Mediating Factors Influencing the Capacities of Enterprise Network Performance
Objective: The study examined the mediating factors influencing the capacities and performance of enterprise network using some food and beverages enterprises in Lagos, Nigeria. Research Design & Methods: Primary source of data was employed in the study. The data collected from five hundred and thirty nine (539) respondents was analysed with the use of factor analysis which brings out the beauty and reality of the study. Six hundred and fifty seven (657) middle and top level management staff of six food enterprises and beverage enterprises particularly the manufacturing ones through a purposive sampling technique. Findings: When the original ten variables were analyzed, four variables were extracted from the analysis with eigenvalues greater or equal to 1, which explained 36.414 percent of the entire variance. Hence, the mediating factor influencing the capacities of enterprise network performance is Strategic Decision-Making Capacity (SDMC), Technological Capacity (TC), Efficiency Enterprise Capacity (EEC), and Complexity in Technology or Technological Turbulence (TT). Contribution & Value Added: Finally, factors influencing the capacities of network performance are Strategic Decision Making Capacity (SDMC), Technological Capacity (TC), Efficiency Enterprise Capacity (EEC), and Complexity in Technology or Technological Turbulence (TT). The result of the study is essential because of its significant contribution to the body of knowledge and literature regarding strategic management. (original abstract)
- Adeniran, A.O., Stephens, M.S., &Akinsehinwa, F.O. (2020). Factor Analysis of Passengers' Satis-faction at Murtala Muhammed Airport (MMA2). Aeronautics & Aerospace Open Access Journal,4(1), 13-24. DOI: 10.15406/aaoaj.2020.04.00101
- Adeniran, A.O., &Olorunfemi, S.O. (2019). Important Service Indicators of Public Transport System in Akure-Owo, Nigeria. Scientific Research Impact, 5(6), 285-301
- Ahmad, N., Othman, S.N., &Lazim, H.M. (2014). A review of technological capability and performance relationship in manufacturing companies. 2014 International Symposium on Technology Management and emerging technologies (ISTMET 2014).
- Ahmad, Y., & Pirzada, D.S. (2014). Using analytic hierarchy process for exploring prioritization of functional strategies in auto parts manufacturing SMEs of Pakistan. Center for Advanced Studies in Engineering (CASE), 4(4), 15-31. doi:10.1177/2158244014553560
- Akpan, P.L., Ikon, C., & Momoh, N. (2016). Economic environment and performance of food and beverages subsector of a developing economy: Nigeria. International Journal of Recent Research in Commerce Economics &Management, 3 (3), 85-90.
- Alegre, J., &Chiva, R. (2013). Linking entrepreneurial orientation and firm performance: The role of organizational learning capability and innovation performance. Journal of Small Business Management, 51(4), 491-507. doi:10.1111/jsbm.12005
- Catell, R.B., Eber, H.W., &Tatsuoka, M.M. (1970). The H&book for the Sixteen Personality Factor Questionnaire. Champaign, IL: Institute for Personality and Ability Testing.
- Chirico, F., & Salvato, C. (2008). Knowledge integration and dynamic organizational adaptation in family enterprises. Family Business Review. 21 (2), 169-181.
- Comrey, L.A., & Lee, H.B. (1992). A First Course in Factor Analysis (2nd ed.). Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Damanpour, F., & Gopalakrishnan, S. (1999). Organizational adaptation and innovation: The dynamics of adopting innovation types. In K. Brockoff, A. Chakrabarti, and J. Hauschildt (Eds.), The dynamics of innovation: Strategic and managerial implications (pp. 57-80). Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag.
- Damanpour, F., &Wischnevsky, D.J. (2006). Research on innovation in organizations: Distinguishing innovation-generating from innovation-adopting organizations. Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, 23(4), 269-291. doi:10.1016/j. jengtecman.2006.08.
- Daniel, E., & Wilson, H.N. (2003). The role of dynamic capabilities in business transformation. European Journal of Information Systems, 12(4), 282-96.
- Eisenhardt, K.M., & Martins, J.A. (2000). Dynamic capabilities: What are they? Strategic Management Journal, 21, 1105-1121.
