Banks, Non-bank Companies and Stock Exchange : Do we Know the Relationship?
This paper investigates the role played by the banking sector in founding, sustaining and developing stock exchange markets. The paper has constructed data on market capitalisation separately for banks and non-bank companies. We apply cointegration techniques developed by Engle and Granger  and Johansen  and we bootstrap the variables to examine the nature of relationship between the banks and stock markets. We found that banks have played an important role in the development of stock exchanges. Further, the empirical analysis made amongst ten developed and developing exchanges suggests a listing of non-bank companies important for development of stock markets. These findings have also been verified by analysing the data of an exchange not included in the test.(original abstract)
- Allen, F., 1993, Stock Markets and Resource Allocation, in: Mayer, C., Vives, X. (eds.) Capital Markets and Financial Intermediation, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Allen, F., Gale, D., 1995, A Welfare Comparison of Intermediaries and Financial Markets in Germany and the US, European Economic Review, no. 39: 179-209.
- Allen, F., Gale, D., 2000, Comparing Financial Systems, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Allen, F., Gale, D., 2001, Comparative Financial Systems: A Survey [online], Working Papers, no. 15, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, http://fic.wharton.upenn.edu/fic/papers/01/0115.pdf [access: 9.05.2014].
- Atje, R., Jovanovic, B., 1993, Stock Markets and Development, European Economic Review, no. 37: 632-640.
- Beck, T., Levine, R., 2004, Stock Markets, Banks, and Growth: Panel Evidence, Journal of Banking & Finance, no. 28: 423-442.
- Boot, A., Thakor, A., 1997, Financial System Architecture, Review of Financial Studies, no. 10: 693-733.
- Boyd, J., Smith, B., 1996, The Coevolution of the Real and Financial Sectors in the Growth Process, The World Bank Economic Review, no. 10: 371-396.
- Chakraborty, S., Ray, T., 2006, Bank-based versus Market-based Financial Systems: A Growth-theoretic Analysis, Journal of Monetary Economics, no. 53: 329-350.
- Deidda, L., Fattouh, B., 2008, Banks, Financial Markets and Growth, Journal of Financial Intermediation, no. 17: 6-36.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, A., Levine, R., 1996, Stock Market Development and Financial Intermediaries: Stylized Facts, World Bank Economic Review, no. 10: 291-321.
- Engle, R., Granger, C., 1987, Co-Integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing, Econometrica, no. 55: 251-276.
- Garcia, V., Liu, L., 1999, Macroeconomic Determinants of Stock Market Development, Journal of Applied Economics, no. 2: 29-59.
- Ghimire, B., Giorgioni, G., 2013, Finance and Growth: An Investigation into the Role of Internal, Bank and Equity Finances, Poznań University of Economics Review, no. 14: 31-46.
- Johansen, S., 1988, Statistical Analysis of Cointegration Vectors, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, no. 12: 231-254.
- Lee, B., 2012, Bank Based and Market Based Financial Systems: Time-series Evidence, Pacific-Basin Financial Journal, no. 20: 179-197.
- Levine, R., 1997, Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda, Journal of Economic Literature, no. 35: 688-726.
- Levine, R., 2002, Bank-based or Market-based Financial Systems: Which Is Better?, Journal of Financial Intermediation, no. 11: 398-428.
- Levine, R., Zervos, S., 1998, Stock Markets, Banks, and Economic Growth, American Economic Review, no. 88: 537-558.
- Li, K., 2007, The Growth in Equity Market Size and Trading Activity: An International Study, Journal of Empirical Finance, no. 14: 59-90.
- Loayza, N., Rancière, R., 2006, Financial Development, Financial Fragility, and Growth, Journal of Money, Credit & Banking, no. 38: 1051-1076.
- Minier, J., 2009, Opening a Stock Exchange, Journal of Development Economics, no. 90: 135-43.
- Saci, K., Giorgioni, G., Holden, K., 2009, Does Financial Development Affect Growth?, Applied Economics, no. 41: 1701-1707.
- Vithessonthi, C., 2014, The Effect of Financial Market Development on Bank Risk: Evidence from Southeast Asian Countries, International Review of Financial Analysis, no. 35: 249-260.