://doi.org/10.2478/jbe-2019-0004
- Mann, R., Adebanjo, D., Abbas, A., El Kahlout, Z. M., Al Nuseirat, A. A., & Al Neaimi, H. K. (2020). An analysis of a benchmarking initiative to help government entities to learn from best practices - the 'Dubai We Learn' initiative. International Journal of Excellence in Government. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/ 10.1108/IJEG-11-2018-0006
- Michael, N., Balasubramanian, S., Michael, I., & Fotiadis, A. (2020). Underlying motivating factors for movie-induced tourism among Emiratis and Indian expatriates in the United Arab Emirates. Tourism and Hospitality Research, 20(4), 435-449. https://doi.org/10.1177/1467358420914355
- Musavengane, R., Siakwah, P., & Leonard, L. (2020). The nexus between tourism and urban risk: Towards inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable outdoor tourism in African cities. Journal of Outdoor Recreation and Tourism, 29, 100254. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jort.2019.100254
- Nasreen, S., Mbarek, M. B., & Atiq-ur-Rehman, M. (2020). Long-run causal relationship between economic growth, transport energy consumption and environmental quality in Asian countries: Evidence from heterogeneous panel methods. Energy, 192, 116628. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2019.116628
- Papastathopoulos, A., Ahmad, S. Z., Al Sabri, N., & Kaminakis, K. (2020). Demographic analysis of residents' support for tourism development in the UAE: A Bayesian structural equation modeling multigroup approach. Journal of Travel Research, 59(6), 1119-1139.
- Qamhaieh, A., & El Kaftangui, M. (2020). A few steps away yet worlds apart: A closer look at changing streetscapes in Abu Dhabi. Architecture_MPS, 17(1), 4. https://doi.org/10.14324/111.444.amps.2020v17i1.004.
- Rao, M., & Bernaz, N. (2020). Corporate responsibility for human rights in Assam tea plantations-a business and human rights approach. Wageningen Law Series, 02/2020. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3567134
- Salama, H. H. (2015). Dubai: An urbanism shaped for global tourism. Qatar University College of Engineering Working Paper. https://doi.org/10.4172/2168-9717.1000154
- Saxunova, D., & Le Roux, C. L. (2019, May 29 - June 1). Tourism industry in rural and urban areas Slovakia and United Arab Emirates examples [Conference paper]. Management International Conference, Opatija, Croatia.
- Siegel, F. R. (2019). Adaptations of coastal cities to global warming, sea level rise, climate change and endemic hazards. Springer.
- Singh, B. (2015). Smart city-smart life: Dubai Expo 2020. Middle East Journal of Business, 55(2473), 1-4.
- Sokhanvar, A., Çiftçioğlu, S., & Javid, E. (2018). Another look at tourism-economic development nexus. Tourism Management Perspectives, 26, 97-106.
- Stephens, M., Khalifa Al Nahyan, S.S.bS.b., & Schroeder, C. M. (2019). Perspective-future disruptive governments: Catching up with technological advancements and new horizons. In M. Stephens, M. El-Sholkamy, I. A. Moonesar, R. Awamleh (Eds.), Future Governments (Actions and Insights-Middle East North Africa, Vol. 7, pp. 1-39). Emerald Publishing Limited.
- Tabahi, S. (2020). The construction and reconstruction of sexuality in the Arab world: An examination of sexual discourse, women's writing and reproductive justice. Sexuality & Culture, 24, 1720-1737. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12119-020-09714-8
- Teichmann, F., Falker, M.-C., & Sergi, B. S. (2020). Corruption and the circumvention of financial sanctions via the extractive industries in Dubai. The Extractive Industries and Society, 7(3), 1022-1028. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exis.2020.05.006
- Thaker, H. M. T., Sakaran, K., Nanairan, N., Thaker, M. M. T. and Hussain, H. I. (2020), Drivers of loyalty among non-Muslims towards Islamic banking in Malaysia: Evidence from SmartPLS, International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, 13 (2), 281 - 302. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMEFM-07-2018-0211
- Turner, R. H. (1991). Security and Enforcement in Dubai and the Other United Arab Emirates. Arab Law Quarterly, 6(4), 311-321. https://doi.org/10.1163/157302591X00025
- Usman, F. M. (2019). From disabling concepts to enabling policies: Rethinking inclusion of students with special needs in Dubai's private schools [Doctoral thesis, University of Calgary]. PRISM: University of Calgary's Digital Repository. https://prism.ucalgary.ca/bitstream/handle/1880/111051/ucalgary_2019_usman_fouzia.pdf?sequence=4&isAllowed=y
- Vij, M., Upadhya, A., Vij, A., & Kumar, M. (2019). Exploring residents' perceptions of mega event - Dubai Expo 2020: A pre-event perspective. Sustainability, 11(5), 1322. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11051322
- Webb, H., & Liu, S. (2020). The sustainable falcon: Dubai's path to becoming a green economic leader. In H. C. Webb, & H. A. Al Numairy (Eds.), Entrepreneurial innovation and economic development in Dubai and comparisons to its sister cities (pp. 1-16). IGI Global.
- Zaidan, E. (2016). The impact of cultural distance on local residents perception of tourism development: The case of Dubai in UAE. Turizam: Međunarodni Znanstveno-Stručni Časopis, 64(1), 109-126.
- Zaidan, E., & Kovacs, J. F. (2017). Resident attitudes towards tourists and tourism growth: A case study from the Middle East, Dubai in United Arab Emirates. European Journal of Sustainable Development, 6(1), 291-291. https://doi.org/10.14207/ejsd.2017.v6n1p291
- Zou, H., Luan, F., Xi, H., & Yang, B. (2020). Comprehensive management for better rural infrastructure and service delivery: lessons from the implementation of China's Six Point Rural Action Plan in Guizhou Province. In B. Dahiya, & A. Das (Eds.), New urban agenda in Asia-Pacific (pp. 279-300). Springer.
- Zuo, L., Zhang, J., Zhang, R. J., Zhang, Y., Hu, M., Zhuang, M., & Liu, W. (2020). The transition of soundscapes in tourist destinations from the perspective of residents' perceptions: A case study of the Lugu Lake scenic spot, Southwestern China. Sustainability, 12(3), 1073. https://doi.org/90/su12031073