Determinants of Bank Competitiveness in Digital Era: A Case Study of South Korea
Technical innovations in Digital Era provide the incentives for banks to redesign their business operations to enhance their competitiveness. Prior studies use financial indicator as factors that affect bank competitiveness, however, with the technology advancement, Information Communication Technology (ICT) become major factors in assessing banks' competitiveness. The aim of this study is to analyze specific ICT factors, as well as financial factors, affecting bank competitiveness. This study examines all 17 commercial banks in South Korea. The ICT factors are measured by IT center operation and IT scandal released in news or mass media while the bank competitiveness is proxied by market share of each bank both in the borrowing and lending market. In addition, the study tests to retrospect financial indicators in comparison with ICT factors. Using OLS regression models, this study finds that, in the case of Korean commercial banks, ICT factors plays an importance role in bank competitiveness, however, the financial factors still have greater influences on market share than ICT factors. The implication is that banks should leverage the ICT innovation since there is a surge of ICT based non-bank financial service providers that have started to assume roles that have been traditionally played by banks. Furthermore, this study raises implications for policy makers to consider ICT security regulations in the banking market. This study contributes to the literatures by supporting the fact that the positive relationship between IT scandals and market share suggests implications to concentrated banking sectors and provides alarming with authority's monitoring system.(original abstract)
- Alber, N., & Nabil, M. (2015). The Impact of Information Security on Banks' Performance in Egypt. Ssrn, 7(9). https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2752070
- Anguelov, C.E., Hilgert, M.A., & Hogarth, J.M. (2004). U.S. Consumers and Electronic Banking, 1995-2003. Federal Reserve Bulletin, 90(1), 1-18. Retrieved from https://www.federalreserve.gov/publications/bulletin. htm%0Ahttp://0-search.ebscohost.com.wam.city.ac.uk/login.aspx?direct=true&db=eoh&AN=0681320&site=e host-live
- Announcement of a direct bank approval. (2016). Retrieved from FINANCIAL SERVICES COMMISSION website: http://www.fsc.go.kr/info/ntc_news_view.jsp?bbsid=BBS0030&page=1&sch1=subject&sword= 인터넷&r_url=&menu=7210100&no=31600
- Aregbeyen, O. (2011). The Determinants of Bank Selection Choices by Customers: Recent and Extensive Evidence from Nigeria. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2(22), 276-288.
- Barua, A., Kriebel, C.H., & Mukhopadhyay, T. (1995). Information technologies and business value: An analytic and empirical investigation. Information Systems Research. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.6.1.3
- Beccalli, E. (2007). Does IT investment improve bank performance? Evidence from Europe. Journal of Banking and Finance, 31(7), 2205-2230. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2006.10.022
- Bourke, P. (1989). Concentration and other determinants of bank profitability in Europe, North America and Australia. Journal of Banking and Finance, 13(1), 65-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-4266(89)90020-4
- Buzzell, R.D. (2004). The PIMS program of strategy research - A retrospective appraisal. Journal of Business Research, 57(5), 478-483. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(02)00314-4
- Carr, N.G. (2003). IT Doesn't Matter. Harvard Business Review.
- Chortareas, G.E., Girardone, C., & Ventouri, A. (2012). Bank supervision, regulation, and efficiency: Evidence from the European Union. Journal of Financial Stability. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfs.2011.12.001
- Definitions of Ratings and Other Forms of Opinion. (2012). New York.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, A., & Huizinga, H. (1998). Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability: some international evidence Asli Demirgüç-Kunt and Harry Huizinga 1 Revised: November 1998. World Bank Economic Review, 13(November), 379-408.
- Dermine, J. (2016). Digital banking and market disruption: a sense of déjà vu? Banque de France, (20), 17-24. Retrieved from https://publications.banque-france.fr/sites/default/files/medias/documents/financial-stabilityreview-20_2016-04.pdf
- Ebrahimi, M., Arshadi, A., & Salimi, M.S. (2016). Effective Factors on Bank Profitability in Iran. Journal of Money and Economy, 10(1), 108-129.
