China as a Peacekeeper: the Case of MINURSO
This paper examines the development of active Chinese involvement in the UN missions and contributes to a more nuanced understanding of a growing Chinese presence in the multilateral security field. In this research, the authors have used descriptive and analytical methods in addition to their ongoing fieldwork in several Sub-Saharan African countries and China. After presenting China's UN-policy, drawn upon relevant literature, the authors test a wide range of the UN resolutions and other data, comparing their case study about MINURSO to other UN Peace Operations. Though MINURSO in Western Sahara was not their top priority, China also participated in this mission, to gain valuable experiences for future cooperation. In conclusion, the paper demonstrates China's global rise in general, and its ascending position as a global security provider, in particular, via its African engagements. (original abstract)
- Amarasinghe, P., & Rajhans, S. (2020). Tracing the Civilizational Influences in the Construction of Chinese and Russian Approaches to International Law. Torun International Studies, 1(13), 5-21. https://dx.doi.org/10.12775/TIS.2020.001
- Besenyő, J. (2009): Western Sahara. Publikon Publishers, Pécs.
- Besenyő, J. (2020): Magyarország és a nyugat-szaharai válság. Monarchia Kiadó, Budapest.
- Borah, J. (2020). Peacekeeping With Chinese Characteristics. The Diplomat, September 25, 2020, from: https://thediplomat.com/2020/09/peacekeeping-with-chinese-characteristics/
- Chaziza, M., & Goldman, O. S. (2014). Revisiting China's Non-Interference Policy towards Intrastate Wars. The Chinese Journal of International Politics 7(1), 89-115.
- Chen, J. (2009). Explaining the Change in China's Attitude toward UN Peacekeeping: a norm change perspective, Journal of Contemporary China 18(58), 157-173.
- Fung, C. J. (2016). What Explains China's Deployment to UN Peacekeeping Operations. International Relations of the Asia-Pacific 16(3), 409-441.
- Gill, B., & Huang, C-H. (2009). China's Expanding Role in Peacekeeping. SIPRI Policy Paper No. 25.
- Guerrero, M. (2020). As Kenya and Djibouti Fight Over a UN Security Council Seat, China Pops Up. Pass Blue. January 24, 2020, from: https://www.passblue.com/2020/01/24/as-kenya-and-djibouti-fight-over-a-unsecurity-council-seat-china-pops-up/
- Guihong, Z., & Yuqiao, F. (2011). China's UN Diplomacy: 1971-2011. Strategic Analysis 35(6), 973-981.
- Harris, S. (2014). China's Foreign Policy. Polity Press, Cambridge.
- Huang, C-H. (2011). Principles and Praxis of China's Peacekeeping. International Peacekeeping 18(3), 257-270.
- Hirono, Miwa & Lanteigne, Marc (2011). Introduction: China and UN Peacekeeping, International Peacekeeping, 18:3, 243-256.
- ICG (2009). China's Growing Role in UN Peacekeeping. Asia Report No. 166. International Crisis Group, Beijing, New York and Brussels, from: https://www.crisisgroup.org/asia/north-east-asia/china/china-s-growing-roleun-peacekeeping
- ISDP (2018). China's Role in UN Peacekeeping Institute for Security & Development Policy, Backgrounder, March 2018, from: http://isdp.eu/content/uploads/2018/03/PRC-Peacekeeping-Backgrounder.pdf
- Kissinger, H. (2012). On China. Penguin Books, New York.
- Kurlantzick, J. (2007). Charm Offensive. How China's Soft Power Is Transforming the World. A New Republic Book, Yale University Press, New Haven & London
- Larus, E. F. (2020). Politics & Society in Contemporary China. Lynne Riener Publishers, Boulder, CO & London.
- Lei, X. (2014). China as a Permanent Member of the United Nations Security Council. International Policy Analysis, Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, April 2014.
- Lei, X. (2018). China's Development-Oriented Peacekeeping Strategy in Africa. In: Alden, C. et al. (eds.), China and Africa. Building Peace and Security Cooperation on the Continent. Palgrave Macmillan, 83-99.
- Matsuda, Y. (2016). China's UN Peacekeeping Operations Policy: Analysis of the Factors behind the Policy Shift toward Active Engagement. International Circumstances in the Asia-Pacific Series (China), Japan Digital Library (March 2016), from: http://www2.jiia.or.jp/en/digital_library/china.php
- Michel, S., & Beuret, M. (2009). China Safari. On the Trail of Beijing's Expansion in Africa. Nation Books, New York.
- Rakowska-Harmstone, Teresa (2014). Russia's Monroe Doctrine: peacekeeping, peacemaking, or imperial outreach? Securitologia 1(1): 7-45.