- Fadare, S.O. & Adeniran, A.O. (2018) Comparative analysis of public operated airport terminal and concessioned airport terminal in Lagos, Nigeria. Discovery, 54(272): 304-318.
- Foreman-Peck, J. (2013). Effectiveness and efficiency of SME innovation policy. Small Business Economics, 41(1), 55-70. doi:10.1007/s11187-012-9426-z
- Garone, L.F, Maffioli, A., de Negri, J.A., Rodriguez, C.M., & Vazquez-Bare, G. (2015). Cluster development policy, SME's performance, and spillovers: Evidence from Brazil. Small Business Economics,44(4), 925-948. doi:10.1007/s11187-014-9620-2
- Gorsuch, R.L. (1983). Factor Analysis (2nd ed.). Erlbaum.
- Grewal, R., &Tansuhaj, P. (2001). Building organizational capabilities for managing economic crisis: The role of market orientation and strategic flexibility. Journal of Marketing, 65(2), 67-80.
- Guilford, J.P. (1954). Psychometric methods (2nd ed.). McGraw Hill.
- Guilford, J.P. (1967). The Nature of Human Intelligence. NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Guo, H., Xu, H., Tang, C., Liu-Thompkins, Y., Guo, Z., & Dong, B. (2018). Comparing the impact of different marketing capabilities: Empirical evidence from B2B enterprises in China. J. Bus. Res., 93, 79-89.
- Hashim, N.A.B., Raza, S., &Minai, M.S. (2018). Relationship between Entrepreneurial Competencies and Small Enterprise Performance: Are Dynamic Capabilities the Missing Link? Academy Strategic Management Journal, 17, 1-10.
- Hedvall, K., Jagstedt, S., & Dubois, A. (2019). Solutions in business networks: Implications of an interorganizational perspective. J. Bus. Res., 4(3), 31-46.
- Ibidunni, O.S., & Inelo, F. (2004). Market oriented strategic flexibility and market performance of the furniture industry in Southwest Nigeria under fierce competitive environment. Sky Journal of Business Administration &Management, 3(1), 8-16.
- Ibidunni, O.S., Iyiola, O., & Ibidunni, A.S. (2014). Product innovation, a survival strategy for small and medium enterprises in Nigeria. European Scientific Journal, 10(1), 194-209.
- Industrial Development Report (2016). The role of technology and innovation in inclusive and sustainable industrial development. United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO. https://www.greengrowthknowledge.org/research/industrial-development-report-2016-role-technology-and-innovation-inclusive-and-sustainable
- Jegede, O.O., Ilori, M.O., Sonibare, J.A., Oluwale, B.A.,&Siyanbola, W.O. (2012). Factors influencing innovation and competitiveness in the service sector in Nigeria: a subsectoral approach. Management, 2 (3), 69-79.
- Kemper, J., Schilke, O., & Brettel, M. (2013). Social capital as a microlevel origin of organizational capabilities. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 30(3), 589-603.
- Machirori, T., & Fatoki, O. (2013). The Impact of Enterprise and Entrepreneur's Characteristics on Networking by SMEs in South Africa. Journal of Economics, 4, 113-120.
- Mohd, F., Mohd, S., & Hoshino, Y. (2013). Sales growth, profitability and performance: empirical study of Japenese ICT industries with three Asean countries. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 4(11), 138-156.
- Nimalathasan, B. (2009). Factor Analysis: Nature, Mechanism and Uses in Social & Management Research. Journal of Cost & Management Accountant Bangladesh, XXXVII (2), 15-25.
- Obasi, C. (2013). Nigerian business environment daunting: Challenges and suggested solutions. British Journal of Economics, Finances and Management Sciences, 7(1), 47-52.
- Obembe, J.J., Ojo, O.J.,&Ilori, M.O. (2014). Effects of technological capabilities, innovations and clustering on the performance of enterprises in the Nigerian furniture industry. International Journal of Management Technology, 2(2), 19-28.