- Ejoh, N. O., & Acquah, J. (2014). The Impact of Market Share on Deposit Money Banks ' Profitability in Nigeria. 6(19), 81-90.
- Erina, J., & Lace, N. (2013). Commercial Banks Profitability Indicators: Empirical Evidence from Latvia. IBIMA Business Review, 2013, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.5171/2013.873515
- Etale, L.M., Bingilar, P.F., & Ifurueze, M.S. (2016). Market Share and Profitability Relationship: A Study of the Banking Sector in Nigeria. International Journal of Business, Economics and Management, 3(8), 103-112. https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.62/2016.3.8/184.108.40.206
- Gale, B.T. (1972). Market Share and Rate of Return. The Review of Economics and Statistics, 54(4), 412-423.
- Genchev, E. (2012). Effects of market share on the bank's profitability. Review of Applied Socio-Economic Research, Volume 3,(December 2012), 87-94.
- Gunther, J.W., & Moore, R.R. (2003). Loss underreporting and the auditing role of bank exams. Journal of Financial Intermediation, 12(2), 153-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1042-9573(03)00015-9
- Hakimi, A., Hamdi, H., & Djelassi, M. (2015). Testing the concentration-performance relationship in the Tunisian banking sector. Journal of Economics and Business, XVIII(2), 41-63. https://doi.org/DOI:
- Izzo, M.F. (2008). IT Investments and Firm Performance. LUISS Guido Carli. Jacobson, R., & Aaker, D.A. (1985). Is Market Share all that It's Cracked up to Be? Journal of Marketing, 49(4), 11-22.
- Jacobson, R., & Aaker, D.A. (1985). Is Market Share all that It's Cracked up to Be? Journal of Marketing, 49(4), 11-22
- Kasemsan, M.L.K., & Hunngam, N. (2012). Internet Banking Security Guideline Model for Banking in Thailand. Communications of the IBIMA, 2011, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.5171/2011.787725
- Kawshala, H., & Panditharathna, K. (2017). The Factors Effecting on Bank Profitability. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 7(2), 212-2250. Retrieved from www.ijsrp.org
- Kiseľáková, D., Hečková, J., & Chapčáková, A. (2013). Trends of Development and Factors of Competitiveness of Banking Sector in Global Economy - Empirical Study from Slovakia. International Journal of Finance and Accounting, 2(3), 138-149. https://doi.org/10.5923/j.ijfa.20130203.02
- Kolodinsky, J.M., Hogarth, J.M., & Hilgert, M.A. (2004). The adoption of electronic banking technologies by US consumers. International Journal of Bank Marketing. https://doi.org/10.1108/02652320410542536
- Kong, H., Jung, S., Lee, I., & Yeon, S.J. (2015). Information security and organizational performance: Empirical study of Korean securities industry. ETRI Journal, 37(2), 428-437. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.15.0114.1042
- Laverty, K.J. (2001). Market share, profits and business strategy. Management Decision. https://doi.org/10.1108/ EUM0000000005860
- Lee, C.C., & Hsieh, M.F. (2013). The impact of bank capital on profitability and risk in Asian banking. Journal of International Money and Finance. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jimonfin.2012.04.013
- Lee, M.C. (2009). Factors influencing the adoption of internet banking: An integration of TAM and TPB with perceived risk and perceived benefit. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 8(3), 130-141. https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2008.11.006
- Magoro, M. (2009). A study of the relationship between market share and profitability in listed South African retail companies. University of Pretoria.