- Richardson, C. J. (2011). A Responsible Power? China and the UN Peacekeeping Regime. International Peacekeeping 18(3), 286-297.
- Rutkowska, P. & Adamczyk, M. (2017). China and Asia-Pacific Region in China's Military Strategy. Torun International Studies, 1(10), 83-99. https://dx.doi.org/10.12775/TSM.2017.007
- Senanayake, H. (2020). Understanding the Dragon's Entry to South Asia: Revisiting the Regional Security Complex Theory. Torun International Studies, 1(13), 73-91. https://dx.doi.org/10.12775/TIS.2020.006
- Shinn, D. H. (2008). Military and Security Relations: China, Africa, and the Rest of the World. In: Rotberg, R. I. (ed.). China into Africa. Trade, Aid, and Influence. Brookings Institute Press, Washington, D.C., 155-196.
- Shinn, D. H., & Eisenman, J. (2012). China and Africa: A Century of Engagement. University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Singh, Prashant Kumar (2011). China's 'Military Diplomacy': Investigating PLA's Participation in UN Peacekeeping Operations, Strategic Analysis, 35:5, 793-818.
- Stähle, S. (2008). China's Shifting Attitude towards United Nations Peacekeeping Operations. The China Quarterly 195, 631-655.
- Sudan Tribune (2007): Chinese president in the spotlight over Sudan. (February 2, 2007). from: https://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?iframe&page=imprimable&id_article=20053
- Sun, M. (2017). A Bigger Bang for a Bigger Buck: What China's Changing Attitude Toward UN Peacekeeping Says About Its Evolving Approach to International Institutions. Foreign Policy Analysis 13(2), 338-360.
- Tarrósy, I. (2019). The Belt and Road Initiative and Eastern Africa. In: Van der Merwe, J. at al.(eds.), BRICS and Resistance in Africa. Contention, Assimilation and Co-optation. Zed Books, London, 170-186.
- Tarrósy, I. (2020). China's Belt and Road Initiative in Africa, Debt Risk and New Dependency: The Case of Ethiopia. African Studies Quarterly 19(3-4), 9-28.
- UN (2003). Security Council Extends Mandate of Western Sahara Mission, Calls on Parties to Work Towards Acceptance of Special Envoy's Peace Plan. UN.org., from: https://www.un.org/press/en/2003/sc7833.doc.htm
- UN (2015). Security Council Extends Western Sahara Mission until 30 April 2016, Unanimously Adopting Resolution 2218 (2015). UN.org., from: https://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sc11876.doc.htm
- UN (2016a). Secretary-General Appoints Major General Wang Xiaojun of China Force Commander, United Nations Mission for Referendum in Western Sahara., from: https://www.un.org/press/en/2016/sga1689.doc.htm
- UN (2016b). Security Council Extends Mandate of United Nations Mission for Referendum in Western Sahara by 10 Votes in Favor, 2 against, with 3 Abstentions. UN.org., from: https://www.un.org/press/en/2016/sc12346.doc.htm
- UN (2017). Security Council Extends Mandate of United Nations Mission for Referendum in Western Sahara, Unanimously Adopting Resolution 2351 (2017). UN.org., from: https://www.un.org/press/en/2017/sc12807.doc.htm
- UN (2018a). Calling for Renewed Efforts to End Decades-old Western Sahara Conflict, Security Council Extends Mission, Adopting Resolution 2414 (2018). UN.org., from: https://www.un.org/press/en/2018/sc13321.doc.htm
- UN (2018b). Security Council Adopts Resolution 2440 (2018), Authorizing Six-Month Extension for United Nations Mission for Referendum in Western Sahara. UN.org, from: https://www.un.org/press/en/2018/sc13561.doc.htm
- UN (2019). Security Council Adopts Resolution 2468 (2019), Authorizing Six-Month Extension of United Nations Mission for Referendum in Western Sahara. UN.org, from: https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/sc13795.doc.htm
- UN S/2007/509 (2007). Letter dated 22 August 2007 from the Secretary-General addressed to the President of the Security Council, from: https://www.un.org/en/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=S/2007/509
- UN S/2016/1040 (2016). Letter dated 6 December 2016 from the Secretary-General addressed to the President of the Security Council, from: https://documents-ddsny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/N16/425/10/PDF/N1642510.pdf?OpenElement
- UNSC (1993). UNSC S/26797 SG report. The situation concerning Western Sahara. 24 November 1993, from: http://www.arso.org/S-93-26797.htm
- Wang, J. (1998). Chinese Perspectives on Multilateral Security Cooperation. Asian Perspective 22(3), 103-132.
- Zhongying, P. (2005). China's changing attitude to UN peacekeeping, International Peacekeeping 12(1), 87-104.