- Oghojafor, B.E.A., Kuye, O.L., Ogunkoya, O.A., &Shobayo, P.B. (2014). Competitive strategies, technological capabilities and organizational performance: Evidence from Nigerian manufacturing industry. Arabian Journal of Business and Management Review (Nigerian Chapter), 11-22.
- Oladele, O.I., Akinsorotan, A.O., &Ajadi, A.A. (2010). Knowledge and utilization of job enrichment techniques among agricultural extension managers in Botswana and Nigeria. The Journal of International Social Research, 3(12), 327-334.
- Olamade, O.O., Oyebisi, T.O., &Egbetokun, S.O. (2013). Manufacturing business environment in Nigeria strategic characteristics and implications. Advances in Management and Applied Economics, 3(6), 53-65.
- Oluwale, B.A., Ilori, M.O. &Oyebisi, T.O. (2013). An assessment of technological capability building in the informal Nigerian automobile sector. Journal of Business and Management Sciences, 1(4), 55-62.
- Rasiah, R. (2002). Government-business coordination and small enterprise performance in the machine tools sector in Malaysia. Small Business Economics, 18(1/3), 177-194. doi:10.1023/ A:1015139624218
- Rehman, K.U., & Saeed, Z. (2015). Impact of dynamic capabilities on enterprise performance: capabilities, form, & function. Academy of Management Journal, 44, 1263-1278.
- Rindova, V.P., & Kotha, S. (2001). Continuous 'morphing': competing through dynamic capabilities, form, and function. Academy of Management Journal, 44, 1263-1278.
- Rodrigo-Alarcón, J., García-Villaverde, P.M., Ruiz-Ortega, M.J., &Parra-Requena, G. (2018). From social capital to entrepreneurial orientation: The mediating role of dynamic capabilities. European Management Journal, 36, 195-209.
- Seung, K.A. (2014). A study on the business ecosystem of German SMEs and its implications for Korean SMEs: Focusing on the hidden champion enterprises in Germany. Korean Journal of Economics Management, 32, 69-95.
- Sherazi, S.K., Iqbal, M.Z., Asif, M., Rehman, K., & Shah, S.H. (2013). Obstacles to small and medium enterprises in Pakistan. Principal component analysis approach. Middle East Journal Science Research, 13, 1325-1334.
- Shimizu, K., &Hitt, M.A. (2004). Strategic flexibility: Organizational preparedness to reverse ineffective strategic decisions. Academy of Management Executive, 18(4), 44-59.
- Spearman, C. (1904). General intelligence objectively determined and measured. American Journal of Psychology, 15, 201-293.
- Stock, E., & Wennberg, K. (2009). The roles of R&D in new enterprise growth. Management Research Journal,33(1), 77-89.
- Teece, D. J., Pisano, G., & Shuen, A. (1997). Dynamic capabilities and strategic management. Strategic Management Journal, 18(7), 509-533.
- Teece, D. (2009). Dynamic capabilities and strategic management: Organizing for innovation& growth. Oxford University Press.
- Teece, D.J. (2012). Dynamic capabilities: Routines versus entrepreneurial action. Journal of Management Studies, 49 (8), 1395-1401.
- Udemba, F. S. (2015). Understanding the food, beverages and tobacco operating environment. Manufacturing Association of Nigeria News, 17.
- Wong, C., & W.Y. (2013). Leveraging environmental information integration to enable environmental management capability and performance. Journal of Supply Chain Management, 49 (2), 114-136.
- Zahra, S.A., Saprienza, H.J., & Davidson, P. (2006). Entrepreneurship and dynamic capabilities: A review, model & research agenda. Journal of Management Studies, 43 (4), 917-955.
- Zhang, M.J. (2007). IS support for top managers' dynamic capabilities, environmental dynamism, and enterprise performance: An empirical investigation. Journal of Business &Management, 13(1), 57-77.
- Zhu, Q., Cordeiro, J., & Sarkis, J. (2013). Institutional pressures, dynamic capabilities and environmental management systems: Investigating the ISO 9000-Environmental management system implementation linkage. J. Environ. Manag, 114, 232-242
- Zikmund, W.G. (2003). Exploring marketing research (8th Edition). Thompson Learning/Southwestern, Cincinnati, OH.