- Menicucci, E., & Paolucci, G. (2016). The determinants of bank profitability: empirical evidence from European banking sector. Journal of Financial Reporting and Accounting. https://doi.org/10.1108/jfra-05-2015-0060
- Mokhlis, S., Mat, N.H.N., & Salleh, H.S. (2008). Commercial Bank Selection : The Case of Undergraduate Students in Malaysia. International Review of Business Research Papers, 4(5), 258-270. https://doi.org/10.5539/ibr.v6n6p143
- Morrar, R., Arman, H., & Mousa, S. (2017). The Fourth Industrial Revolution (Industry 4.0): A Social Innovation Perspective. Technology Innovation Management Review, 7(11), 12-20. https://doi.org/10.22215/timreview/1117
- Murray, K.B., & Schlacter, J.L. (1990). The impact of services versus goods on consumers' assessment of perceived risk and variability. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02729762
- Parker, D.B. (1997). Strategic values of information security in business. Computers and Security. https://doi. org/10.1016/S0167-4048(97)80793-6
- Porter, M.E., & Millar, V.E. (1985). How information gives you competitive advantage. Harvard Business Review, (77210), 149-160.
- Rai, A., Patnayakuni, R., & Patnayakuni, N. (1997). Technology investment and business performance. Communications of the ACM, 40(7), 89-97. https://doi.org/10.1145/256175.256191
- Reis, J., Amorim, M., Melao, N., & Matos, P. (2016). Digital Transformation: A Literature Review and Guidelines for Future Digital Transformation: A Literature Review and Guidelines for Future Research. 10th European Conference on Information Systems Management. Academic Conferences and Publishing Limited, 1(March), 20-28. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77703-0
- Rose, P.S. (2001). Commercial bank management. McGraw-Hill.
- Sadiq Sohail, M., & Shanmugham, B. (2003). E-banking and customer preferences in Malaysia: An empirical investigation. Information Sciences, 150(3-4), 207-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-0255(02)00378-X
- Sambamurthy, V., Bharadwaj, A., & Grover, V. (2003). Shaping Agility through Digital Options: Reconceptualizing the Role of Information Technology in Contemporary Firms. MIS Quarterly, 27(2), 237. https://doi. org/10.2307/30036530
- Sathye, M. (1999). Adoption of Internet banking by Australian consumers: an empirical investigation. International Journal of Bank Marketing. https://doi.org/10.1108/02652329910305689
- Schwalbach, J. (1991). Profitability and market share: A reflection on the functional relationship. Strategic Management Journal. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250120405
- Seelanatha, L. (2010). Market structure, efficiency and performance of banking industry in Sri Lanka. Banks and Bank Systems, 5(1), 20-31.
- Shin, N. (2001). The impact of information technology on financial performance: the importance of strategic choice. European Journal of Information Systems, 10(4), 227-236.
- Short, B.K. (1979). The relation between commercial bank profit rates and banking concentration in Canada, Western Europe, and Japan. Journal of Banking and Finance. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-4266(79)90016-5
- Sufian, F. (2009). Research in International Business and Finance Determinants of bank efficiency during unstable macroeconomic environment : Empirical evidence from Malaysia. Research in International Business and Finance, 23, 54-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ribaf.2008.07.002
- Tahir, M., Shah, S.S.A., & Afridi, M.A. (2017). Assessing nature of competition in banking sector of Pakistan. The Journal of Finance and Data Science, 2(4), 244-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfds.2017.04.001
- The Analysis of Financial Informative Development. (2018). Seoul.
- The World Bank Group. (2018). Information and Communications for Development. Washington DC.
- Tommi, L. (2007). Internet vs mobile banking: comparing customer value perceptions. Business Process Management Journal. https://doi.org/10.1108/14637150710834550
- Ula, M., Ismail, Z., & Sidek, Z. (2012). A Framework for the Governance of Information Security in Banking System. Journal of Information Assurance & Cybersecurity, 2011, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.5171/2011.726196
- UNCTAD. (2017). World Investment Report 2017 - INVESTMENT AND DIGITAL ECONOMY. Geneva: UNCTAD.
- Wonglimpiyarat, J. (2014). Competition and challenges of mobile banking: A systematic review of major bank models in the Thai banking industry. Journal of High Technology Management Research. https://doi.org/10.1016/j. hitech.2014.07.009
- Yannopoulos, P. (2010). The Market Share Effect: New Insights from Canadian Data. Journal of Global Business Management, 6(2), 1-10.