Analysis of EU Membership in the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organization (NAFO) as a Specific Model for EU Relations with International Intergovernmental Organizations
The article falls into the complicated and only partially analysed issues related to the essence of relations between international intergovernmental organizations. Against a background of the typology taking into account the scope and nature of EU representation in international intergovernmental organizations, it addresses the most important issues related to the essence of relations between the EC/EU and NAFO. Therefore, it discusses such matters as: the evolution of NAFO in the years 1979-2017, the nature of EU membership in NAFO, matters related to the representation and implementation of EC/EU interests on NAFO forum, as well as the system of internal coordination of EU activities in connection with its membership in this organization.(original abstract)
- Act Concerning the conditions of accession of the Kingdom of Spain and the Portuguese Republic and the adjustments to the Treaties, OJ of the EU, L 302, Vol. 28, November 15, 1985.
- Act concerning the conditions of accession of the Czech Republic, the Republic of Estonia, the Republic of Cyprus, the Republic of Latvia, the Republic of Lithuania, the Republic of Hungary, the Republic of Malta, the Republic of Poland, the Republic of Slovenia and the Slovak Republicto the EU, OJ of the EU, No. L 236, Vol. 46, September 23, 2003.
- Aneiros A.R., Spain, the European Union, and Canada: A New Phase in the Unstable Balance in the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries, "Ocean Development & International Law", vol. 42. issue 1/2, Jan.-Jun. 2011, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00908320.2011.542109.
- Belschner T., Not so green after all? The EU's role in international fisheries management: the cases of NAFO and ICCAT, "Journal of European Public Policy", vol. 22, no. 7/2015, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/13501763.2014.989891.
- Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament Community - participation in Regional Fisheries Organizations (RFOs), COM/99/0613 final.
- Convention on Cooperation in the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries, Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organization, pp. vii, viii, https://www.nafo.int/Portals/0/PDFs/key-publications/NAFOConvention-2017.pdf.
- Convention on Future Multilateral Cooperation in the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries, OJ of the EC, No. L 378, 30.12.78.
- Council Decision (EU) 2019/863 of 14 May 2019 on the position to be taken on behalf of the European Union in the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organization (NAFO) and repealing the Decision of 26 May 2014 on the position to be adopted on behalf of the Union in the NAFO,OJ of the EU, No. L 140, 28/05/2019.
- Council Decision of November 8, 2010 approving on behalf of the European Union, amendments to the Convention on Future Multilateral Cooperation in the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries (2010/717 / EU), OJ of the UE, No. L 321.
- Council Regulation (EC) No 768/2005 of 26 April 2005 establishing a Community Fisheries Control Agency and amending Regulation (EEC) No 2847/93 establishing a control system applicable to the common fisheries policy, OJ of the EU, No. L 128, 28.4.2005.
- Council Regulation (EEC) No. 3179/78 of 28 December 1978 concerning the conclusion by the European Economic Community of the Convention on Future Multilateral Cooperation in the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries, OJ of the EC, No. L378, 30.12.78.
- Emerson M. et al., Upgrading The EU's Role as Global Actor. Institutions, Law and the Restructuring of European Diplomacy, Brussels: Centre for European Studies, Egmont - The Royal Institute for International Relations European Policy Centre (EPC), Leuven Centre for GlobalGovernance Studies, University of Leuven, 2011.
- Frid R., The Relations between the EC and International Organizations. Legal Theory and Practice, Kluwer Law International, The Hague, London, Boston 1995.
- Hoffmaister F., Outsider or frontrunner? Recent developments under international and European law on the status of the European Union in international organizations and treaty bodies, "Common Market Law Review", no. 44/2007.
- Howe B., Kerby M., The Canada - EU Turbot War of 1995 and the Cybernetic Model of Decision-Making, "Round Table", vol. 98, issue 401/April 2009, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00358530902757883.
- NAFO Annual Report 2018, April 2019, p. 7, https://www.nafo.int/ Portals/0/PDFs/ar/ar2018/AR-2018.pdf (access 3.03.2020).
- NAFO Annual Reports from years 2009-2018, https://www.nafo.int/Library/General-Information/Annual-Report (access 3.03.2020).
- NAFO Perspectives Booklet, North Atlantic Fisheries Organization, NAFO Secretariat with Damon Loomer, April 2009, https://www.nafo.int/Portals/0/PDFs/GeneralInfo/NAFO-Perspectives-booklet.pdf?ver=2016-07-29-101054-407 (access 28.02.2020).
- Parsons L.S., Beckett J.S., The NAFO Model of International Collaborative Research, Management and Cooperation, "Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fishery Science", vol. 23, issue 1/June 1998, DOI: https://doi.org/10.2960/J.v23.a1.
- Regulation (EU) 2019/473 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 March 2019 on the European Fisheries Control Agency (consolidated text), OJ of the EU, L83, 25.3.2019.
- Regulation (EU) 2019/833 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 May 2019 laying down conservation and enforcement measures applicable in the Regulatory Area of the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organization, amending Regulation (EU) 2016/1627 andrepealing Council Regulations (EC) 2115/2005 and (EC) No 1386/2007,OJ of the UE L 141/1, 28.5.2019.
- Regulation (EU) No 1380/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the Common Fisheries Policy, amending Council Regulations (EC) No 1954/2003 and (EC) No 1224/2009 and repealing Council Regulations (EC) No 2371/202 and (EC) (EC) No. 639/2004 and Council Decision 2004/585/EC, OJ of the EU, No. L 354, 28/12/2013.
- Starzyk-Sulejewska J., Stosunki Unii Europejskiej z Organizacją Narodów Zjednoczonych. Podstawy prawne i instytucjonalne oraz wybrane dziedziny współpracy (The European Union Relations with the United Nations. Legal and Institutional Foundations and Selected Areas of Cooperation), WydawnictwoNaukowe Scholar, Warszawa 2015.
- Starzyk-Sulejewska J., Stosunki Unii Europejskiej z Organizacją Narodów Zjednoczonych ds. Wyżywienia i Rolnictwa - FAO) (Relations of the European Union with the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization - FAO), "Stosunki Międzynarodowe - International Relations", no. 4 (vol. 52)/2016.